An Oldies Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I thought his name sounded familiar... :agree:

2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Well....anyone can make a claim or deny one....and sometimes people give a little more credence to a 'authoritive' type vs. a common forum member...but here's a quick quote from George Martin, The Beatles producer who I'd personally say has as much of an authoritive view of anyone in music I can think of....

From The Beatles "Love" cd, the remixes-mishmashed production of their tunes...

Introductions by George Martin & Giles Martin

In June 2006 the show “Love” opened to a wonderful reception in the Mirage in Las Vegas. Years before, the original idea was born in the most unlikely of places. George Harrison and Guy Laliberte, the founder of Cirque du Soleil, were both enormous fans of motor racing and when they met they became firm friends. As a consequence a unique collaboration was formed between the fantastic world of Cirque du Soleil and the brilliance of Beatles music. Guy discussed the concept with Gilles Ste-Croix, his Head of Creation, and plans were laid, negotiations commenced and eventually I was approached to work on the music. My brief was to create a soundscape of around one and a half hour’s length using any sound I needed from the original Beatles multi-track recordings. It was an offer one could hardly refuse, and I asked my son Giles if he would work with me on this project.

So we embarked on a unique odyssey, traveling with some great artistes and designers from Cirque du Soleil. A gifted director, Dominic Champagne, was appointed, heading a team of prodigious creativity. Giles and I were lucky; not only were they all talented in their respective roles, they were extremely nice people to work with and we all become firm friends. We started as we meant to continue by pushing the musical boundaries. It was a risky strategy considering the material we were experimenting with, but it started to pay dividends immediately. It was Giles who suggested that we utilize that marvellous and hypnotic drum beat from Ringo to combine “Within You Without You” with “Tomorrow Never Knows.” It worked brilliantly and set us on our way.

It took over two years for us to bring the rest of our work to its final form, but it proved to be a fascinating journey for Dominic, Giles and me. Our collaboration worked well. Dominic would listen to our experimental mixes and design his scenes around them and conversely he would describe an idea he had and ask us for a particular realization of a song. It was a two-way creation and for us similar to writing music for a film.

Listening again to all these great tracks in such detail you can’t help but be knocked out by the band’s writing and performances. “Come Together” is such a simple song but it stands out because of the sheer brilliance of the performers. Paul’s bass riff makes a fantastic foundation for Ringo’s imaginative drumming, and John’s vocal with heavy tape echo has a marvelous effect when he claps his hands and hisses into the microphone. George’s guitar is equally distinctive, and altogether I believe this is one of the Beatles greatest tracks.

We agonized over the inclusion of “Yesterday” in the show. It is such a famous song, the icon of an era, but had it been heard too much? The story of the addition of the original string quartet is well know, however few people know how limited the recording was technically, and so the case for not including it was strong, but how could anyone ignore such a marvellous work? We introduce it with some of Paul’s guitar work from “Blackbird” and hearing it now, I know that I was right to include it. Its simplicity is so direct; it tugs at the heartstrings.

During the process I was asked to write a string score for an early take of George’s poignant “While My Guitar Gently Weeps.” I was aware of such a responsibility but thankfully everyone approved of the result. “Yesterday” was the first score I had written for a Beatle song way back in 1965 and this score, forty-one years later, is the last. It wraps up an incredible period of my life with those four amazing men who changed the world.

Of course, nothing could happen without the endorsement of Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia, and we would arrange for the four of them to hear what we were doing as we went along. Their support, advice and encouragement was invaluable and a marvellous spur to our efforts.

– George Martin

Just sayin'....

And really, there are countless highly experienced folks in the music industry and elsewhere who agree. You don't agree ? Your choice. :whistle:

I happen to be in Sir George's camp.

3. Django

Django Forum Resident

Very dissapointed in that Love CD, sold it.
    Too reverential, they needed to let someone like aphex twin loose on it.

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I imagine that there are a lot of people on this forum who strongly prefer the music of the classic rock era to most of what has come since. That's perfectly valid and to be expected given the forum's demographic. Honestly, I can't say that I get the same kind of thrill out of the bulk of today's popular music scene, but I recognize that this is my own subjective bias talking, a factor of my ever growing age. It's really not a problem until you start launching threads about how music died in the late 70s or continually railing against those damn lazy millennials and their smart phones. One might hope that older, more mature minds might have a little more perspective on these issues, recognizing that this kind of generational divide has always been around. Celebrate the music you love, by all means, but please try not to be a condescending jerk about it, particularly when you haven't even bothered to try to understand where today's youth is coming from.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    strummer101, eddiel, Gaslight and 3 others like this.
  5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

all you need is love, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

6. Tristero

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

He was kidding.

8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

Which record or records changed the world? The Beatles? Stones? Grateful Dead?
    Name one.
    In the 60s, or for that matter, in the history of recorded music. Name one.
    Name one song that changed the civil rights movement. One song that changed the Vietnam war.

As far as I know, Rosa Parks didn't make any records, nor Martin Luther King Jr...........

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I have a couple of these, interesting stuff probably worth a listen for many people

KeninDC and Grant like this.
  9. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

As mentioned in the article, the documentary "How The Beatles Rocked The Kremlin"
    is required viewing for any Beatles fan or music historian. The Beatles were in fact the
    catalyst for the eventual downfall of the communist Soviet Union.
    The entire doc is on youtube, and here's part one:

10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, I was kidding too! :laugh:

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I guess that's right - it was actually released before Nevermind, right? I guess I think of it as a 92 album because that's when the band began getting publicity and when I first became aware of the album.

12. DeadLoss

DeadLoss Well-Known Member

It's certainly a highly censored forum. Try suggesting the four were less than fab, and it'll be zapped quicker than you can say "Klaatu barada nikto".

13. Durm

Durm Forum Resident

I may have missed a post or two. But excepting one McCartney obsessive it's been a pretty clean thread in terms of actual declarations of "my music is better than yours." I don't count people who proclaim a love of a certain artist/genre as an attack on other music, 'cause it isn't.

And that same McCartney fan is the only one posting about his generation's music changing the world, at least that I'm aware of, or until Pepsi chimes in here.

14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I can't speak for the world....although neither can you, honestly.

But in my world it has as much meaning now as it did then. And the shows I go to it seems like there are like-minded folks out there. I'll probably meet a few others on Saturday as well.

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

There have been few others with various levels of this attitude. And not just in this thread, it permeates elsewhere.

It's a small minority but they seem to have the ability to band together at times where the sum becomes bigger than the parts.

Durm and ralphb like this.
  16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

This is a gross misconception of this forum. Opposing viewpoints of The Beatles are not deleted. Posts or threads with the obvious intent of trolling or making ridiculous comparisons (eg. Ringo Starr vs. Patrick the Starfish) are removed. We do remove any posts that are not in alignment with the forum mission, or blatantly violate forum rules and behavior. All other posts or threads are not removed, no matter how stupid they are, ie. your post above was NOT deleted.

17. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Here's the deal, in the real world it's not a crime or an indictment to have a difference of opinion!

Seems some think the world is out of order if you don't think exactly as they do?

I have a perfectly legitimate reason for knowing and believing that music back in the day helped to change people and the world!

I LIVED AND WITNESSED IT!

My opinion doesn't come from some imaginary place! I saw what happened on the Edmund Pettus Bridge, the people hurt, the people beaten, the lives destroyed!

I saw with my own eyes what effect that had on my own family members, and I saw how that music back in those days helped to keep people going, giving them hope, courage, faith, a will to continue! How it changed their thinking, their approach to living, their expectations for the future!

I SAW THIS!

So no amount of speculation can change what I witnessed myself, I saw the change that music had, on many people!

It should be stated that different forms of music helped with that change!

broshfab4 and Zeki like this.
  18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

No, music now can't have the same or as much meaning as it did back in the day, because it's two totally different worlds!

The situations, circumstances, conditions are totally different now!

19. Tristero

Do you have broshfab4 on ignore? He's not just celebrating classic rock--he regularly goes out of his way to run down new music in the most contemptuous manner possible.

Durm and Gaslight like this.
  20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I don't put down all new music!

You can find some good in just about anything, just last night I discovered a new band that I like very much.

I discovered them because I am open to looking and listening. As I posted earlier, when I listen you have to grab me and they did, now I want to hear more.

The band is St. Paul and The Broken Bones!

Freedom Rider likes this.
  21. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

People derive strength and solace from music, it's a balm and a source of energy and joy. It's a meeting place for like minded souls who might otherwise feel disenfranchised. So if you want to say that music can be a soundtrack and a support to upheaval, to change, then of course, you're right. But real change comes from real work both behind the scenes and on the street. That type of work is always better if it has a beat behind it.
    And yes, music can still have the same type of effect. You think no one is using Kendrick Lamaar as a soundtrack for whatever changes they may be going through? You think some gay or transgender kids aren't listening to a band like PWR BTTM and deriving strength from that? What about the dance and pop songs that are supportive of people whose lives may not quite coincide with the norm? Songs where the meaning may not be obvious to you, but quite obvious to others. Madonna has been doing stuff like that for years, as has Lady Gaga, and others. Music has just as much meaning for people now as it did then, in just the same ways. It's just not as obvious. Except for when it is.

22. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

If "the situations, circumstances, conditions are totally different now", how can you objectively compare the meaning of modern music to that of the past? Maybe it doesn't mean less - maybe its meaning manifests itself in a different way? You admitted yourself the musical landscape has completely changed - so maybe we should look at music and analyse its impact on society in a different way too?

"Meaning" encompasses a lot of different things. A simple saccharine love song playing in the background can mean a heck of a lot more to a young couple kissing for the first time than a thousand mega-meaningful political protest songs.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    strummer101 and ralphb like this.
  23. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I'm curious, how exactly do you make a flexi-disc from an x-ray?

24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

You can take any route to justify anything!

My point was and is that music back in the day without a doubt meant something, and the whole world saw and witnessed it!

With that music and those times, you don't have to play the what if game!

broshfab4 likes this.
  25. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Does anyone deny it? I sure don't. I know first hand how much people in the Soviet Union were impacted by western music, especially The Beatles. So yes, what you're saying is absolutely true.

Zeki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.