Black Sabbath's Original Lineup: Vote for Your 3 Favorites

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by profholt82, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard Thread Starter

Choose your 3 favorites or the 3 that you consider the best of Black Sabbath's first 8 albums. This thread is concerned with the period (1968-1978) in which the band consisted of the original lineup of Tommy Iommi on guitar, Bill Ward on drums, Geezer Butler on bass and Ozzy Osbourne on vocals. Following 'Never Say Die,' Osbourne left the band, and they went through a series of different vocalists and have changed lineups a number of times in the years since. While they put out some very good records in these subsequent years, this thread is concerned with their original lineup and first decade of work.

While I have always liked Sabbath to an extent, beyond 'Paranoid' and the radio hits, I had never delved much deeper into their catalogue until recently. And I have been very impressed by what I have heard. As a relative Sabbath noob, I would like to know which of their albums the knowledgable members here consider to be their best, and also which of their albums that are not regarded as highly. Please explain your choices or discuss which of their albums are not as good if you wish to, as I would love to hear your thoughts about their work.

Unluckystrike likes this.
  2. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I went with Paranoid, Master of Reality, and Vol. 4, but I could have just as easily picked Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

3. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

2, 3, and 4.
    1 would be fourth. Nothing else even close for me.

4. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Tough decision...

Black Sabbath
    Vol. 4
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I chose Sabotage, Vol IV and Master of Reality. I think the band thoroughly outdid itself with Sabotage as a distillation of everything that came before while taking it more than a few steps further. But the rawness of MoR and IV is certainly worth enjoying.

I think the first six albums is a run unequalled in rock, except by Steely Dan's run in the '70s.

6. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Master Of Reality and Black Sabbath are one and two respectively.

Chose Sabbath Bloody Sabbath as third, but easily could have chosen Paranoid.

7. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

You can't go wrong with the first 5. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (5) is more diverse than the first 4. All 5 are gold.

Sabotage (6) is a step down but still has many great moments.

amonjamesduul and seed_drill like this.
  8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The first three. No hesitation. Probably the three most-played LP's in my collection.

9. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Vol. 4, Paranoid, Master of Reality, in that order.

10. S/T, Master of Reality and Sabotage. Paranoid is great, but overplayed in my youth so it did not get my vote. I still have a soft spot for Technical Ecstasy, but I think I would only rate it higher than Never Say Die and MAYBE Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Volume 4 is in the middle of the pack for me.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  11. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Volume 4 -- Iommi, Geezer, and Ward pushed to the fore - a crash/bang/burn barnstormer of a heavy rock album. Ozzy's off-key yelps and screams are kept to a minimum thanks to the rhythm section and Iommi being pushed to the fore by a wonderful production and mix.

Olias of Sunhill and Erik Tracy like this.
  12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'm sure Paranoid will win this handily, but I think they peaked on Sabotage...just a monster of an album, especially side 1. Second for me would be Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, followed by Vol 4. Obviously I go for their more experimental material.
    Sabbath was my favorite band growing up. I started with them when one of my older brothers gave me his copy of Paranoid. It kinda scared the crap out of me actually, but I was only 9 (it was 1970). Anyway, I got the first one later...and that one scared the crap outta me too. I waited impatiently for each from then on, and I think they got better and better with each album. Until....Technical Ecstacy. :thumbsdow Biggest disappointment I've ever had in an album. How could you go from The Writ...to Rock and Roll Doctor? :help:

13. Same here.

14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I agree...especially the first 2. After Master Of Reality...things get a bit patchy, here and there.

dkmonroe likes this.
  15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Yeah. Him and Johnny Page were awesome.

Mickey2 likes this.
  16. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard Thread Starter

Hahaha :unhunh:
    Whoops, you got me.

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The Paranoid and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are easy for me, but it's a tossup between Masters of Reality and Vol. 4.

18. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

Vol 4, SBS and Sabotage for me. Master of Reality just missing out.

19. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Today is Thursday, so for today, I'd go with:
    * Paranoid (the awesome epicness of War Pigs is the essence of Sabbath, imho)
    * Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (National Acrobat is like tuning into an alien radio station and being sucked into bizarre)
    * Sabotage (age has proven this to be strong to the core)

20. ian christopher

I wish A National Acrobat and the title track to SBS were on Volume 4.

SBS (the album) goes downhill after the first 2 tracks IMHO.

21. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Yeah, "Killing Yourself To Live" ... "Spiral Architect" I mean.... what were they thinking!?

Mickey2, moops, Murph and 2 others like this.
  22. ian christopher

don't care for those tunes but more power to you.

23. ian christopher

although Sabbra Cadabra has its moments.

krlpuretone likes this.
  24. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

4:08 into Killing Yourself to Live has some of the most mind crushing sonics laid down by Sabbath.

I also really get into Looking for Today - a well crafted song. And Bill Ward sounds like he is using two of Thor's hammers on the percussive exit to this song.

Sandinista and Murph like this.
  25. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

We all have different taste, I think that's just the first time I've heard this opinion.

I wonder when they used to open with "Killing Yourself To Live" how many fans used to turn to their mates and say, "You know, I don't care for this tune."

Mickey2 and ian christopher like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.