Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. RPhelps

RPhelps Forum Resident

My favorite thread !

2. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    NP. I really like this album (but then I like everything I've heard of Bill Evans) but apparently the powers that be weren't so sure and it didn't get released until '82. But what a line up with some great work! Highly recommended.
    Goes very well with Gunpowder green tea:)

Stu02, vanhooserd, Lonson and 2 others like this.
  3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    MM 33

I've been critical of Hank Mobley before, perhaps unfairly. In a world of tenor saxophonists that includes Rollins, Coltrane, and Shorter, among countless others, his smoothly swinging sound, lyricism, and romanticism isn't my preference. But I listened to this yesterday after playing Kind of Blue, and noticed a lot of similarities. Then I read the notes on the back cover, and realized the author had noticed them, too. I listened more carefully, and "This I Dig of You" caught my ear especially. A little more reading revealed it to be Mobley's most famous composition, on arguably his most famous album. All I can is my reexamination of Mobley continues. I also played Blue Note 1568 (Hank Mobley Sextet) and Roll Call, which features the same lineup as Soul Station, plus Freddie Hubbard. Good stuff. Not what I'm always in the mood for, but my wife loved it as the background to dinner.

4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Maybe. But I think at a certain point, if people are going to find their way to jazz, they're going to need an entry point to jazz that not hyphenated jazz or jazz that's barely jazz, which is kind of what I think On the Corner is. Someone who loves acid house and On the Corner is not necessarily going to find their way to Workin', Cookin', Relaxin'and Steamin', or to, I dunno, the Ellington Blanton-Webster years or the Hot Fives and Sevens or Mingus Ah Um or the Bird Dial sessions: the great masterworks and pivotal important works of the genre. But someone who love Kind of Blue might very well do so. FWIW, I'm the opposite from you on some of this material, I like the live stuff with Pete Cosey -- Agharta and Dark Magus -- but I've never warmed to On the Corner.

5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Got into a FB fan group of Mobley's recently and it's caused me to explore his work more. Your notes here are intriguing as well. Roll Call was the first Mobley I purchased and while I initially liked it, it didn't spark me to get more of his leader dates. Hearing additional music from him, especially his later dates - which ironically aren't typically heralded as his best - piqued my interest even more. I've slowly learned that his compositions with Duke Pearson arrangements can be knock-outs.

6. Bobby Buckshot

Yesterday's post from Charles Mingus' FB page:

"Eric Dolphy explained to me that there was something similar to the concentration camps once in Germany now down South, and the only difference between the electric barbed wire is that they don't have gas chambers and hot stoves to cook us in yet. So I wrote a piece called "Meditations" as to how to get some wire cutters before someone gets some guns to us." - Charles Mingus

Even though Mingus' quote seems a bit truncated/incomplete, I still get what he's saying. I love learning the origin of these masters' compositions.

Stu02, peter1, garrincha and 4 others like this.
  7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Following up Street of Dreams with some hyphenated jazz :)

Miles Davis - Live-Evil

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    garrincha, alankin1, BKphoto and 11 others like this.
  8. Bobby Buckshot

The next time you get a free 26 minutes, check out this video from CBS' Jazz From 61 with Ben Webster's group at the time along with Ahmad Jamal's trio. Crazy that stuff like this was actually on major network television:

9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Thanks for not posting the Evil reverse with J Edgar Hoover ;).

Lonson, Bobby Buckshot and rxcory like this.
  10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

You mean this?

[​IMG]

hehe

fingerpoppin, Lonson and DTK like this.
  11. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

I don't have this but I'm a huge Blue Mitchell fan...

Aura, garrincha and rxcory like this.
  12. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I like this album but the studio versions of Since I Fell For You and the samba covers of I Concentrate On You and And I Love Her pale in comparison to live versions they can pull off.

Brad Mehldau - Blues and Ballads.

[​IMG]

13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Live-Evil got me in the mood to have lunch with Hendrix.

Jimi Hendrix - Rainbow Bridge (2014 Experience Hendrix reissue, LP)

[​IMG]

fingerpoppin, markp, btf1980 and 8 others like this.
  14. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

I may be the odd one out...

while I'm a mad-man, jazz crazed, lunatic audiophile..

I like cheeseburgers
    Beer flavored beer
    coffee flavored coffee

Ha...

JeffMo, Lonson and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

and I like:

beer flavored craft beer
    craft beer flavored craft beer
    coffee flavored beer
    beer flavored cheeseburgers
    just beer
    instant coffee

BKphoto and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Fred Anderson - Timeless Live at the Velvet Lounge. One of my favorites from the 2000s.

[​IMG]

17. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Great release, indeed.

hvbias likes this.
  18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

One I play often :thumbsup:

19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I only have Back at the Velvet Lounge on mp3, haven't listened to it in a while, this reminds me that I need to brush off the ol' virtual dust on it some time soon.

Now Playing, another freshly cleaned Music Matters reissue:

Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop (Music Matters 33.3)

[​IMG]

rxcory, jeffsjazz, GruvyWade and 6 others like this.
  20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Chilling to Hank Mobley on 'Round Midnight from The Blackhawk from a 1990 Japanese cd of Miles' Directions.
    I think Hank is awesome on the Blackhawk material. He's underrated, perhaps because he couldn't really fill Coltrane's shoes. On the other hand that made Miles work harder as he had to provide some fireworks himself.

I read that Hank was a big hit with the black crowd; unlike Trane he was smooth, urban and...I dunno, economical.

rxcory, jeffsjazz, btf1980 and 4 others like this.
  21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Wow, Whistle Stop is something else. I know I've read similar things either on this thread or others, but these Music Matters really sound great and they did a fantastic job picking items for reissue. Out of the 20-25 I have, every one of them I've came away from listening thinking "that's one of my new favorite albums". I usually do most of my listening through headphones because there's always someone around here or kids are sleeping; they sound great through headphones. But, my wife took the girls to visit her parents until Sunday, our nanny is on vacation, and my son is at school until 3:30, so the last two days have been a rare time when I have the house to myself and can really crank up the system... these MM records really sound nice cranked up and through speakers. Made me think I need to click submit on my acoustic sounds cart I've been sitting on for a couple weeks now so I can try to get as many of them as possible before they sell out.

Sorry, enough of the :blah:. Got to get a little more work done and switch back to CD before heading out to the playground.

Now playing: McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy

[​IMG]

Stu02, rxcory, Aura and 11 others like this.
  22. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I hope so. Looking forward to seeing them live at the RNCM in May.

dzhason likes this.
  23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

At best, I only fit number 3. Even that is not so much anymore. Since I have gout, I only have a few drinks a month. I make sure they are very good ones though.

I only drink iced coffee which most connoisseurs would scoff at.

I'll never be an audiophile and never want to be. That was reenforced years ago when I listened to a brick walled recording someone's high end system. It was unlistenable and the only available version of that recording. I have nice equipment, but it's all cheap vintage gear that's very forgiving of bad recordings. The music really is what matters to me. If nothing else is available, I'll listen to music from my iPhone's speakers and enjoy it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    JeffMo and Jacline like this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

My main source is Tea Trekker from outside Boston. Their teas can appear expensive to those not familiar with fine teas but as they explain and I have proven, quality tea will usually allow resteeping of the tea multiple times. Some of my teas I have steeped four or five times. If you resteep your teas the price per cup is pennys, even when the tea costs $100/pound. It doesn't mean it starts out strong and gets weaker with each cup either. The flavors usually intensify during the first two or three resteepings and then fades a little with each cup. I certainly don't feel miserly by doing that, it feels smart. Some oolongs as you probably know take a few steepings for the tea to completely unfurl so tossing the leaves after one cup seems foolish to me, not to mention wasteful.

My other main mail order shop is Tealyra. Their prices are lower than Tea Trekker but quality, while very good imo is not quite at the quality level of TT. I have a local shop but selection is not real great, a reflection on the local market I suppose. So I buy primarily on line. The first green and white teas of China are just arriving on these shores and new Oolongs will be coming to market in May.

Tea Trekker – Pure, origin-specific, seasonal leaf teas from China, Japan, India, Korea, Nepal, Taiwan. Sourced by us at tea farms and tea factories that we visit and air shipped to us at the time of harvest / manufacture for maximum freshness.

Loose leaf tea - Buy tea online - Tealyra Store

Tealyra has some foo foo teas as well (fruit and flower flavored, weightloss teas, etc.) but they have some good oolongs and pu-ehrs too.

25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I like that one a lot too. I too kind of ignored it when I was in my early stages of exploring his music but after I bought the complete Riverside box I kind of rediscovered it, I had it on cd for a while. I think early on I wanted to hear more of Bill so I can see why some would prefer his trios but I think there is room for his occassional forays into other settings.

NP Dexter Gordon - Gettin' Around (Blue Note) Music Matters
    Just arrived this afternoon so I'm giving it a spin now.

jeffsjazz, David Ellis and dzhason like this.