Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

I'll let you guys be the guinea pigs on this since the 203 is still not completely sorted out.
    The HDMI jitter reduction is the most interesting feature but it looks like it's going to be on the HDMI 2 output only. That would work for older pre-processors and receivers. What about the newer 2.2 HDMI compatible units that utilize only HDMI 1?
    The 203 still suffers from a HDMI handshake issue when using both HDMI outs. I have to stop playback if I want to view on screen info with my 203. I hope it's all sorted out by the time the 205 is released.

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I was going to wait to grab a refurbished 205 as I did with the 105D but said screw it and just ordered one :righton:! Should ship on 4/28.

ben_wood likes this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The HDMI jitter reduction circuitry is what pushed me to order the 205. I'll be using both HDMI outputs which will be both going to two different HDMI inputs on my Emotiva XMC-1. HDMI (Main) will be used for Blu-ray viewing to a 1080p plasma. HDMI (Audio Only) output will go to another HDMI input which will be used for music only. Hopefully this will not cause any HDMI handshake issues as both HDMI outputs of the 205 are going to the XMC-1. The XMC-1 is only HDMI 1.4 but if all of it's HDMI inputs were 2.2 it'd be the same setup. One for video and one for audio to take advantage of the HDMI jitter reduction for music.

4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Presumably all the "bugs" will eventually be fixable via firmware updates. Maybe I should have said "hopefully"

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm not really concerned about "bugs" with the 205. I've owned a number of Oppo players (83, 83SE, 95, 103 and 105D) with minimal issues. I'm very confident in Oppo and the way the constantly work to get issues resolved.

6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

What a great link! Clearly explains why not all transports are created equal, why it's not really about the 1's and the 0's at all and why so many "experts" seem to have disliked HDMI in the past. Maybe with this new fix then HDMI can truly become a connection of choice for audiophiles and those who just want one cable to do it all? Now we just need to see HDMI implemented in dedicated stereo equipment on a wider scale.

Bill Mac likes this.
  7. ti-triodes

I asked the question over at AVS and Bob P (who else :)) immediately gave me an answer. You need to use both HDMI outputs on the 205 in order to utilize the jitter upgrade. Any contemplating getting the 205 for this feature need to keep it in mind since it will not be available via HDMI 1. Any HDMI handshake issues should be fixed be Oppo eventually but I wouldn't expect them by the time the 205 is released.

Bill Mac likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Bob's the "Man"! I was aware that the HDMI jitter reduction circuitry is only available on HDMI (Audio Only) output as it only carries audio with no video.

9. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Hmm. I was going to use ARC through the Oppo and analog outs to my AVR (Krell HTS 7.1 w/no HDMI). But those would be compressed audio codecs anyway and I don't think it would matter. Ah well, 4k and HDR (well and Oppo's reputation) is enough for me to upgrade from my 105D.

EDIT: ARC would be for the TVs apps (Netflix and Amazon) and my Xbox One S.

Bill Mac likes this.
  10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Someone else started another post yesterday about this and it (along with my comments) got scrapped, so I will repeat my thoughts here ...

OPPO always releases some a$$ kicking machines and it looks like they are continuing their great progress with this new one, all I need now is a spare $1,299.

Has anyone ever wondered why OPPO makes their players to look like ONYKO's "INTEGRA" product line?

11. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Forum Resident

Interested in this one.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Wait until you hear it!! :D

Bill Mac likes this.
  13. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

All the better. I own the Integra CD changers. The Oppo should match up nicely.

14. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

No DLNA gapless, no sale. How many YEARS have customers been asking Oppo for this?

15. It's probably coming in the 305!

16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Bill, your post piqued my interest. I assume you never had any problem with the refurb'ed 105D and it was like new? What kind of discount did Oppo give you on that and how long was it available after 105D release? Thanks.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Greg,

I don't recall how long after the 105D was released that I ordered a refurbished one. It was packaged and looked as if it was never used as Oppo goes through returns or repaired units to make sure there are no obvious cosmetic defects. If I recall correctly the price was $1039 which was a savings of $260. I called Oppo yesterday and asked if there were any refurbished 205s available. The Oppo rep was a bit taken back and said "the 205 hasn't even shipped yet so there were no refurbished units". He thought maybe in 6-9 months but if anyone returns a 205 in the next couple months there will be refurbished units available. I just didn't want to wait but might give that some thought before the April 28th shipping date.

Doug_B, GregM and Hymie the Robot like this.
  18. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I believe my refurb 105D was the same price as Bill mentions above, and no problems since (though I had mine modded a few months later). I purchased mine in late 2015. Oppo even had a product page specific to the 105D refurb from which one could order it (separate for faceplate color as well), though the day I purchased it, the page showed out of stock - I took a chance and called them directly, and they did have one available.

Doug

19. With the 205, would I be able to use HDMI out for audio associated with DVD and Blu-rays, and analog out for CDs and SACDs? And is there a setting so that the Oppo would know to use the analog out for CDs SACDs, and HDMI for Blu-ray and DVD?

In other words I would have both HDMI and analog cables attached at the same time and am hoping that it's possible to have the signal routed automatically by the 205 as mentioned above.

20. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

They're shipping! Mine is going out the door today for delivery tomorrow :righton:

21. ti-triodes

Both the HDMI and analog outputs will be active simultaneously. There is no need to set anything. The only switching will be if you use HDMI 2. If nothing is plugged into it, only HDMI 1 will be active.

Shawn likes this.
  22. ti-triodes

Have you ever wondered if Onkyo makes their players to look like Oppo's?

:D

scobb likes this.
  23. Ditto. (Well, shipping to ModWright and arriving Saturday)

Definitely sooner than I anticipated.

Bill Mac and Cliff like this.
  24. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I think you guys are overlooking something with this HDMI talk. If the audio signal is leaving the oppo through a digital connector… that means something else does the decoding to Analog. Personally the main reason to buy an oppo is for its decoding. If it's stereo or two channel your after, sooner or later there will be a
    Digital to Analog Conversion. With Analog outs the oppo does that step. So that sorta screws Atmos too.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Not overlooking anything at all when it comes to all "this HDMI talk". I'm well aware that the DACs in the 205 will be bypassed when using HDMI and the D/A conversion will take place in my Emotiva XMC-1 which has an excellent analog output stage. I really don't care at all about Atmos or DTS-X at this point either. I'll be using both the HDMI and analog outputs of the 205 as I'm doing with my 105D.

"Sooner or later there will be a Digital to Analog Conversion" :eek::eek::eek: OMG!!! I never realized that ;). Almost like death and taxes ;).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Cliff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.