The Eric Clapton album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoF, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Yes, the 2 Powerhouse tracks are both on the Winwood box. I took the Blind Faith live Hyde Park tracks from watching the you tube of the concert. They are decent performances.

One of my other favourites is from Rolling Hotel. A drunken Eric singing 'Why Did You Leave Heaven.' Its only 2:20 long as fades in the movie. I think Jamie Oldaker sings a bit of harmony on the 2nd verse. Love that performance. First saw that on the intro to the 1987 ITV South Bank Show Clapton special. That deserves a place on the box.

2. Almost Simon

The Glyn Johns interview was initially from an early 80's BBC Radio documentary called Record Producers. There was 2 hour long specials on Johns' work. They're occasionally re-broadcast on BBC Radio 6 in their overnight documentary slot.

The same interviews were later used in the 6 part BBC Radio 1 'Behind the Mask' series from 1986. A few people have asked me for a copy, which I will do when I get time.

I'm reminded of George Harrison's comments about the Cream farewell tour from the Behind The Mask radio series. How George had gone to one of the shows and gone backstage and was confronted by Ginger Baker "growling" and crushing ice cubes between his teeth. George's response - "Christ, no wonder Eric wants to get out of this group!":D

MsMaclen likes this.
  3. Almost Simon

Out of interest which Rainbow tracks would you have included?

I seem to have a blind spot on that record. I didn't much like the reissue, preferred the 6 track vinyl release. Just wondered if there were specific tunes you'd select. Say, 2 or 3 maximum.

I'll go back and have a listen.

4. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

No special preferance. I like the entire album.

Almost Simon likes this.
  5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Its a shame they never followed up the expanded reissue with a Deluxe Edition.

6. Almost Simon

I can never see that happening. Its a man coming off drug addiction, in fact still under addiction and far from his best. Whilst some of the tracks are decent I don't believe its worthy of being celebrated as a deluxe edition.

I know that's not a popular view :hide:. I'd rather just include a few tracks from the album on my alternate Crossroads, I'm sure there's room to squeeze a few tracks on.

From memory my favourite track was Pearly Queen, I'm a big Traffic fan, but that's a Winwood vocal so unlikely to make the cut. I was just after a view of any special song from the concerts that people believe are worthy for reissue on an archive set.

7. Almost Simon

All this talk of archives, guess i'll need to post Journeyman later...................although Crossroads seems far more interesting to me at least.

I'll post later, all ready to go if everyone else is??

JulesRules, kollektionist and reb like this.
  8. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Never heard that before. Is that not the first time Clapton used what he came to call the "woman tone"? The Les Paul presumably, with the pickup selector in the middle position and one of the tone controls backed down about 2/3rds. (With Cream it was backed down a bit more, but you can hear it on this song.)

9. Hardy Melville

Yes, my recollection is Pearly Queen is the best cut on that.

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed, but I don't think Universal is going to expand it beyond the '95 reissue. The two shows are just too ragged to released in their entirety.

11. PacificOceanBlue

This question was not directed at me, but I agree that a couple of "outtakes" from the Rainbow shows could be viable inclusions. I think "Bottle of Red Wine" (later released on the '95 reissue) is a worthy candidate, and contains a very nice EC solo. Another option would be "Blues Power" (also subsequently released on the '95 reissue). That said, in general, there are many superior live tapes in the Clapton vault that are worthy of attention and release than the Rainbow performances.

Almost Simon and kollektionist like this.
  12. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Just played the expanded CD again. Great stuff ! The only track I find a bit disappointing is Let It Rain but that's just a minor quibble.

Almost Simon likes this.
  13. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Very thoughtful and sophisticated compilation. Well done, mate! You'll get awarded with the "Clever Clapton Crossroads Compilation Cross" - a secret medal for the diligent in-the-know. :)

Humm, has "I Shot The Sheriff" (full length version w/vocal) ever surfaced in collectorland (or elesewhre). Not that I know but I'd like to stand corrected. :)
    All I know of and have is a full length instrumental version....

Anyone around her with more info?

EC ahoy!
    Th:)mas
    ----------

Almost Simon likes this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Before we close out the archival section of the thread. I'd like to say thank you to Mr. Townshend for being proactive in saving our favorite 6 stringer from what might have been an early grave.

[​IMG]

Rainbow Concert- 1973

15. Almost Simon

No, the full length with vocals hasn't turned up, I have the same instrumental full length but should be pretty easy to release that with the vocals added. In effect the final mix but without the fade. That would be very welcome but wasn't part of the Give Me Strength 74/75 which I found disappointing.

Dondy and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

I would have liked more session outtake material as well. There have to be additional, interesting musical pieces on the sessions reels. They have piecemealed different tracks from the 461 sessions over the years, and put most of the previously released tracks together for the Give Me Strength set, but there is clearly more in the archives. Levenson unleashed a lot of jams and embryonic versions of songs on the Layla box set. The same approach would have been welcomed on the Give Me Strength set.

17. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

+1!

18. Almost Simon

Journeyman (1989)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Produced by Russ Titelman
    Released November 1989

"Pretending"
    (Jerry Lynn Williams) – 4:48
    "Anything for Your Love" (Williams) – 4:16
    "Bad Love" (Eric Clapton, Mick Jones) – 5:11
    "Running on Faith" (Williams) – 5:27
    "Hard Times" (Ray Charles) – 3:00
    "Hound Dog" (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller) – 2:26
    "No Alibis" (Williams) – 5:32
    "Run So Far" (George Harrison) – 4:06
    "Old Love" (Clapton, Robert Cray) – 6:25
    "Breaking Point" (Marty Grebb, Williams) – 5:37
    "Lead Me On" (Cecil Womack, Linda Womack) – 5:52
    "Before You Accuse Me" (Ellas McDaniel) – 3:55

Eric Clapton – guitar, lead vocals
    Nathan East – bass guitar (1, 2, 4-7, 9-12), backing vocals (1, 4, 7)
    Pino Palladino – bass guitar (3)
    Darryl Jones – bass guitar (8)
    Jimmy Bralower – drum programming (1, 7, 8)
    Jim Keltner – drums (2, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12), percussion (6), tambourine (9), drum programming (8, 10)
    Phil Collins – drums, backing & harmony vocals (3)
    Steve Ferrone – drums (4, 5, 11), hi-hat (10)
    Carole Steele – congas (1), tambourine (4), percussion (7, 10, 11)
    Gary Burton – vibraphone (9)
    Jerry Lynn Williams – guitar, backing & harmony vocals (1)
    Robert Cray – guitar (2, 6, 9, 12), guitar solo (9, 12)
    Phil Palmer – guitar (3)
    John Tropea – rhythm guitar (5)
    George Harrison – guitar & harmony vocals (8)
    Cecil Womack – acoustic guitar & vocals (11)
    Jeff Bova – synth horns (1), synth organ (1), synth programming (2, 10), drum programming (10), sequenced bass (10), sequenced organ (10)
    Alan Clark – synth horns (1), Hammond organ (1, 4), sequenced bass (1), keyboards (3), synthesizer (8), synth strings (9)
    Robbie Kondor – harmonica (2), keyboards (2), vocoder (2), drum programming (2), synthesizer (6, 12), synth programming (7, 8), synth piano (9)
    Rob Mounsey – synthesizer (8)
    Robby Kilgore – synthesizer (11)
    Greg Phillinganes – acoustic piano (1, 4, 5), keyboards (2, 10), backing vocals (4, 7), synthesizer (8)
    Richard Tee – acoustic piano (2, 6, 7, 9, 12), Fender Rhodes (11)
    David Sanborn – alto saxophone (10)
    Arif Mardin – horn arrangement (5), string arrangements (11)
    Hank Crawford – alto saxophone (5)
    Ronnie Cuber – baritone saxophone (5)
    David "Fathead" Newman – tenor saxophone (5)
    Jon Faddis – trumpet (5)
    Lew Soloff – trumpet (5)
    Chaka Khan – backing vocals (1, 7)
    Tessa Niles – backing vocals (3)
    Katie Kissoon – backing vocals (3)
    Lani Groves – backing vocals (4, 7)
    Daryl Hall – harmony vocals (7)
    Tawatha Agee – backing vocals (10)
    Vanessa Thomas – backing vocals (10)
    Linda Womack – vocals (11)
    Rev. Timothy Wright Washington Temple Concert Choir – choir (4)
    Roger Forrester & Friends – dog barking (6)

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I love this record and the recording quality is excellent !

Bossyman, Szeppelin75 and JulesRules like this.
  20. Almost Simon

57 minutes long so too long really for single vinyl but lets give this a spin! First play in a while.

Pretending - The first of five.......:eek:....(five????) Jerry Williams songs. I've heard this song sooooooo many times live in concert back in the early 90's. Its okay, plods along fine enough but I've never been a big fan of it.

Anything For Your Love - Another Williams song, this is better. Like this one a lot more. The programming is annoying in the background. Decent tune.

Bad Love - The first single from the album and the first of only 2 writing credits for Eric. Clearly written to get a hit single, co-written with Mick Jones from Foreigner. A better opening track for the album I'd suggest. I bought this on cd single (remember them?) at the time. Nice solo, song has similarities with Badge.

Running on Faith - Williams again, nice dobro. A choir too. Drums should be lower in the mix, a minor quibble just seems too prominent on this type of song.

Hard Times - My favourite track on the album, I remember getting this album upon release and being disappointed until I reached this track. Lovely guitar from Eric. A high point for me, makes my best of Clapton playlist, the only track from this album that does.

Hound Dog - Okay I guess, all done in thankfully less than 2:30. Dog noises at the end. The album would've been shorter and better without this.

No Alibis - Daryl Hall joins on this one. More Jerry Williams, not too bad. Its like the other Williams tunes, they're okay but they're not Clapton really.

Run So Far - This sounds different, and I like it. Not the strongest song ever but it doesn't matter, it sounds more like Clapton. Nice George Harrison song with that George guitar and harmony vocal. Never much liked this upon release but now it sounds very good. I now appreciate this now more than i did back in '89/90.

Old Love - the other Clapton song, written with Robert Cray. Another I've liked but never really loved. Better live in concert where he could stretch out more.

Breaking Point - bloody 80's programming again. the last Williams song. Its okay.

Lead Me On - Written by Womack & Womack who guest on vocals/guitar. Don't have much time for this one. You could lose 2 or 3 songs from this album, bring down to 40/45 mins and it would improve it.

Before You Accuse Me - previously tried out during the Backless sessions 11 years previously. Now gets re-recorded for Journeyman. Decent version.

This album disappointed me when released. I played it a lot but feel that the production annoys me more than it did on August. I know this is still the 80's so its to be expected.

For me August had better highs and lows, better choruses and better material. I find Journeyman a bit too bland.

21. Almost Simon

Guess I might be out on my own with my review then. Overall i don't like it aside from a few songs. Too many Jerry Williams songs.

Hard Times does sound superb to my ears though. I love that song, doesnt have the bloody 80s programming which annoys on several of the other tunes.

22. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Forum Resident

I bought this the day it came out, and is my favorite of Clapton's Armani-blues period.

It is still in rotation in my house, moreso than August.

I also saw e.c. live 3 times on this tour.

Szeppelin75 and JulesRules like this.
  23. Hardy Melville

Pretending is a guilty pleasure for me. I love the tone on the guitar.

24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

EC rehearsing for SNL 1990

Pretending- awesome guitar playing

Bossyman, MsMaclen and RPOZ51 like this.
  25. Almost Simon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.