Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fillmore Midwest

Fillmore Midwest Forum Resident

Longtime reader, new member. Sorry if someone has already noted this, but MOJO magazine is touting an interview with Paul in their forthcoming issue. Relevant quote re: 50th anniversary stereo mixes:

“The original stereo mix is a bit of a period piece,” McCartney concedes. “You’ve got the drums in one corner. You’ve got the vocals in another corner. We would be at listening parties, have some mates around and I’d go, ‘Listen to the drums on this, man!’ …and you couldn’t hear ’em. Oh! They’re over there in the other corner of the room.”

That’s been addressed in the reissue of Sgt. Pepper that’s due on the streets on May 26. A muscular new Giles Martin stereo mix returns the Beatles’ drums and vocals to central positions reminiscent of the original mono mix, and gets McCartney’s seal of approval.

“‘Muscular’ is a good word,” he agrees. “It sounds more like us playing in the room and more like we intended it.” More promised in the issue that comes out April 25 in the UK.

IronWaffle likes this.
  2. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The promotional materials are calling it a 2017 transfer. Presumably it lacks the "fixes" on the 2009 remaster.

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

You're preaching to the choir, brother -- or did you put me on "ignore" in the FITD thread and miss all my rants about the download "disc"? :agree: :laugh:

4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The only apparent variation is that the 2CD set has a hummed ending tacked onto "A Day in the Life." On the big box, the hummed ending is on a separate track. I'm guessing there is no period mix that included that ending, so the double CD would include a new edit to show what such a mix would have sounded like.

5. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

@Steve Hoffman I don't think you've joined in this thread yet. What's your opinion on the remix thing (I don't know if you have heard it) and, generally speaking, about the opportunity of doing this to Pepper?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Ringo, still the mocker.

Thelonious_Cube and tages like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I'll never put you on "ignore", despite the fact that you inhabit New Jersey ... ;)

Johnny Reb, jmrife and Sean Murdock like this.
  8. Sean Murdock

Jeff, you are wildly over-simplifying this. You know as we all do that we're getting a new stereo remix, two discs of outtakes (with more alternate mono mixes on CD 4), a 5.1 mix, the DVD/Bluray, the books, the packaging, etc. I'm not saying it's a "bargain" -- I'd love to see it under $100 -- but as soon as we started hearing whispers about this about six months ago, I started saving my Amazon points. I was prepared for an expensive set, and I'm willing to pay for what they're offering. In the current music business climate, this is how vault material gets released -- in expensive sets that make up for the revenue of all the regular CDs that millenials only stream (if they're listening at all).

The days of 2-4 CD box sets of outtakes and rarities are over. Even Dylan, who started 25 years ago with simple 2- or 3-CD sets, now gooses his Bootleg Series releases with books and ephemera to jack up the price. It's how they make money, and the only way we're going to get the stuff we want. You either find a way to justify the cost for yourself, or you don't. The very affordable 2-CD set is there if you want the remix and a "best of" the outtakes. I really don't see how Apple is the bad guy this time... fans have been begging for something like this for years, and now that we're getting it, people are complaining that it's expensive!

9. Sean Murdock

Typical New Yorker... :thumbsdow ;)

10. Well said. Save up if you need to for the big box. The price realistic and is fair.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

A good mono or stereo setup is not as immersive as a good surround set-up. Period.

What's unnatural is a stereo set-up and stereo mix with, say, drums coming out of one cone speaker with no ambiance or the tom drums panning across the entire stereo spectrum. That doesn't mean such a mix can't be effective. But it is not natural and it is not as immersive as a good surround mix.

12. Sean Murdock

Several of the 2-CD Disc 2 tracks will also have studio chatter trimmed compared to the Super Deluxe Discs 3 and 4. I'll probably get the 2-CD set just to have their custom "Alternate Pepper" disc and not have to assemble it myself... The SMiLE box also had a unique Disc 2 in their 2-CD version.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. Sean Murdock

Steve was just VERY down on the idea of an All Things Must Pass remix in another thread today, and when someone asked a different person if THEY were also against the Pepper remix, Steve responded "Duh!" So ... I don't think he's a fan of the idea.

andrewskyDE, backseat, SteveM and 2 others like this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I wasn't keen on the stripped All Things Must Pass remix myself. I'm sure Sgt Pepper mono LP will always be my definitive get to go copy.

SteveM likes this.
  15. Quadrophenia1

Quadrophenia1 Forum Resident

Anyone know how many "folddown" tracks Giles Martin had at his disposal to create these new remixes? Everyone knows Sgt. Pepper was created using four-track recorders. But, there were multiple four-track folddowns on top of more folddowns. One song might have been comprised of 16 or 20 tracks that were eventually folded down to a final four-track tape. Did George Martin save and preserve EVERY scrap of tape used? If he did....... then Giles must of had a hell of a time synchronizing all of those many scraps of folddown tapes to create this new mix. Anybody know??

maandrade and RAM Master Brazil like this.
  16. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

.... I know brick and mortar stores are disappearing from the scene, but there's some still around. And this set will be on sale, probably just north of $110 or so. Just noticed, that an actual B & M Amazon Bookstore has opened about 10 minutes from my house. With some bonus points and sale price, I'll be happy. Like many others, I got the cancellation notice from Amazon.Ca. Too good to be true. Ron

Wingsfan2012 and Lewisboogie like this.
  17. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Who are you kidding? You'll STILL assemble your own CDRs.... just like myself, Glenn, Arnie and a few others will do. And we'll slot in Only A Northern Song where it belongs, then go through the Anthology outtakes and include whatever is missing. Oh yea, then go through Rock Band to find extra chat. We'll all be quite proud of ourselves!!! :agree:Ron

18. There's an Amazon brick and mortar book store near me in Seattle. Nice store. No records or music at this one.

19. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I'm going for the boxed set and the double vinyl. Great ways of getting all variations and combining it with different listening experiences.

leeroy jenkins likes this.
  20. Sean Murdock

You speak the truth, sir.

21. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Yeah, so was my post but it was too hard, sorry about that.
    The beave

Lewisboogie likes this.
  22. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I'm going to try to stay on your good side, that's for sure!!

The Beave and Lewisboogie like this.
  23. Nerktwin

Nerktwin Forum Resident

Ugh, an Amazon b & m is a nightmare.

24. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Can confirm. Was told "Duh!". Feelings were hurt.

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Makes sense, given all he has said about remixes, especially when he weighed in on the 1+ remixes (at least "Penny Lane"). But yeah, Steve is very, VERY "original mix or nothing." I take Steve's opinion on any remix with a grain of salt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.