Problem with B & W 801 series II Speaker

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 575maranello, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident Thread Starter

I picked these up a few months ago and just got around to hooking them up. All is good with the exception of one of the woofers not working. Any ideas or suggestions?
    I did pop the speaker out and made sure the connections were ok.........stumped.

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Did you check for continuity from the crosssover to the speaker driver? Did you check continuity of the speaker itself while you had it out?

3. 575maranello

How do I do that? Im not super hands on when it comes to this kind of stuff.

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

It sounds as if you don't have an ohm meter which is what you use to check continuity.

5. 575maranello

Correct I dont have one.
    Im sure I can pick one up.

6. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

You might give B&W a call and check to see if there are fuses on the crossovers. If a fuse is blown it may indicate a speaker issue or that the previous owner pushed them to hard with an amp that started to clip. I do not remember if those speakers had internal fused crossovers. Maybe another owner could say exactly.

7. 575maranello

ok Ill ring them in the am.....thanks

8. timind

timind phorum rezident

A google search showed me this crossover pic, I don't see any fuses but they could be in line instead of mounted on the board. If you pulled the driver out, it should be easy enough to remove the crossover, Probably easier than the driver.
    [​IMG]

9. I have 801 Series 3 and mine have an access door to the crossover located on the bottom side of the cabinet. Also taking the bass driver out is fairly easy and will make visual inspection a breeze. I had an issue with the cable connection lugs. They had become loose and caused the tweeter and mid drivers to stop working. I unscrewed the plastic lug holder and re-secured the wires.

Good Luck

timind likes this.
  10. 575maranello

timind Where exactly is the crossover located?

11. 575maranello

ok I now have both woofers working. I had the speaker wire on the wrong terminals on the back of the speakers. Only problem now is that they are base heavy.....tweeters almost non existent?
    Do the tweeters need to be hooked up with the other two terminals?

Mad shadows likes this.
  12. beppe

beppe Forum Resident

Woofer, midrange and tweeter must be connected to the amplifier. If you have two binding posts on the back side of any loudspeaker you have to connect all the red and, separately, connect all the black. Then you can connect wires (+ and -) respectively to the red and black cable.

13. SHU

SHU Forum Resident

Hi Charles, it sounds like you're missing the jumpers. connect both black terminals and connect both red terminals using some speaker wire. That should fix it

edit: Beppe beat me to it

Dave likes this.
  14. 575maranello

Ok Ill give it a try.....Thanks guys!

15. 575maranello

Hey that worked
    I'm good to go now
    Thanks guys for all of your help
    Really appreciate it

timind, Mad shadows and Ham Sandwich like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.