Do you remember the moment you became a fan of your now favorite group?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA-Chuck G, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member Thread Starter

I had heard of the Hollies, sure, but really didn't give them much thought. Then by chance I was watching a Twiggy music tv show in 1976, of all things, and up came the Hollies. That one moment made me fan and without seeing this clip, they would have been just another British group.

Johnny Rocker, éder and Paulwalrus like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

3. AKA-Chuck G

Even Beatles fans can post. You know, what song or performance made you a crazed fan til this day! :waiting:

4. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Ryan Adams is my fave...

Can't remember when I came to that realization. But probably the first time I heard "Cold Roses" all the way through

iainoco likes this.
  5. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

Aw thanks :D

I was taking German classes at the Göethe Institut, and it was about an hour ride on the bus. So I looked around the hourse for something to listen to on the way, found the blue album recorded by a friend of my parents on a cassette. So that was the one.

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  6. AKA-Chuck G

Yes, the Red and Blue compilations are still top! I also played the Blue one a lot.

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

My interest of Pink Floyd's work started around Live8 and I bought a used vinyl copy of Wish You Were Here (without knowing which songs were on it) in our local library.
    A bit later I got the Echoes compilation and actually then the real 'fan phase' started all over me.

Can't remember exactly how I came to the Beatles. I mean, their music was still all over the place, especially on the radio. And I probably got to know 'She Loves You' and 'Yesterday' already when I was a toddler.
    The Blue Album and a russian compilation (A Taste Of Honey) were among the first records I got.

Generally my interest on any other band I admire nowadays started with compilation CDs (or cassettes or vinyl records) which were originally owned by one of my older brothers.
    My collection grew over the years while my brother doesn't have records anymore.^^

granata, AKA-Chuck G and deany76 like this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I played Live/Dead (Grateful Dead) for the first time. As the ending strains of "Mountains of the Moon" bleed into the "Dark Star" - well, that was it.

9. When I heard the first notes of Shoot Out The Lights.

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Hendrix - I think it was seeing the video for Are You Experienced on tv in the mid/late 80s, thank you Alan Douglas. That started an obsession where I set out to collect every single known Hendrix recording; it was incredibly exciting in the beginning.

highway chile and Fullbug like this.
  11. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'll answer your question in "sort of" fashion. My current R&R favorite group (and has been for the past ten years) is King Crimson. I dived in and out of their sphere for 20 years before taking it hook, line and sinker, so I can't pin that down. But Dylan is in my top 3 or 4 and I can absolutely pin that down. One day, as I was running errands in Baltimore, in a Ph.D. program I didn't really want to be in, at a school I didn't really want to be in and a city that was rebounding but I didn't really want to be in, I tuned the radio to Dylan's A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall.

It hit me like 1,000,000 tons of bricks. I'd had friends trying to turn me on to Dylan since '79, but it never took. One warm summer afternoon in Baltimore; late September 1985, the light turned on. And it's been on ever since. I made a U-turn and went to Towsontown Mall and picked up Freewheelin', Another Side, Bringing it, and Highway 61. All in one day. It got my butt out of grad school and into playing music and having a real job during the day.

12. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

For the Rolling Stones and Beatles, both were after catching late night radio broadcasts of Exile on Main Street and White Album.
    I knew the hits of each band but after hearing all those great "album" tracks, I was all in!

RogerB, andrewskyDE and Fullbug like this.
  13. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

A little over 28 years ago, I turned over the channel late one night...

DTK and Fullbug like this.
  14. Emospence

Emospence Forum Resident

Pink Floyd, the wailing guitar solos on Time and Money

15. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I think it may have been when I got into vinyl because at first I only got Beatles albums. After I got my 5 favourite Beatles albums I started to branch out but I think it was the idea of wanting something a little bit more than just a digital download that convinced me to pick up Abbey Road as well as Rubber Soul in Mono because I really wanted to hear what those mono remasters sounded like. If you're wondering why I didn't get Sgt. Pepper it's because they only had Sgt. Pepper in Stereo and they didn't have the White Album at the time either.

16. éder

éder Forum Resident

The Smiths when i was 13 years old... until then i was really into the rolling stones - i still am - but the smiths leap frogged them into the number one spot on my list.. where they remain to this day.
    I can remember the moment - i borrowed the album 'hatful of hollow' from a friends older brother who was raving about the smiths.. i remember dropping the needle onto the vinyl not expecting much . . 'william it was really nothing' came blasting out of the speakers - i was transfixed - i had never heard a guitar played that way before, i had never heard such great and memorable words. Then 'what difference does it make ?' followed and it was like - wow !! It was a real life changing moment and it seemed to open up a new world for me instantly.. it was great song after great song. I listened to that album all night every night for weeks. But i will never forget the moment i first dropped the needle on that record...

granata, AKA-Chuck G and Willowman like this.
  17. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

I first saw The Beatles on TV in Jan 63 singing Please Please Me and I can remember thinking "Mmmm..well they're different....." but I didn't connect then. The same thing happened with From Me To You. Then came She Loves You which I thought was a really great single when it came out in August 63 but I just wasn't into buying singles back then as I taped things I wanted off the radio. However after a bit of persuasion whilst in a record shop, my mum bought me a copy of With The Beatles LP for an early Xmas present at the beginning of December '63. A few days after Xmas, I bought I Want To Hold Your Hand and The Beatles No.1 EP with Xmas money. I knew then I was a fan and 54 years later.....

éder, AKA-Chuck G and JerolW like this.
  18. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

The Ed Sullivan Show cemented what I had heard on the radio.

jerol

BTW - It's The Beatles I'm talking about.

19. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

A friend of mine was giving me a lift in his car and I knew he had strange tastes in music, he was playing a compilation tape that he had put together and a track came on that was so weird that I remember saying to him "What`s this racket?"
    I turned out that the `racket` was a Captain Beefheart track!
    I few days later I found a Beefheart album in a record store and thought "Ah, so this is what was playing", I bought it.
    Later I actually joined the Captain Beefheart fan club as a fanatical fan!

DTK, Zoot Marimba and Amnion like this.
  20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I don't think that Beatles fans need any encouragement to post on a thread :D

DTK, éder, AKA-Chuck G and 3 others like this.
  21. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Wait, there are Beatles fans in this forum? Where have they been hiding all these years?

éder, AKA-Chuck G and bob60 like this.
  22. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Little Feat - Fat man in the bathtub. That was my rhythm, my sound, my blues. Lowell became my hero, istantly. After a fistful of months he was dead. Damn.

AKA-Chuck G and malco49 like this.
  23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Hearing Like A Rolling Stone played on the Mike Read Radio 1 Breakfast Show one morning in November 1982. I was 'aware' of the song and very aware of Dylan but I'd never 'heard it properly' before: maybe I was just 'ready' for it (I was fifteen). I can remember thinking that it blew everything I'd been listening to up to that point (Beatles and Bowie) out of the water, both lyrically and musically (an opinion I've since revised, but that's how it felt at the time). In that moment, I became a Dylan fan. I bought the (mono) single that weekend.

24. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

Saw 'The Division Bell' tour in July 1994 at the Pontiac Silverdome in Detroit. It was the first time (pun intended) the band played DSOTM in its entirety since Knebworth 1975 (with Waters). I have never before or since seen something spectacular or had been so moved and I was sober for the event...14 years old with my mother, sister and her boyfriend.

Seeing 'The Song Remains the Same' when I was 11 began my introduction into pre-1980s rock n' roll. Mother always had classic rock playing around the house, but Zepp was the spark that lit the flame. From there my interest in musical history just snowballed.

Hearing Zappa for the first time, at one of several Tattoo session in the early 2000's. Neither of my parents where fans, so I hadn't had too much exposure.

Good times

Tropehjelm, tedhead and Standoffish like this.
  25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Not sure becoming a fan can be boiled down to a single moment but I remember a hot teenage summer, the smell of the lavender coming through my open bedroom window. I was 16 and had just got home with a copy of The Velvet Underground & Nico. Backwards gatefold, blue and gold MGM label, non-peelable banana. My £50 record player that had been a gift from my parents but I cannot remember whether I had already painted the white plastic black. I put the LP on.

I can remember the initial confusion as Sunday Morning came on. What was this pretty song doing here? And then it faded away to be suddenly, jarringly, replaced by the thrilling sound of the New York street with Waiting For The Man. The sound of 1960's New York right there in the middle of the quaint English 1970s country side. I was transported.

I think that moment lasted the whole of the summer. It was the first time I realised that music could transport you through time and space.

DTK and AKA-Chuck G like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.