How do I know that it's playing the SACD layer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by afterm.ath, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afterm.ath

afterm.ath my life! Thread Starter

I have a Samsung BD-D5100 that is said to play SACD, but I want to know if it's really playing the SACD. I don't hear much difference. I even turned on my TV to see what media it was playing, but it just said "CD". I don't know what is going on here. What must I do?

2. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Read your manual, it will explain how to insure you play the SACD layer as the first priority over the CD layer. You might also find thise options on uour remote control.

Galley and audiomixer like this.
  3. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Cannot find any SACD playing info on this model. Only lists 2 channel stereo output.

4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I looked up this model and see no reference to SACD in regard to it. I don't think I've ever seen a Samsung BDP that supported SACD. Look for Sony, Yamaha, or Oppo - those three brands make players that support SACD.

5. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I double checked, what you have is an $89 player that does not play SACD's. I don't know if you are searching for a multi-purpose player that plays DVD, SACD, Blu-ray, etc. Not sure what you want, but Sony is really out of the SACD business now. You could probably find a Sony player that will play an SACD, but so many of the inexpensive players are converting the native DSD to PCM, a much downgraded process, just a means for the player to play the SACD. You want a player that plays native DSD with NO conversion to PCM and you need to research this, as the manufacturers that sell these cheap players don't disclose this. The OPPO players are quality players, but they are not cheap.

6. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Ha! Insert a single layer SACD and see what happens.

Otherwise, trust your ears. You should be able to hear some amazing stuff happening there, just above the 20 khz. If you completely immerse and focus, you may even pick up some ultrasonic noise happening above the 30 khz. Thats how you will know you are playing an SackDee.

7. afterm.ath

Never mind, picked up a Sony DAV-DZ310. It plays SACDs in 5.1, and I played TSMR on it, and it sounded amazing. I even, as you said, focused and heard stuff above 22 khz.

Robert C and kBear like this.
  8. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Wow, you must have incredible hearing.

9. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

You must have tinnitus. Most human beings cannot hear frequencies above 20kHz, and that decreases significantly with age.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

DrZ's post was clearly sarcastic. If you want to decide on the benefits of SACD for yourself, compare the SACD and CD layer on something like Steve's Laura Nyro disc from Audio Fidelity and see which sounds better to you.

John K.

DrZhivago likes this.
  11. afterm.ath

Tried TDSOTM a while ago. Sounded excellent.

12. Litejazz53

Is it possible you wrote the number down wrong? I checked on the model number you gave and it's a package DVD system with little plastic speakers with one full range 2.56" speaker in each speaker and a detachable 7" sub, this would probably give you a frequency response of about 150Hz to 8,000 Hz, possibly 10,000Hz, but nothing near 22, and as I mentioned in my previous post, this system would probably just change the DSD to PCM, while I did not look this up, as you might have given the wrong Sony model number, it is very unlikely that particular Sony modular DVD product would give you true SACD (DSD) native sound. If you find you gave the wrong model number I can check it for you. Whatever you now have, it must be doing a good job for you, happy listening. :righton:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  13. htom

htom Senior Member

The manual for the Sony DAV-DZ310 system indicates it does play SACDs.

14. Litejazz53

Yes, if that is the model DVD player he has, it will play SACDs, however probably not in their native DSD form, which is what I told him in a previous post. That particular model would probably just convert to PCM instead of DSD.

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Translation please.

16. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Amazing for a system that does not even have a tweeter!

Robert C and Litejazz53 like this.
  17. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

:D Cryin'

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

devil's advocate here:

if you can't tell whether the SACD layer is playing, shouldn't that sort of be a sign that SACD is not that big of a difference from regular CD?

and then, why are you paying SACD prices for something?

basie-fan and Robert C like this.
  19. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Tell your client that there are two major benefits of SACD, you and (or) him are missing here :D

- the ability to play multi-channel mixes
    - SACD being relegated to a niche audiophile market usually means greater care taken when it comes to mastering and packaging.

:frog:

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

which begs the question:

if you do not have multi-channel capability (stereo only system) does SACD make a difference in sound?

21. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I'm sure that topic has been discussed in more than a few threads on this forum.

Kind Regards

Kristofa and Adam6437 like this.
  22. afterm.ath

Nothing wrong. It's really a DAV-DZ310. Does a decent job. Though I doubt it converts it to PCM, though.

23. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Yes, it does.

John K.

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

For me it does. As I type I'm listening to Steve Davis' Quality of Silence SACD and it sounds amazing. Maybe it's more about the recording process and mastering but would the RBCD of this title sound the same? As Dr. Z pointed out with many SACD releases there is greater care done in regard to the mastering process.

25. Litejazz53

It employees the 2.56" Sony turbo extended range kevlin cone, which was originally patented by Bose and vastly improved by Sony.

bruce2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.