Replacement for Denon DL-110

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jasonb, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can probably search through wades of recommendations here, but I'll be looking to replace my Denon DL-110 in the near future. Not sure whether to get another or "upgrade". Looking for a MM or HOMC somewhere in the $300 range. I know the AT150MLX or newer SA seem to get good reviews and is the micro line on the former better than the Shibata? Not even sure if the MLX is still available. Maybe the Denon is as good as I'll get in this price range. Thanks for any input.
    Using a Pro-ject Xpression through a Yamaha receiver. Not set up for LOMC at the moment.

2. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Does it matter that you can get a brand new DL-110 not for 300, but for less than 200USD?

Daniel Thomas and Shak Cohen like this.
  3. Jasonb

Yes my last one was that but just looking at possible better options if there are any.

4. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

I'd be interested to see what the forum members suggest as well. I love the Denon but would like to see what other options are out there at that price range.

LitHum05 and Jasonb like this.
  5. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I had a DL-110 on my Technics SL1210-M5G, and though I always enjoyed it- I was getting tired of it and wanted a change.
    I picked up a used Ortofon LH4000 adjustable headshell and a Hana EH cartidge.

When I first mounted it all- I couldn't believe the lean to the center the cartridge had. The previous owner had used a Fozgometer to align it.
    But OH MY the sound!!! Everything just seemed sweeter and more fluid than what it did using the Denon. I did have to crank the volume a wee bit more than I did with the Denon- but I am very happy with the Hana EH. Oh- the other bonus...it appears less succeptable(SP) to various groove noises. I just did not hear as much ticks and pops.

Chris

Jasonb likes this.
  6. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Any good priced re-tipping services still around for the 110?
    Picked up mine before the prices doubled, but I think it's towards the end of it's lifespan

8. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I would say the 110 really does a nice job with creating an expansive soundstage as well as is the case with most MCs pulling out the texture of stringed instruments. What I did not like about it was that it did show off some inner groove wear on my lesser copies of rock records that I bought used. I’ve have the 150MLX, 440MLa and am using an AT95VL right now. None of these will match the separation and soundstage of the 110. So, it depends on what you value most.

The AT95VL is also a good match for my arm, and I prefer the frequency response in some ways. It is not in the league of the 110 though. It is better for everyday rock records in most ways.

Jasonb likes this.
  9. Jasonb

Well I've jumped on an AT 440MLB while they are still cheap just to compare. The Denon still has life left in it for a while.

DrZhivago and c-eling like this.
  10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Better stylus shape. You won't regret it, but you'll probably miss the Denon, too.

c-eling and Jasonb like this.
  11. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

I'm leaning towards the Nagaoka MP200. How does it compare to the Denon? Is it an upgrade or more of a sideways move?

12. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Slightly more expensive, at least here in the UK, but how about the Hana EH. It's an excellent cart and a significant improvement over the DL110, which is a cart I really liked and used for many years before upgrading to the Hana.

13. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

The Denon DL 103 seems more affordable now. Would this be a step up or a sideways move from the DL110?

14. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Step up, apart from the fact that the OP is not set up for LOMC.

murphythecat and Jasonb like this.
  15. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

To avoid any confusion....the "Slightly more expensive" comment in the above refers to the price difference between the Nagaoka MP200 and the Hana EH. The Denon DL110 is less than half the price of the Hana EH.

loudinny likes this.
  16. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

Apologies to the OP for veering off topic. Thank you though for answering my question. For an MM Denon alternative, the Nagaoka MP200 really looks interesting.

Jelloalien likes this.
  17. Jasonb

Well I could always get a new phono amp. That's a whole new question to ask.

18. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

I've been using Denon carts almost exclusively since the early 80's every time I've wandered.... it was back to Denon. The experiments never lasted long. Currently using a DL301 mk2 on a VPI Scout with a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II. Just prior to a recent price increase I bought 3 just to have on hand.

I remember I was bummed when Denon did away with the 160 ( I had 3 backups and killed the last one several years back). But with a extremely flexible phono amp I had options so the Denon 301 mk2 was a logical choice and pretty much turned out to be a no brainer.

The cart is killer!

Over the years I've tried (loans mostly from friends) Audio Technica OC9 ii, AT33 (EV & PTG), Ortofons, Benz and Dynavectors. I'm sticking with Denon. Crazy good for the $$$

Just buy another 110.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  19. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Yeah. If he liked veil and poor instrument separation, surely will miss it.

:D

Cheers

20. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

With some setups, you can't even tell much about a cartridge at all. No wonder there are so many conflicting perceptions.

Cheers.

DrZhivago likes this.
  21. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I'm interested in opinions on DL 103 Vs Benz Micro Gold.
    i have a Benz Micro Gold,my second actually,but i have to replace it soon and the DL 103 has good reviews,
    Any opinions here?:)

22. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

So true.

I still think OP can do much better than DL-110 in his setup.

Kind Regards

23. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Snide remark! Don't ya' think! With all due respect if you're getting poor separation and the Denon cart sounds has a veiled tonality, you better look at your setup. I've never heard a Denon cart sound that way in over 35 years of listening.

Is the Denon 110 the be all end all, of course not, but I can buy these all day long for $175-$195. At the price there are not that many carts that can touch it, in fact it competes very nicely with carts up to the $300 range.

Cheers!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Jasonb and Jelloalien like this.
  24. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Yeah. I don’t run it in any of my setups. My impressions are based on listening at my cousin’s place, for over one year. He’s got a decent setup (Rega P3, CA amp) and holds DL-110 in high regard. It’s probably due to the fact that this cart (admittedly so) does well in eliminating S/N. To him, and probably to a lot of people this cart sounds smooth. To me it sounds too relaxed and veiled.

I’d personally look for Grado or Goldring carts instead.

Regards

Jasonb likes this.
  25. Jasonb

Well I installed the AT440MLB and I'm very impressed. Threw on MoFi Crime of the Century as I like listening to "School" as it builds. Very clear vocals and when the bass and drums kick in there's more to it than the Denon. With small Sonus Faber monitors, the bass is sometimes lacking, but not now. I may have got lucky with the initial alignment but it sounds very good. No need for any slight eq adjustments, the receiver is flat going through the direct setting.
    I should add it was $129 at Frys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.