Is hardship and struggle needed to create great music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by acemachine26, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've often wondered about this, are the greatest pieces of music created as a response to the dark times that the artist has gone through? Is that the required catalyst needed for an artist to create their masterpiece?

Some of the greatest jazz records were created by black artists in the 50's, an era where racism was at its height. Marvin Gaye's masterpiece What's Going On was a direct response to police brutality, the war in Vietnam, the state of Detroit and his own drug addiction. Tons of other great albums were also created out of an anti-war sentiment brewing through the world. Krautrock was created in Germany after the second world war where the youth felt like they needed music of their own since their culture had been destroyed by years of war and turmoil.

On top of that, many artists have created their best work when faced with personal tragedy like the loss of a loved one.

éder and Brian Lux like this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Of course not, though as you give excellent examples of, hardship has inspired a lot of great music.

3. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

In a lot of cases yes but Paul McCartney is one of our greatest songwriters and that guy seemed perpetually content and happy.

DorothyV, eddiel, davesmoked and 2 others like this.
  4. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Needed? No. Often the case? Absolutely! And not just in music but writing and art as well.

dougb222, Tuco, ralphb and 6 others like this.
  5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Not at all.

acemachine26 likes this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think it's more about experiences, good or bad, as most great songwriters draw inspiration from their own lifes. The mental processing of big life events and struggles can trigger great songs. So, partly, yes.

acemachine26 likes this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well, for example, Jimi wouldn't have written Stone Free if he had been accepted for who he was in Harlem...or Hear My Train if his upbringing in Seattle had been happy and fulfilling...or Crosstown Traffic if he hadn't been angry with "electric ladies" :).

acemachine26 likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Could give the hunger, propelling greatness with fire and skill.

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Oh yes, hardship can be an inspiration but it isn't needed in order to create great music.

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Do you guys write music?

11. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

An age old question in regards to all art... personally I am not interested in any art that doesn't find itself driven by friction, conflict, tension, tragedy etc.

12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I've heard this said before. I think it can be a factor, but I think there are others. And not everyone who experiences hardship makes interesting music. For those who do not experience hardship and yet still make interesting music there have to be other factors. Maybe there are too many to generalise. But I wonder about a more general sense of dissatisfaction, for example? Sometimes hardship comes in forms which are not obviously apparent.

Frisson. I think that helps.

Brian Lux and acemachine26 like this.
  13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Why are you asking?

Brian Lux and starduster like this.
  14. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

One needs concentration in order to create, and often, when the circumstances are very hard, the artist detach himself from the outside world and the everyday life, and can spend more time by himself, reflecting and concentrating. This state of mind can help gems to be created.

Brian Lux, JoeF., DTK and 1 other person like this.
  15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Because every artist is different. Some do need hardships. To some its needed. And if you arent a writer of song who has experienced better writing through hardships, then you dont really know.

zen, Wombat Reynolds and Steve G like this.
  16. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

That's just a myth.

Hardship and struggle may lead to the need to express oneself, but that doesn't necessarily lead to great results.

17. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I think it's more about what the listener connects with. Hardships don't have to be there to make great music ;however, most people can relate to having struggles in there lives. Having music that can connect with these emotions can be a helpful thing just like having music that is positive.

18. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

The key to creativity is limitation.... i.e. Having to record the greatest album ever in Four Track / or shooting sci-fi epics with models-on-strings....

Having no limitation to what you want to create seems to have reduced the craft in the process....We can now get any special effect we want to see on screen effortlessly, and we can now even correct the pitch of singing with unlimited tracks on record...

Having barriers in the way of creating and crafting the art that you want to put out seems to enhance the final product....

19. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

can't think of many all-time jazz greats who didn't experience some sort of turmoil during their lives.

this is just an observation btw

Brian Lux likes this.
  20. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

No

21. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

can't think of many all-time jazz greats who didn't experience some sort of turmoil during their lives.

this is just an observation btw

22. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I am fully convinced and I am seriously of the opinion that there HAS to be a muse in order to create "art", whatever type of art that may be for each artist, be it music, poetry, art....no muse, whether known to the artist or not, no art IMO.

For example, the poet Schiller used to keep rotten apples under the lid of his desk and inhale their pungent bouquet when he needed to find the right word.

O Muse! You Do Make Things Difficult!

William Smart likes this.
  23. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I am fully convinced and I am seriously of the opinion that there HAS to be a muse in order to create "art", whatever type of art that may be for each artist, be it music, poetry, art....no muse, whether known to the artist or not, no art IMO.

For example, the poet Schiller used to keep rotten apples under the lid of his desk and inhale their pungent bouquet when he needed to find the right word.

24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

25. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.