Any new Clearaudio turntable owners? Ovation, performance & Concept specifically ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by honestabe316, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel Thread Starter

I recently purchased a performance dc and just curious as to how others feel about thier tables...

cadeallaw likes this.
  2. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Concept Wood here, with Satisfy tonearm and Concept MC cartridge. Every time I think I should upgrade from this relatively low-end 'table I marvel at what amazing sound the setup produces. It also has been quite reliable and seems solidly built. I've only had to replace the belt once when speed started to noticeably vary. The new belt solved the issue.

Madlove and Rolltide like this.
  3. honestabe316

I recently bought the performance DC with the clarify arm and an Ortofon 2M black cartridge. I upgraded from a Technics sl-1600 with a Stanton 681eee cartridge. The difference was far better than I thought it would be. Looking at the lineup of Clearaudio tables that are offered, I would like to set a goal of getting the ovation in 2 or 3 years. I think I can enjoy the DC till then.....

snorker likes this.
  4. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I've thought a lot about upgrading to the Ovation or maybe even the Innovation Basic or Compact. I like Clearaudio a lot...great quality and sound.

Neither here nor there, but I've also been tempted recently by some beautiful vintage restored 'tables my local dealer has...Garrard 301's and Thorens TD124's.

5. honestabe316

The magnetic platter bearing and magnetic tone arm were the big selling point for me. Such a quiet table....

snorker likes this.
  6. honestabe316

And the German engineering

7. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I just picked up a Concept Wood with Satisfy arm an MM cartridge. I haven't spent enough time with it yet to honestly comment on it's sound but build quality is impressive coming from my trusty 5 year old Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.

I'm still interested to see what Rega puts in the P6 and what the Technics SL-1200GR hits the street at. If neither of those catch my interest I'll start saving for a better cart for the Concept.

8. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

Ive owned a Concept MM for a few months now and love it. I know that I can (and will) upgrade the cart at somepoint in time but even in this trim, it sounds great to me and I couldn't be happier. In time I'm sure i'll try moving up the ladder and getting a higher end table and if I do, I think I could see myself sticking with Clearaudio.

9. paddycook

paddycook Senior Member

I'm a concept owner trying to decide whether to move up to a Performance or an Ovation. Will keep the Concept and put a mono cart on it.

honestabe316 likes this.
  10. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Big fan... Almost went with a VPI Classic 1 from the internetz, but got to demo this for a few weeks and decided to pull the trigger. I got the Satisfy carbon fiber tonearm. I also upgraded the cartridge to the AT Art-9.

Morbius, HiFi Guy, cut-out and 3 others like this.
  11. Jerry Garcia Jr

Jerry Garcia Jr Forum Resident

I bought a Clearaudio Performance DC a couple of weeks ago. I had some problems initially - the 'table was incredibly sensitive to footfalls. If I moved just a little bit, it would skip. But it turned out I hadn't set it up 100 % correct. Now I have no such issues. My table is not completely silent, I can here the motor working when I am close to it. But it is not an issue. Overall I am very happy with this turntable. Sounds mighty fine!

[​IMG]

Morbius, trd, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  12. honestabe316

What was the set up problem causing footfall issues?

13. Jerry Garcia Jr

Jerry Garcia Jr Forum Resident

To be honest I am not sure. I made several changes to the initial setup. I put some rubber stuff under the cabinet the turntable sits on, and also under the table itself, and then I tweaked the VTA, tracking force and anti-skating. I'm not sure which one of these things made the difference, or if it was a combination. But it all works perfectly now - I have no issues at all, and I will keep this turntable for many years.

Is your Performance DC completely silent?

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have the Ovation and love it. I did swap out the tonearm because it doesn't track difficult passages as well as I'd like. As we all know, tracking ability is just one aspect of tonearm performance, but that Clarity arm with magnetic suspension is a little unorthodox. I would look at it carefully before buying.

15. paddycook

paddycook Senior Member

What did you swap it for?

16. honestabe316

I think I have a loose floor board that runs under my entertainment center as I had the same problem with my Technics sl-1600.....fortunately my system is in a room where I'm usually only one in there....when I do walk around that one are it affects the music....I don't have much choice in moving the center so I am probably going to build a wall shelf in time.....or a ceiling suspended shelf. I will use rods and not cables to avoid swaying.....other than when that board gets stepped on this is so quiet....I listen about 5-6 feet from the deck and can hear no motor noise......nothing....it's great

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Clearaudio's Universal tonearm. Aesthetically, it isn't a great match for the Ovation, and you can't use the VTA lifter (which allows adjustment of tracking angle "on the fly"), but performance in the tracking test record I use is very good.

paddycook and snorker like this.
  18. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I bet. That arm looks like it would be great. It's their top-of-the-line radial arm.

19. honestabe316

I am currently considering making a suspended base. I will do this by using 4 threaded rods which will got into a sturdy crossbeam that i will lay a cross my attics floor joists thus eliminating the need to drill or screw into the joists themselves.
    I will use the smallest diameter threaded rod I can find that will meet the weight specs. I would like to use thick Plexiglass as the base but if I can't find a reasonably priced piece, I'll use MDF.

I am sick of having to not get up while listening to a record for fear it causes my records to skip. I can't replace floorboards. I can't go into that big of a job to "Attempt" to quiet them down. I would like to get a few responses from anyone who has initiated and competed a similar endeavor. I have also been thinking that if i am going to do this, why not just buy longer rods and put a couple more shelves In for my Amp, CD player, and bluesound Node 2....
    Does this sound doable? I will use large washers and nuts to secure the bases (shelves) where I want them. I will also paint the hardware, maybe flat black.

Am I missing anything that might make or break this project? Amazingly enough, the wife is ok with it

20. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

No real input on the floor project, but did you consider a wall mount at any time? Not the perfect solution, and always best if you can put it on a structural wall, but may be easier than what you are proposing.

21. honestabe316

I really don't think a suspended shelf from ceiling will be that hard....3 or 4,shelves (2) 1' foot pieces of 2×4 wood and a bag of nuts and washers....paint if I decide to paint....
    The spot that I want it to be has a entry door on the floor below so I don't want vibration when people come in And out and close door.....

22. honestabe316

Another question, had anyone else noticed if the blue indicator light at the off button on the performance dc glows a very dim blue once you turn off the tt? I just noticed this and don't know if I just never noticed it before.

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am not 100% sure, I have to check, but I believe this is the same with mine. I have the Ovation with the Magnify tonearm.

Not related to your question, but I purchased the outer limit ring recently and OMG it is like having a new turntable, the improvement to the sound quality is incredible.

24. ChrisAZ

ChrisAZ Well-Known Member

I had a Performance DC with a Clarify arm, liked the table but not the magnetic bearing arm (footfalls caused issues - this is a commonly known problem). Switched to a VPI Classic 3 with 3D arm, once again I liked the table but not the arm - fussy set up, didn’t work well with my Lyra Delos cartridge, wobbly. A week ago I returned to Clearaudio with an Ovation and a Universal arm. Now I’m thrilled. Easy to set up, stable, dead silent, black background, beautifully built, natural sounding. This is my lifetime table - you can’t go wrong here. [​IMG]

Morbius, HiFi Guy, FashionBoy and 4 others like this.
  25. honestabe316

That is a beautiful rig

HiFi Guy and ChrisAZ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.