Speaker location L shaped room

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tommytune, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG] Right now the speakers are positioned like in the first photo, on the short wall. To open up this 16 X 24 room by moving the sectional to the corner, the speakers would be on the wall that the two cabinets are now on. If I moved the speakers to that wall, the left speakers would be without a back or close side wall. I would not sit next to the rear wall, but 5 feet away in a chair as shown by the circle in the drawing.

I plan to have room treatments in the near future, 2 bass traps, first reflection absorber's and a rear absorber or deflector. They will be removed when not listening to music.

So my question is, should I leave the speakers set up like they are or will the sound be ok moving them to the interior wall? Will cymbal sounds from the left speaker be skewed with no back or close side wall?

Tom

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

3. tommytune

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I'd leave them where thy're at now. What's with the description of your speakers on your profile ? Do you hate them ?

beppe likes this.
  5. What Waxfreak said!!

The Pinhead likes this.
  6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I agree with Wax, they seem to be in the best position, and with the carpet I would think the "harshness" would be tamed. Nice speakers I would think.

The Pinhead likes this.
  7. dynamic73

dynamic73 Forum Resident

I got a similar arrangement. If you spike the speakers thru the carpet to the wood floors. It will help the sound a lot.

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

The KLF30 is a fantastic speaker. They are waaaaay too close to the back wall. They should be (and I understand reality) at LEAST 3' from the back wall. I don't doubt that they sound harsh the way you have them tight against the back wall. I don't think your Marantz is doing them any favors either.

Also, what type of speaker wire are you using? The horns are very sensitive to speaker wiring.

9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Why ? I understand that would only affect (reinforce) the bass response alone, if at all. And with 2X12¨woofers:candy: . Bringing them a little fwd. will help with the rear-located reflex port; tighter, more defined and balanced bass. Start at one foot if you don't want them too far into the room. It usually suffices.

I agree with my fellow posters; terrific speakers !!!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  10. tommytune

I do have many comments to state about my speakers, I want to post a photo of the midrange also. I may not have time today after work, but I would like help with these speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.