Looking for RCA Interconnect Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Can you say irony? :laugh:

2. Mitsuman

You and I seem to be typically like-minded, but on this one I'm going to have to say I don't totally agree. My experience over the last 3-4 years has caused me to change my mind regarding IC's. Being an engineer, I was a staunch supporter of "wire is wire" and current flow is current flow. I now have certain interconnects that I pair with certain devices, especially CD players and preamps. Now I don't run $500+ IC's, and I think there is certainly a point of diminishing returns that occurs rapidly above a certain price point, but I am a believer in IC's making a difference.

3. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I'm not hiding anything. I've been a contributor to the Computer Audiophile forum for four years. I use the same screen name and avatar over there, and all my audio equipment is listed.

I have experimented with many different digital audio cables, analog interconnects, speaker cables, and power cables. I am convinced that boutique cables that sell for hundreds of dollars are a waste of money. You are better off spending your hard-earned cash on better components. YMMV, but you are not altruistic for recommending expensive cables to someone who does not know any better. Perhaps they make subtle differences on a five-figure system, but someone with that kind of equipment would not be asking anonymous strangers for blind recommendations here.

2012 MacBook Pro i5/8gb RAM/120gb SSD running OSX 10.9.5 and Audirvana Plus, Kimber Kable Cu USB, NAD M51 DAC/digital preamp, Kimber Kable Hero interconnects, NAD C 275 BEE stereo power amp, Furez 10AWG speaker cable, B&W CDM7SE speakers, Sennheiser HD 600 headphones, Tripp-Lite 14AWG SJT power cables.

quicksrt, RogerB, csgreene and 8 others like this.
  4. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

My former i/c's were all Audioquest King Cobra. I demoed a set of MIT Shotgun S1 i/c's and Speaker Wires, and thats all it took.

I have everything but my Tonearm Wire (table to phono stage) hooked up with the Shotgun S1's. I have a pair of Audio Sensibility Phono Cables (OCC copper and OCC silver) + Audio Sensibility for my tonearm cable. (this cable has a must smoother, yet detailed tone than the King Cobra did in this spot).

Their Statement Cable would be an excellent choice also Interconnects (OCC copper and OCC silver) + Audio Sensibility

Check out their offerings, a very good cable at a reasonable cost when comparing the US dollar to Canadian Dollar exchange rate.

Shoalcove and CrazyCatz like this.
  5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

So, lets take a a manufacturer's well designed integrated amp, now we split it into 2 separates, a preamp and amp but still identical to the original single unit in all electrical ways, and to make things as close to the integrated as possible the power supply remains the same but a simple connection from the preamp to the amp is provided to power the preamp from the power amp's power supply section which is identical to the original design of the integrated unit.

So, in essence we have the exact same thing electrically with the only change being just a power supply cable for the preamp and now we also need a left and right RCA interconnect to connect the preamp to the power amp.

Now, do we really believe we can now tinker to "improve" the sound by using the "right" interconnects? Or is the connection "right" by making it as simple as possible just like the original connection between the 2 units by trying to mimic the original connection inside the integrated amp between it's power amp section and preamp section which would most likely be some short traces on an IC board.

Take that theory one step further and let us build an integrated amp with a built in CD player, when we split that unit out into 3 separates are we now going to again "improve" the sound by selection of another set of RCA interconnects?

The logic of using interconnects to "improve the sound" is seriously flawed, which one IS doing in altering the sound if said design of chosen interconnects changes that simple connection point of transmission of the signal by the interconnects being made in such a way that they now act as a filter/tone control or such which alters the signal.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I really would like to know exactly what a "a much smoother, yet detailed tone" is? Can it be measured? It should be able to be measured as it must be altering the electrical signal in some way, shape, or form.

csgreene and LarryP like this.
  7. Mitsuman

Please see what I've highlighted. This is not an insignificant statement. You know, and I'm sure have experienced, the audio thing called synergy. Why do some speakers sound better with some amps? Why do people hear differences between CD players? Why do certain phono cartridges sound better with certain preamps and speakers? I'm not arguing that we aren't playing with the sound by changing cables..............that's the idea. In this way, IMHO, we can tailor the sound to improve the overall system sound.

JJ Cahill, T'mershi Duween and F1nut like this.
  8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

"we can tailor the sound to improve the overall system sound"

If that statement is true it is in essence saying there is something wrong with one or more components within said system and that one is thus using the interconnects to correct that flaw(s), instead of buying the proper components in the first place which do not require the use of "special" interconnects to fix flaws.

quicksrt, patient_ot and LarryP like this.
  9. Mitsuman

It's not that black and white my friend. Do you believe in room treatments?

10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

A room and placement of speakers and such is something one must more often than not accept as not being designed properly for sound and one then has to deal with that problem, unless one has designed and built a system and room to mate together properly.

Proper selection of components which do not require sonic altering by means of cables seems to be the right way to put a sound system together.

11. Mitsuman

So how does one design a system, made up of different components and likely different manufacturers with different ideas of design and how their components should sound, so that they mate properly? The first time? Without ever needing to make any changes? If you can tell me unequivocally how do to that, you could save me a lot of time and money, and it would make my wife happy as well. :agree:

wownflutter and F1nut like this.
  12. missan

missan Forum Resident

There is no such thing as synergy in audio, it can only be a compensation for flaws.

GuildX700 likes this.
  13. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

The only piece of measuring equipment I have on hand is my brain, accompanied by my ears.

WapatoWolf and F1nut like this.
  14. Mitsuman

So if we take a given power amp, that we could agree is of a capable design, functioning per manufacturer's spec, and is well made, and pair it with 4 different sets of speakers. They would all sound the same? One pair of speakers can't possible sound better than the others due to a synergy of some sort?

15. Whether or not someone buys into a cable strategy is not my concern, so I just refrain from debating the topic. I'm good with anyone believing in what they do about this part of our hobby. There really isn't a right or wrong answer/approach anyway, but I do think that everyone should try it and not automatically dismiss it. I just wanted to say that.

Personally I believe that cables can and do make a difference and I have several decades of trying different cables to support that view (to my ears). I have never tried any of the really high-end (read expensive) cable offerings, so I have no idea of they are better or not. Since I'll never play in that sandbox it matters little to me, but I'm happy for those who can and feel they offer an upgrade.

In my backyard I've yet to see a money tree, so I look for brands that I feel offer good value. One of those brands I only recently discovered was Morrow Audio. I purchased a pair of PH5 phono cables and I've been a happy camper. Very neutral sounding with no bass muddiness or noticeable roll-off in the upper registers.

Happy cabling! :)

16. missan

missan Forum Resident

Why on earth would the speakers sound the same? If so then they must be exactly the same.

17. Mitsuman

So there is a high likelihood that one pair will sound better with said amplifier, right?

18. missan

missan Forum Resident

You lost me. If the speakers are not the same the probability they will not sound the same is huge. Never mind the amp.

19. I see we're starting to veer off into other territory...typical of cable threads.

20. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes if someone starts to speak about synergy regarding cables, all is lost.

21. Mitsuman

22. Mitsuman

So a given set of speakers will always sound the same, no matter what amplification is used? Never mind the four different speakers.

23. missan

missan Forum Resident

I havenĀ“t experienced that. Most likely will the amps have enough different design to sound different.

24. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

This. No reason to spend more. Even the ZX+ level is great for decent savings.

John K.

ben_wood and avanti1960 like this.
  25. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

please refrain from the debate aspects of interconnect value. I welcome and appreciate suggestions from anyone who has direct hands on experience witnessing an upgrade from the cables listed to another within budget and how the sound improved.
    the balance of my system from hardware, speaker positioning, acoustic treatments, etc. is optomized and the differences among cables is readily apparent. I am not looking for tone control but rather an improvement in quality including transparency and dynamics. the cables mentioned (as well as others not listed) have shown subtle but distinct differences in these qualities and I am looking to improve if possible. thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.