Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Agreed - but they're tainted re-releases I wouldn't want to have.

2. I had that thought as well. I don't have these on wax and would really like them. However, if people didn't buy them then the record store would't buy them and the label wouldn't sell them. I mean, it is a long convoluted chain and my purchase (or lack there of) certainly would not affect this. It makes me feel dirty, though so I won't get them.

3. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

You know if there were as many people flipping as implied by the amount of bitching about flipping things would be dirt cheap on eBay.

hamicle, Sean, eddiel and 1 other person like this.
  4. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

At the very least, stores would be less likely to order them.

5. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

10 other indie stores will have them

6. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

I'm on the coast. 2.5 hour drive to the nearest store that most likely has what I'm looking for. So...right there with ya.

7. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

What's the record store in Portland worth all that??

8. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

State that you are a Vinyltarian and claim it as a religious holiday and it will be hell for you if you don't take part.

JasonA likes this.
  9. Rhythmdoctor

Rhythmdoctor Well-Known Member

I've been the top 5 in line for the last 5 years or so and I've NEVER sold a record. I see the same guys in line too and none of them flip on eBay. They're all legitimate fans of music and we all enjoy RSD very much. I'm not in love with anything this year but I'll still show up around 4 or 5 am.

10. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Does anyone know if Sax-son will be attending this year?

No Static and e.s. like this.
  11. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

So now that I have my budget locked down and have more to spend than I thought I would I'm starting my final dig through the list and looking up prices on Bullmoose. Totally blown away by pricing this year. Yeah there are overpriced items (the usual suspects classic rock and movie soundtracks) but the majority of the stuff seems to be bargain priced.

$18 for a limited edition LP, come on that's what they were charging for 7 inches a few years ago. People complaining about pricing this year are nuts.

Embracetheday and Gaslight like this.
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

:laugh: I was brushing my teeth when I read your post and nearly covered my screen in toothpaste!

Grow Fins likes this.
  13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Hey, didn't they forget something? Something like "....and don't buy our records from Plain Records either!!!"

e.s. and eddiel like this.
  14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Totally, all recent Spacemen 3 reissues were not great. Nothing like original Glas pressings. Or the first Fire reissues.

e.s. and oldturkey like this.
  15. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Does anyone know the track layout for the Robert Johnson set?
    I know it's the same tracklisting as the CD but I'm interested to know what tracks are on each side.

16. I had that thought as well. However, if you look 2 tweets down from the one I linked to, you see a retweet of someone who just purchased Ladies and Gentlemen... That is most likely a Plain release, no? Not that they fully endorse it, but it seems like a tacit acknowledgement.

17. My favourite record shop just told me that my Paul McCartney 3track demo tape (and the 7" of The Beatles) is on my way... great!!!:righton:

Always support your record shop!!!

18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

So far it looks that way. Will get a better feeling tomorrow (my local store is usually pretty fairly priced generally, so if the MSRP dropped I should see that reflected there).

19. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I thought Bowpromo would be the hot one (I'm resisting it--too much cash for my not-favorite era). Guess I'll be setting the alarm extra early again.

20. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Anyone heard the Johnny Cash children's LP? I'm thinking of buying it for a friend who's a big fan, but if it's preschool to the extreme, maybe not.

21. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I'm on the fence about this one too. I've bought all the other Johnny Cash RSD releases, which have been fantastic, but I'm not sure how much use I'll have for a children's album.

Tanx likes this.
  22. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I've noticed that most if not all "flippers" tend to maintain their high prices indefinitely even when these items don't sell. You'd think the normal "laws" of economics and retailing would be the practice - if you have something that isn't selling, lower the price to encourage a sale.

I've met people with this strange attitude that records especially RSD records that are suppose to be limited and scarce are incredibly valuable and that to sell them at a lower sale price to move the merchandise is somehow cheating them.

P.S. I suspect there are far more official retailers or people acting on their behalf who are "flippers' than we realize.

23. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

The Johnny Cash Children's Album is awesome. It may be a little silly but much of it was teaching style song from its day. Well worth it for a Johnny fan imo. I am one of them and I love it.

skisdlimit, Purplefowler and Tanx like this.
  24. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Excellent--thank you!

Phillip Walch likes this.
  25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

bongload had an Instagram post recently encouraging folks to buy their recent repress of Elliott smith's "figure 8". at the end of the post, they said something like "anything else is just plain wrong".....a sly dig at plain records.

e.s. and aseriesofsneaks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.