The Mavericks new album "Brand New Day" set for release on 03/31/2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. It would be nice if someone on here who has a Facebook could send them a message expressing our concerns. I would do it, but still haven't signed up for it due to its ties with the NSA and CIA.

Jackson likes this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

In a live setting like that, you just can't do everything as you know. I know an awful lot of artists have big egos to go with their big talent, and Raul is amazing. He sings so well, he writes amazing material, etc. I hope for the sake of his fans, and I'm clearly one of them, that whatever ego he has, and you have to have some to do what he does so well, won't get in the way of him realizing he can't do it all, and that he should get the best people possible to do the tech things that need to be done. I'm pretty sure he was probably the one who wanted that vintage mono sound as it doesn't seem likely a decision like that would be made by anyone else. Amazing people know how to work with others, amd know their limitations. With his talent, I hope he will concentrate on what he does best, because if he has had a significant say in the production side of things, I think he's demonstrated with two albums that sound isn't one of his strong suits. I liked what I heard of the new song, so I hope the rest will be good as well. There are not a lot of bands I genuinely enjoy these days, and I love their band, so I am aware I'm probably way to OCD about this but that's the kind of fans I would want to have! I'm in for the long haul, and will continue to buy all their albums, I just want them to sound good again. Thanks again Chris! Did you buy their live album yet? Would love your opinion!

longdist01 likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Hey, some people like different! Who cares why...you like it and you have to assume whatever you liked about it was the audience they were after for that album. And to be fair, not all the reviews were bad, a few enjoyed it. And I think everyone agreed the songs were great. I don't think there was a single bad song on Mono. There is a thread here specifically about the SQ of Mono and probably 25% were fine with it. I guess they have the right to make it sound however they want. I just want to see them sell albums and continue onward and I am concerned the more casual fans won't give them another chance if disappointed with the previous album.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I had checked to see if they were going to play in the Denver area a few months ago. Wouldn't you know, it, they had just played! I have a DVD of theirs and you can certainly see how hard they work to hive a great show, and they appear to be having a jeck of a good time doing so. I think you have to love your fans to do that, and I can't wait to support them when they come here again.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

So guys...I know some of us are concerned with the quick downhill slide on the sound quality of their last two projects. I just went to Amazon to simply see what people thought of the new live album. Geez! I assume most of Amazon buyers of music are casual listeners. Sound quality is not on most people's radar unless it's obviously bad. Mono got killed on Amazon. I am really shocked that this is yet again an issue for people regarding the live album! Review from Oct:" Performance is 5 stars...the sound quality is 2 at best." Next review: headline say's "Everyone has commented on the mix...yeah, it seems like it is missing some high definition." Three reviews later, "it sounds like a bootleg." Oh man, yikes! And in case they think this doesn't effect sales, another quote "I was going to get the vinyl until I heard how bad the digital sounded." Hmmm.....

I love the band, but I'm not going to feel bad anymore about the crappy sound quality if "normal" folks are even noticing. Sorry, but no excuse in this day and age for lousy sound. I listened to the album again today and it sounds like the mics are very far away, with Raul's vocals actually exhibiting a slight echo. That's just plain ridiculous for a band this good. Cmon guys!

Chris, do they see feedback like this? It's not hard at all, as you know, to place the mics in the right place! It sounds like they are hundreds of feet away from the stage. I'm going to take a wild guess, based on your appreciated comments, that you haven't heard the live album yet (or are diplomatically refraining from commenting). The shame of it is almost everyone loves the music. They deserve better. And since we are spending the money, and they've proven they are capable of very good sound, I think we do too!

spanky1 and longdist01 like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

All I can think is that someone used a heavy hand on the effects. As I said, everything was close mic'd - vocals, drums, guitar amp. I'm just the video guy at one of the venues they play, and I haven't hung out with the band or had more than a few words with Raul every nine months or so. If I get the chance when they play Knuckleheads next time, I'll mention it. Here's a show video with the raw stereo feed I got from the board - far from optimum, but obviously close mic'd:

When the band was on the label, I was forbidden to share this, but as that relationship is over, I think it will be OK. But I would prefer that nobody post this anywhere else. The video was switched live, with me operating two cameras and one additional operator down by the stage. The video quality is pretty low resolution as the internet connection is pretty poor, and this was captured from the encoder which was set for 360P.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    JohnB likes this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks Chris for your comments, and sharing the video.

I saw the band way back in 90's (Cryin' Shame, Music For All Occasions, and few shows within period) even with the band line-up now, and Raul seems like a Professional artist even back then! He was direct with fans, listened to feedback, honest time talking at the Bar aftershow. Now it's a different industry, and when a band can use Social media, read Reviews from music buyers, online shopping,etc... The band does owe it to themselves at minimum to release a quality product, because they are the ones backing it up, Touring etc.....

Anyway Chris you work with some of these issues in Video hopefully you can express some concerns if Raul is available at venue.

8. Chris DeVoe

Thanks. They are playing Thalia Hall (which is actually a venue, despite sounding more like the name of a newscaster) in Chicago May 5th.

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Kind of sad but I'm glad....Amazon has a couple of the tracks up for preview and I of course ordered the vinyl. Here's what's sad: on my iPad Pro, the two sampled songs sound better than anything on Mono did on my high end stereo! Sounds really clean, and it's definitely recorded in glorious stereo!

longdist01 likes this.
  10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Thanks so much for sharing that! It sounds great! Impossible not to smile while listening to Rolling Along.

They will be back at Knuckleheads Saloon on May 26th and 27th, in Kansas City.

12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

They got their mojo back, that's for sure, after that kinda stinker live album and the awful sounding Mono (but incredible songs). This one sounds fantastic and will be a fun listen on vinyl. I'm stunned how good it sounds on my iPad Pro! I wonder if they heard all the flack about the SQ of Mono? They sure stepped up. I don't know another band that sounds like they are having as much fun in the studio as these pros! I don't know how in the world he keeps coming up with new song writing ideas...that is very, very rare. Most bands are good for maybe three albums and then they dry up. I also love the cover. Let's hope it sells well enough that they will keep going. Fleetwood Mac was just asked if they may record again and Stevie Nicks said that based on the state of the record business, it no long makes sense to go into a studio and do this. Maybe since they are self releasing they can make it work.

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The new album, Brand New Day by The Mavericks is available as FLAC downloads 96/24 on both 7 digital and HDTracks. $15.30 on HDTracks with the 15% discount and $14.90 on 7digital

14. stereoptic

Sounds pretty compressed on first listen. :sad: Fantastic album, though. It swings
    Funny, I put it on right after an old Arhoolie Best of Flaco Jiménez. Brand New Day opens with Tex-Mexish Rolling Along and suddenly the sound went from warm and dynamic to boomy and louder.

spanky1 and melstapler like this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Mine came on vinyl today from Amazon. Will try and spin it later!

16. stereoptic

Still spinning this one - everyday this week, actually. The tunes are just so catchy (as always).

melstapler likes this.
  17. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Yep, I'd agree with Stereoptic. This was my first impression of the cd as well. I've listened to it in my car, and was underwhelmed with the sound quality. I suppose that statement needs to be qualified, so I should have said that in comparison to the MONO cd, it's much better. However, when comparing it to the MCA Records days, and the MUSIC FOR ALL OCCASIONS and TRAMPOLINE cd, it still pales in comparison. I'm not aware of everything that goes into this, but why the big sonic difference between now and then? Is it the producer? I have no idea who Niko Bolas is. I can't imagine it's the recording studios. Is this a sound they are trying for? I'm no audiophile, but I know what I like. MUSIC FOR ALL OCCASIONS and TRAMPOLINE sound great, as well as I can recall. MONO sounded absolutely horrible. IN TIME was not as bad, and BRAND NEW DAY isn't horrible, but is far from good. My ears are getting old, but there seems to be no dynamic range, and the highs seem chopped.

Musicwise, I'd put this one behind MONO and IN TIME. This may be due to the fact that I saw them live last summer and they performed many tracks from those 2 cds.

I love the Mavericks, but I'm really sad that the sonics of these last 3 studio cds are so poor(at worst), and average(at best).

18. stereoptic

@spanky1 - my review was based on the 24/96 download, so I would say to those that haven't purchased it yet just go with the CD and save a few bucks.
    I agree that Trampoline and Music for All Occasions were the last decent mixes and masterings. Raul' s last 2 solo releases were also more compressed than his earlier ones.

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

So, here is my take based on only two listens. First, I don't want to comment yet on the songs except to say they didn't jump out at me like they have on other albums. I hope I just need a couple more spins for the good one's to rise to the surface. Some of my favorite songs are one's I didn't like the first few time. I love this band, so I want to like this! I do love the over and the label on the vinyl.

Comparing almost any recording to MONO is an insult to any other recording. I felt that was just awful, so saying this one is better isn't saying much of anything. Yes, it's better. This has the same issue on vinyl the last live album had. It sounds like a blanket is over my Thiel speakers. And it's compressed to the hilt and isn't pleasing to my ears...kind off shrill. I am taking MONO out of the mix when I say, their albums in the audio department are going from beautiful to downright awful, in the order of the releases starting with MONO. I will say it's expensive to be in a studio and to mix over and over until you get everything right. They own their own label, so they are going to have their eye on that clock. And, they know physical media isn't selling well so you have to keep that in mind. So, I think problem one is they are trying to get in and out of any professional studio setting as fast as they can to avoid those huge hourly charges. However, I that doesn't explain why the mastering is being done like it is, and why they are taking a live band and compressing the heck out of it. As spanky1 said, there is little to no dynamic range (nope, it isn't your ears spanky)! That was the issue with MONO for sure, and the new live album to a bit less of an extent. The mix/mastering does not go with the band at all. And it sounds like they same guy has mastered the last three albums, so that's certainly an issue. And, they may simply be too busy to go past that "it's good enough" stance. Sometimes you do have to say that, depending on what's going on. That's a shame if that's the deal. Bottom line is someone likes this sound, it isn't an accident they sound so crappy.

spanky1 likes this.
  20. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

One criticism I have with regards to "Brand New Day" is the lack of material co-written or written with Kostas, one of Nashville's top country songwriters who played a major role in the band's success during the 1990s. Whether it's country, rock, blues or folk, Kostas has remained active and is still writing songs in a variety of styles and sounds. The inclusion of his songs or more co-writes with Raul Malo would be very satisfying to many longtime fans of The Mavericks. At least one or two Kostas-related songs would've been nice, but it's still a fun album.

Any fans of legendary songwriter Kostas?

Released on the Mavericks' 1995 album, "Music for All Occasions". Composed by Raul Malo and Kostas.

Jrr, longdist01 and stereoptic like this.
  21. Shakin

Shakin Forum Resident

Absolutely! Not only did he co-wrote great, great songs with Raul Malo, but also the songs he wrote with artists like Marty Stuart and Dwight Yoakam are wonderful.

longdist01 and melstapler like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

This month's Mix magazine has a feature about Niko Bolas, the person who recorded and mixed most of the recent Mavericks albums.

The Mavericks Brand New Day | Mixonline

He talks about his preference for as few microphones as possible - a single microphone on the piano, three mics on the drum kit, etc.

stereoptic and melstapler like this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I had to stop reading that article...it was making me angry. A Neve board? That album should sound absolutely lovely. They recorded in a very good studio. I had assumed they did this as a one off quickie recording to save some money, based on the absymal sound quality. No, they had the tools to make an excellent sounding album, just like they used to. Interesting that their sound quality went from stellar to absolutely horrible when Mr. Bolas took over the recording and mixing duties. That can't be a coincidence. I just don't understand how the band is not hearing how awful the sound is. All they have to do is listen to their albums prior to the previous three when he took over. Using as few mics as possible is certainly easier. However, I didn't know that was the goal when you go into a nice studio like that. For me, the sound speaks for itself. That clearly isn't the way to capture the energy and dynamics of a band like that. What a shame.

Thank you Chris for posting the link, as always.

spanky1 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

You're welcome?

25. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

It is crazy. They have the resources to have an excellent sounding recording. I'm not very knowledgeable about the reocrding process, but how does a terrible sounding cd like MONO get released? Surely someone along the way can recognize compressed garbage. Another question is WHY is it so bad? Is it overcompressed? Are the high frequencies rolled off? Is it simply a lack of dynamic range that is killing these recordings?

Not sure who Mr. Bolas is, but the 3 Mavericks recordings are my only exposure to him, and I'm underwhelmed. Can anyone on here comment on any other recordings he's produced?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.