Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

So when a helicopter or jet plane approaches the screen and then disappears behind...you think the sounds should still come from in front or the noise of the aircraft should just immediately cease?

I was watching Jordan to the MAX last night on Blu-ray and in one of the scenes he throws the ball at a hoop but you're about 2ft in front of Jordan and the hoop is clearly going to be behind me, the sound of the net comes from behind, makes perfect sense and I thought it was an excellent sound effect design.

I can't ever imagine going back to watching modern movies at home without surround sound

If you only want the band in front of you, you can listen to mono or stereo. My ideal surround sound mix of a studio album can place me directly into the music, so it's all around me instead of just in front of me. This may not appeal to everyone, it may not work on everyone's system; I have the same Acoustic Energy AELite 3 towers for rears that I have for fronts so I built my system with surround sound studio material as my #1 consideration as it's my favourite configuration for studio listening. With the massive difference in available material I of course still love my music collection that exists only in stereo or mono, but nothing makes my room disappear when I close my eyes and makes me feel like I'm floating away in the music like 5.1 does.

Some mixes unfortunately just aren't very good, 1+ for me is like that, Adam Kasper's work on Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog is not very good...but Elliot Scheiner, Steve Wilson, Bob Clearmountain, these guys know how to do it. Whomever did The Stranger (B Joel) and Strange Beautiful Music (J Satriani) also gets it. Make my room a thousand years wide, with me in the middle, sound all around, trip me the F out, that's what I want.

After hearing Bob Marley's Exodus in surround, the stereo version sounds boring now.

2. voles

voles Forum Lurker

I am sorry. I thought we were referring to the 2009 Mono remaster. I didn't think much 'fixing' went on with that.

I was fully aware of the 'restoration' carried out on the Stereo remasters. My particular favourite with those was the repairing of the fault in Lennon's shout in 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)' - I used to think it was tracking failure!

3. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

That's a very valid point. The use of discrete sounds in classical music usually sounds forced at best and ridiculous at worst, so surround mixes tend to use the surround channels to convey the sense of space the music was captured in. For more "adventurous" music (maybe incl SgtP), the studio itself was an instrument and the surround mix can be far more aggressive - imagine the laughter run out on ADitL coming at you from 360 degrees rather than just in front of you...

These are creative decisions and some people will love them, and some won't.

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I just woke up...
    what are we talking about...
    I saw chocolate a few pages ago..

5. voles

voles Forum Lurker

With respect, in a cinema you are still looking at a screen in front of you, the same as you are with a TV only bigger. Possible the aim is to put you in the 'head' of the camera, i.e. the director whose point of you would indeed have all the sounds surrounding it.

Nevertheless, to be fair, most home cinema doesn't throw much sound to the back anyway - its just ambience mainly.

6. voles

voles Forum Lurker

ODIrony and Klassik like this.
  7. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

Definitely agreed. There are a few moments in Emerick's book that make me wonder if he checked his ghostwriter's copy, so basic are a few misconceptions at large therein.
    Then again, while Emerick came up against the white coat brigade himself, in this case he may have been wearing his own :p

8. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Actually that diagram is correct for 5.1 music and it is how I have my system configured for music.
    BTW, someone mentioned SACD & DVD-A & Blu-ray configurations. It's the same for all 5.1 music. 5.1 is 5.1 no matter the format.
    The only difference really for 5.1 soundtracks is that the side surrounds should equal to or slightly behind 90 degrees of the listening position.
    With a 7.x soundtrack the rear surrounds are directly behind the listening position.
    Atmos is another animal.

BeatleJWOL and marcb like this.
  9. Klassik

I've tried this but my legs get tired standing there in no time and the cat is no respecter of the soundfield's integrity.
    BACK TO MONO, I say!
    :p

nasa09, Sean Murdock and Keith V like this.
  10. mongo

mongo Senior Member

One notable exception to this diagram is that the L/C/R position from the listening position is really not based on degrees but on an equilateral triangle based on the distance of the listener
    to the front speakers. So if the listener is 10 feet from the center speaker, the left and right speakers ideally would be 5 feet each from the center speaker with all speakers being 10 feet
    from the listener. That formula may resolve to 30 degrees but measuring in feet is far easier.
    Room correction software, I have Anthem ARC, can digitally delay the signal to compensate for any differing distances, room boundaries etc.
    My room is large enough to accommodate equi-distance for all 5 speakers

11. Klassik

The fact of the matter is that the albums not created for 5.1 are like the films not shot in 3D.
    Post-processing can't get back to the source material as other than 'material for gimmickry' and, despite the enjoyment that many derive from 5.1, it's nothing more than that.
    At least until you make fresh work for the format, then we're in gear.
    This is why anyone imagining the sound and excitement of LOVE transferred to any 5.1 reworks of Beatle albums will be disappointed somewhat.
    Love was a fresh canvas, with the 'sacred' material firmly feeding gimmickry.
    Applying 5.1 TO the sacred material is a different order of project and it's going to take a few tries and a lot of discussion about who got it best before we can contemplate any 5.1 Beatles albums joining any 'canon' or being in any objective sense 'best'.
    I'll go with Giles as a good bet because he's amassed a lot of experience 'close to the source'.
    But you've still gotta give him due consideration here. He's got Paul and Ringo in one corner suggesting he be as sacriligeous and extreme as an idea takes him but in many other corners, he has technical and canonical opinion to deal with.
    The other 5.1 remixers don't work with Beatles stuff which is available in 'primitive format' by comparison to most 5.1 source material (eg. drum kits not recorded in stereo etc).
    The suggestions that (insert current fave 5.1 rave remixer) would produce something better or more adventurous or (insert their supposed gift) is a tall order.

12. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

The future Mrs. Lennon must have swiped the biscuits...digestive

ODIrony, alexpop and Klassik like this.
  13. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

All this technical jargon about 5.1 reminds of the saying "You can't see the forest for the trees." My plan is to simply have fun and enjoy the great music of the Beatles presented in a new way. Why do people have to try to complicate things!!!

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

There's a story there I believe? :)

Keith V likes this.
  15. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Got to pass the time somehow I suppose...

16. alexpop

Back to Mono, precisely,

17. The project is complicated in itself... These posters are just explaining stuff and how to best use it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  18. MacTex

MacTex Active Member

There's an "unboxing" of sorts for the 6 disc package on YouTube.
    Taken by a smartphone?

DK Pete, Josip, zobalob and 34 others like this.
  19. alexpop

A list of rock albums influenced by Sgt Pepper?

20. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I always thought that my cartridge was at fault there too - especially when the track cut out before the finish of the song! ;)
    But - seriously (and off-topic I know) how were they able to cure the distortion in that shout? It's present in the 1987 CD.

voles likes this.
  21. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

looks like the real deal!

22. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Nice!

ODIrony likes this.
  23. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Pepper was a groundbreaking album for both artistic and technical reasons which is why it merits a 50th Anniversary Remix, in my opinion. Knowing this, is it any wonder that it attracts a seemingly infinite array of music lovers, poets, scientists, & historians on this thread in their own form of appreciation?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    MsMaclen likes this.
  24. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Decided not to watch it and thus ruin the surprise for myself.

Not to sound ungrateful to MacTex who posted it. It is very cool that people post such finds.

25. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

[​IMG]

longaway, Ed Hughes, Mal and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.