Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Guys, guys, guys. A bit of sage wisdom is in order here.
    [​IMG]

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Running up the hill backwards.

ODIrony likes this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Kate Bush/David Bowie?

4. Reel Music is notable for one great thing, heretofore unreleased on CD. Wanna gander a guess at what I am referring to?

Keith V likes this.
  5. paolo

paolo Senior Member

The Movie Medley is the first thing that springs to mind but that's not on the album.

vince likes this.
  6. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

100% agree on the 2011 remastered Anthology releases. To my ears, there's a definite improvement when I've A/B'd a few tracks from 2011 vs. the 1996 CDs. "One After 909" is a track that especially sounds more clear and punchier on the 2011 set -- granted, not all tracks are an upgrade, but this under the radar, non-physical remaster is worth it if you're a Beatle fanatic. Oh, and imo, the 2011 remasters brought the sound level more in line with the 2009 stereo remasters as well.

They're a tad pricey, especially since we all purchased the CDs long ago, but I bought all three volumes in lossless 16/44 from Qobuz.

I added all three 2011 sets, plus the highlights release (which is also available as lossless files from Qobuz), to the Dynamic Range site:

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

Look for the four sets dated 2011 -- these are the releases that I added. They are less dynamic than the 96 releases, but not massively so...and I'm generally okay with tracks falling in the 9/10 range.

A definite upgrade!

evilpants, Sean Murdock and slane like this.
  7. slane

slane Forum Resident

The 'fix' on the intro of I Should Have Known Better?

It wasn't on the UK album though, and Capitol fixed it using the wrong bit anyway. So that wasn't so great.

Keith V likes this.
  8. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I think you are quite confused on how a surround sound set-up is supposed to be used.

First, it's called surround for a reason, the music surrounds you. It's not completely in front of you. That may be your preference, but it's not the intended effect or the way the person mixing the 5.1 content intended you to hear it.

The back speakers are usually referred to as "rear" speakers for a reason, they are supposed to be set-up behind you.

I've never heard of a mixing engineer mixing for a specific music 5.1 set-up that is different from a movie 5.1 set-up. What you're suggesting is that one would have to reorient their surround speaker set-up depending on the program material. "Oh, I want to watch a movie, better movie these speakers behind me!"

That's just silly and plain wrong.

Here's some reading for you. Check out pages 18 and 20. I'd also recommend you read the list of people associated with the pamphlet. Many of them have probably mixed a 5.1 program that you've listened to:

http://www2.grammy.com/pdfs/recording_academy/producers_and_engineers/5_1_rec.pdf

9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I still have both the LP & the single of "Movie Medley"...
    Are they considered rare?

10. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Is this discussion becoming more and more something for the 'audio hardware'-forum?

11. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

This chart is assuming SACD are all multi channel. They're not.

12. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Not if readers want to get more enjoyment out of the upcoming 5.1 mix. It's more relevant than people posting pictures of the Beatles drinking tea. :)

13. No!

paolo likes this.
  14. Tht looks like it's worth more that $200.

Why don't people shoot landscape???

15. Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    ODIrony likes this.
  16. And now for a smoke break... Be back in 4:20:D

[​IMG]

17. slane

slane Forum Resident

Pity they didn't use the same bit as the mono fix though.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Mike, just an aside -- when did you buy the lossless Anthology sets from Qobuz in the U.S.? I delayed grabbing them a couple of years ago -- wasn't sure I could justify the cost for mere downloads -- and now the Qobuz U.S. doesn't have them anymore. Is there any legal source for these in lossless in the U.S.?

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The mock ( real video ) can you store 2LP as well ?

20. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Damn it! Shouldn't have watched this! I was settling for the 2 disc set but I might have to buy this bloody thing now! :realmad:

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I couldn't agree more! Why complicate Take 1 of "Strawberry Fields Forever" by putting those backing vocals on?? ;)

Billy Budapest and ODIrony like this.
  22. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

The Beatles Movie Medley only has one rare incarnation, an early single version with the B-side titled "Fab Four on Film" (Interview) unlike the more common incarnation with "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You" .

Klassik, Lewisboogie and vince like this.
  23. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Hi Sean -- I don't believe that there is a legal option, in the U.S., for a person to purchase the Anthology sets as lossless files.

Sean Murdock and Klassik like this.
  24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I just love tired comments like this from people who think one can't see both the trees and the forest....:sigh:

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

So much wrong here I don't know where to start. But how about...surround speakers at 10 & 2? No surround mix is mixed with this speaker positioning in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.