Black Sabbath's Original Lineup: Vote for Your 3 Favorites

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by profholt82, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It sure ain't underrated here - every Sabbath thread is a Sabotage-smooch fest. Not that I'm complaining - it's a great album - but I think of TE and NSD as being far more underrated if not downright disrespected.

"Sabotage Smooch Fest." That needs to be a band name. :laugh:

2. Went with the first three.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Sabotage
    Technical Ecstasy

Never Say Die! is fourth.

Evil Strawberry likes this.
  4. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Funny... I think side two is just perfect.

5. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Oh, I thought you meant 'vote for my favorite members', which I thought was somewhat mean-spirited.

6. S/T
    SBS
    Sabotage

7. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Master of Reality
    S/T
    Vol. 4

8. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    s/t
    Vol. 4
    Sabotage

This is my kinda thread idea!

jon9091, profholt82 and dkmonroe like this.
  9. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Sabotage, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Vol. 4

Nycademon and jon9091 like this.
  10. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Master Of Reality
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Sabotage

11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Vol 4, Master, S/T

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I have that NEMS LP! Bought it for about $3 back in 1978. It still sounds fantastic. I needle-dropped it and the new Rhino Deluxe and the NEMS compares favorably.

13. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Nice, Bruv. Bought it for "Evil Woman" and the :bone: GRYMM :bone: gate-fold, but of course. Not a bad Dutch pressing. I tend to go country of origin first, but i saw it (minty cover and wax) and couldn't say no. Price was not unreasonable about 4 few years ago either.

Old school (say...pressed pre-mid '80 or so) vinyl exclusively for me. If not, CD will do me just fine.

dkmonroe likes this.
  14. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

Paranoid
    Black Sabbath
    Vol. 4

15. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Black Sabbath
    Sabotage
    Technical Ecstasy

16. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard Thread Starter

For posterity, at the 24 hour mark, these are the results:
    [​IMG]

I didn't know quite what to expect when I made the poll, other than predicting that 'Paranoid' would probably lead the pack. Considering how much positive talk I'd heard about 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' over the years as an artistic achievement, et cetera, I am a bit surprised that it isn't in the top 3. I'm just getting deeper into BS, and finding an old copy of that one at my local record shop recently has been the catalyst. But now I'm really looking forward to checking out their others as well. I think I'm probably most intrigued by 'Technical Ecstasy' and 'Never Say Die' due to their relative unpopularity. :p

17. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

Never Say Die is well worth having, it's got a couple of duff tracks but also some of my favourite Sabbath tracks esp Juniors Eyes and Hard Road.

18. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

SBS
    Never understood the love for Vol. 4 aside from Snowblind?

19. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

SBS
    S/T
    Vol. 4

20. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

This is strictly my opinion on the latter day efforts of Technical Ex and Never Say Die. In terms of musical growth, Technical Ecstasy offers a dynamic shift within Sabbath's musical style and while tracks like "Rock and Roll Doctor", "It's Alright" and "She's Gone" offer different nuances away from the norm of their sound, with the intention of spreading their creative wings, these cuts remain an example of what fans really didn't want from the band during that point in time. And in spite of more significant numbers that stay relevant within the formula of Sabbath, such as "Back Street Kids", "All Moving Parts" and "Dirty Women", the results are more of a "par for the course" scenario, which allows the record to maintain a familiar consistency without throwing complete caution to the wind.

The problem with Never Say Die, outside of "Juinor's Eyes", is that the band had to virtually write new material as they recorded it, considering that Ozzy had rejoined the band rather quickly from a 5 month temporary break and the band had worked with ex-Savoy Brown/Fleetwood Mac singer, Dave Walker during the interim. So things had to shift back a bit haphazardly and I think one can hear that within the grooves of the record. It's not to say that there isn't some noble material offered, as I do like numbers such as the title track, "Shock Waves", "Johnny Blade" and even "Air Dance". "Air Dance" is probably one of the best original and innovative tracks to emerge from those sessions and while it treads water with jazz and pop tendencies, the written arrangement and performance comes off as a marvelous result. But the album overall, sounds a bit disjointed, despite it being a bit heavier than its predecessor, Technical Ecstasy, there's a spark that's lacking among the band and unfortunately, it's blindingly apparent within its listening duration.

That's my two cents on those albums, for what it's worth.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  21. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

A little surprised to see the first album get this many votes. IMO this one has all the doom and gloom qualities of any of their records (if not more), but stylistically it seemed to be a bit of a carryover from the late sixties and doesn't yet have their signature sludge sound, which was more developed on Paranoid, then in full sonic sludgy swing on Master Of Reality.

Vol. 4 was my first and favorite (you always remember your first). Still remember being blown away hearing Tomorrow's Dream and St. Vitus Dance on the radio back in '72.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  22. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

You actually heard these played on the radio?

Back in that time, I would call and beg the local FM stations to playing *anything* except Paranoid...nope, that's as far as they would go with Sabbath.

Mickey2 likes this.
  23. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Tough and might depend on the day you ask and my mood but I went for Vol 4, MOR and Sabotage

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The debut just has a raw, eerie quality to it. The rawness is due to being recorded in about a day or so. There's such great energy on that record. It's like watching evolution in motion (or hearing it in this instance). You can hear everything coming together. Besides that, "Behind the Wall of Sleep" is a fantastic song. There's many great songs on the album but unfortunately a lot have been overplayed (much like Paranoid)

SonicBob likes this.
  25. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Black Sabbath
    Master of Reality (the C# tuning launched a million stoner/doom bands)
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - their masterwork

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.