AudioQuest carbon fiber brush - new and improved model!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Turnaround, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Storey

John Storey Well-Known Member

Let us know what you think when it comes!

2. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I loved the Hunt brush (which is better than any carbon fiber brush IMHO) until I bought this one- it picks up the best of any pre-play cleaner I have ever used.
    A couple drops in the top ports and it's good for nearly a week and the base has a convenient cleaning strip.

Amazon.com: Audio-Technica AT6012 Record Care Kit with Record Care Solution, Brush Pad, Storage Base, and Adhesive Tape: Home Audio & Theater

superstar19 and Paranoid_Android like this.
  4. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I bought one of these and have been using it for a few days now. I really like it so far. The CF bristles are a little stiffer than my older Record Doctor brush.

5. John Storey

Cliff, that's just not fair. Another good testimony for these!?! My wallet hates you, I think I have to buy one of these...

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Pretty much all CF record brushes I have ever seen are made in China, probably in the same factories. These companies order them from a supplier and just tell them to put whatever brand name they want on them. The store brand brushes are the same as the ones made by the snake oil cable companies.

dchang81 and Robert C like this.
  7. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I have one of these and stopped using it when I got the Hunt brush, maybe I should dig it out! :shake:

8. macster

macster Forum Resident

I'm a sheep, I just bought one also.

M~

9. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

I got mine today - works much better than my vintage Decca carbon fibre. It really picks up the dust. It's a small investment for a product I'll use for years.

10. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

I wasn't a fan of that one either. The fact is that in so many instances the vinyl is holding a static charge and the dust tends to hold to the vinyl. My experience with dry brushes is that they just pull the dust around and don't pull it off the record.

Other people's experience may vary, of course.

11. JMT

JMT Senior Member

I've been using the new brush for a few days now, honestly prefer my Hunt brush. The new AQ brush still seems to leave a line of dust regardless of how I turn my wrist when removing.

12. GruvyWade

GruvyWade Well-Known Member

Does anyone who owns this new brush also own a voltmeter? Could you measure the resistance between the bristles and the metal piece on the handle? That will give an indication of how effective it will be at removing static.

Robert C likes this.
  13. John Storey

Great idea! I'd be curious as well...

14. I'm not sure that I'd want my wife to see me putting my multimeter on my CF brush! Lol!
    Practically speaking though, if the static has to run through the brush and then is grounded through the holder (me!), why not just touch the edge of the LP as it comes to speed and ground it directly?
    I use a cheap Project CF brush to collect the dust and then a moistened velvet brush to pick it off the record. I read that tip in a thread here and find it works great! I just picked up an excellent condition original Discwasher brush last week for that duty and it works and looks as good as I remembered.
    I do have an RCM for cleaning dirty records.
    There is no doubt that a clean and static free LP is a big factor in my enjoyment of an album. However you get there works for me.

15. GruvyWade

GruvyWade Well-Known Member

The record is not a conductor, so you would only ground the part of it that you touch - picking up a piece of styrofoam does not ground it, for example.

Shoalcove likes this.
  16. Ok. That seems like a reasonable explanation to me. Thanks for clarifying it for me!

GruvyWade likes this.
  17. macster

macster Forum Resident

The "R" fluctuated between 37-53 ohms, but the device works (very well) on the first four lps that I tried it on.

M~

18. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I finally got mine. I do notice an improvement over the original model. Don't own a Hunt brush so can't compare to that.

19. Rubico

Rubico Member

I am holding out for the dual pivot model.

20. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

i am going to buy one in 30 years when they work out all the kinks.

21. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

22. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

My wife bought me one. Too bad my records are packed away pending our move...

23. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

It's got thunder in the name and costs twice as much. Must be better!

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I got the new Audioquest last week.
    It's a great improvement over the old Audioquest and the Hunt.
    Picks up more dust, eliminates more static and since it feels lighter in your hand you don't have to put any pressure on the platter.

Mike6565 likes this.
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I use my record brushes very rarely, because my LPs are all in covered boxes and crates. They don't accumulate much dust after a wet clean. I've had the velvet type brushes, the generic carbon fiber type, and the Hunt type. Of those I preferred the generic carbon fiber one as I didn't like the ergonomics of the Hunt type brush.

Awhile back a friend gave me a Gruv Glide kit and that works better than any brush I've tried, IME.

If static is a real problem, time to attack at the source or break out the Zerostat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.