Cleaning CD Video disc

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hotdog, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotdog

Hotdog Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I bought a secondhand CD Video single (The Timelords' Doctorin' the Tardis, if you must know) recently. It has an audio and laserdisc layer, so three tracks play on the CD player, and the video will play on a laserdisc player, not that I have one of those. The audio seems fine, which is why I bought it. However, I noticed that the front of the disc had finger smudges, so I attempted to clean it, first with a fibre optic cloth, then a baby wipe, then an antibacterial wipe. I also tried window/glass cleaner. The underside (playing side) of the disc looks fine. However, in common with other plastic surfaces around the home, the wipe has left cloudy/swirly marks on the disc label side, which is a bit annoying. I haven't had this problem with other CDs (not that I clean many), but those are standard silver discs. This one is gold-coloured. I wonder if it's similar to the MFSL discs in that sense. Browsing around, laserdisc collectors often seem to recommend using Novus on plastic. Has anyone tried anything like this on gold/bronze laserdisc surfaces or similar? I'd like to get rid of the swirls. Recommendations appreciated please.

2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Get ready for acronym overload...

Is this one a Japanese pressing or a UK pressing? NTSC or PAL?

Many CDVs, even NTSC ones for the US market were pressed at PDO in the UK. During their "bad" years. Many of them won't play anymore. In that case, if you do have a good one that's still fully playable, I really wouldn't worry about any little marks or anything and would definitely avoid any exposure to liquid or humidity, as well as any chemicals as there is a chance that this can accelerate the "bronzing" / oxidation of these discs... and it's hard to tell, because like you mention some of these already were produced with a gold color.

Smudges on the bottom would really only affect the video portion, at least much more so than the audio portion. IMO - just leave it alone, especially since you don't even plan on playing the video portion you don't have much to worry about besides PDO bronzing typical of that era.

And I DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend doing any polishing or cleaning of the label side of these discs - that's asking for trouble

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

No issues with play back on my UK PDO's, luckily they haven't succumbed to the dreaded rot issue, I'll have to check mine, but some label sides may be plagued with that sticky nimbus type syndrome.
    One of my UK Level 42's has a normal cleanable front, the other has the sticky front, avoid cleaning it only maybe with a dry micro fiber towel, lightly or not at all, they may actually smear.
    Nice find on that KLF (Timelords) Hotdog!
    Dire Straits-Brothers In Arms UK PDO -Sticky
    Men Without Hats-Pop Goes The World-Japan, feels like a vinyl cut sticker for the labeling. Dry cleaning also.
    I'd say with any of these CD-V's, use extreme caution for any manufacturer.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Hotdog likes this.
  4. Hotdog

It's a UK pressing so bound to be PAL. And I think it was pressed by PDO. Haven't tried to rip it, but it does play and looks mint otherwise. Bit annoying that the swirls are there from cleaning now. Has anyone got any tips to safely restore it back to looking shiny? It's odd that normal silver CDs also get these swirly marks, but they'll disappear easily with a microfibre cloth. It must be possible...

c-eling likes this.
  5. c-eling

Happy at least it plays fine! No clue on the swirls, i'm not that brave when it comes to these types of discs :laugh:

6. Hotdog

I wonder if it is the same material as MFSL gold discs.

7. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Like I said in my other post, even many NTSC discs intended for the US market were pressed in the UK right alongside the PAL discs so it can still be either one. But since you've already identified it as a UK pressed disc you now know enough to know that you should take some extra caution with this one. I wouldn't use anything more than a cloth on the label side, and I wouldn't even do that if there is already damage to the metal layer like pinholes or flaking, or small scratches.... just my thoughts but I'd be afraid of stressing it in any way that could cause it to oxidize faster.

I have a small collection of these discs, and the PDO pressed ones range from unplayable to slightly playable even if they look fine to the naked eye. Usually it's the video portion that will go first, I think the LD player can't get a lock on the signal at all... one of them will actually play in a badly jumbled black and white if you let the player try it's best to recognize it (it'll attempt to load it for a good 5 minutes first though)

The Japanese pressed ones are flawless though of course. I even have one with some major damage to the video portion, still somehow plays with only some slight video noise.

c-eling and Hotdog like this.
  8. c-eling

Straight from a Level 42 disc :D
    [​IMG]

Hotdog and MrRom92 like this.
  9. Hotdog

Thanks. Apparently, Mobile Fidelity Shine Ola CD DVD SACD Cleaner can be used for laserdiscs. Wonder if anyone has tried it for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.