"Bose headphones spy on listeners says lawsuit"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by segue, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member Thread Starter

Their noise cancelling phones are very good for flying. They pretty much own the market of professional pilots, flight tour operators, and business travelers.

showtaper likes this.
  2. John Storey

John Storey Well-Known Member

Genius.

3. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

I'm flattered that someone is monitoring my preferences. Expecting girls with big knockers to begin showing up at my door any day now.

Gumboo likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The saving grace with this spy thing it, that at least SHF members, will NOT be affected!

Strat-Mangler and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yikes. Glad I never used these.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I see this argument all the time but it has zero basis in logic. Because there are worse examples doesn't make it right or OK to allow them to get away with this.

Dave, showtaper and Kyhl like this.
  7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

8. Strat-Mangler

Baby monitors with video cameras are now sold. To provide the content, they need to be hooked up to your wireless router. Like all devices sold today, a password is needed to access the baby monitor's functions and to operate it. Typically, these have a default password like 1234 straight out of the factory. Every manual stresses to change that but lots of people are either forgetful or can't be bothered so they don't.

In the past few years, some people have killed time by finding out active monitors and using this 1234 password to log in. Since the password was never changed and this info is common knowledge, the access is granted and now the so-called hacker can operate it, namely by using its speaker function to relay audio to the baby (e.g. screaming/yelling at it). Once the baby gets agitated and starts crying, they get to see the parents barging into the room to calm the baby down and somehow, that is extremely amusing to these sick weirdos.

Some even go as far as muttering threats to the parents (such as "I know where you live", "Watch your back", etc). Some people are just sick in the head.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Kyhl and dkmonroe like this.
  9. Jesus Christ.

Strat-Mangler and dkmonroe like this.
  10. John Storey

John Storey Well-Known Member

Wow! What a forum this is! We talk about everything from Bob Dylan, Hi-Fi, to baby monitors!

Dave, luckyno13 and dkmonroe like this.
  11. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

This is the first argument about Bose mining data that I've seen.

12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I don't own the Bose wireless headphone, or have the app. I honestly can't understand what it is that a headphone app would do for you. I would assume it would have to be something related to listening to music. I need my phone to be on the app and if I'm on my phone, I can control my music from there.

From there, what data could be collected? If I'm running Itunes, I'm pretty sure Apple has all the data that can be collected. I don't know how data about my music history helps Bose sell their products or who they could sell the information to. Again, Apple has it covered. They don't need to buy that from Bose.

If they ar farming my browsing history or geo tracking me that would certainly be out of bounds but also quite a bit of effort on their part just to sell info to advertisers.

None of it makes any sense and I don't think Bose is really doing any of this. But let this serve as a reminder that nothing you do on the internet (or any public space) is private. YOu leave footprints for everyone to see. If you opt in to the GPS services, guess what? You are disclosing your location for other to use.

BTW, if something bad comes from this data being out there, your were up to something that was illegal. Go ahead, collect all the data you want on me, knock yourself out.

If ever I feel the need to do do something shady, I'll just turn off my phone.

13. Strat-Mangler

I'm referring to the nature of the argument. The premise that because somebody else does something worse that the first action is somehow excused.

Mark E. Moon. likes this.
  14. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I think the issue isn't about Bose mining the data to market things to you. It is about Bose selling the information about you to a third party that mines the data about you.
    In that regard, it is a different situation than Apple using information of Itunes users. It would be more like Apple selling data about iTunes users to a third party.

If GPS or cell tower ping is enabled they could know, where you work, how long you are there during the week, where you live, what sporting events you see, what Dr you see and how often, what pharmacy you use, and the list goes on.....
    That would go way beyond knowing if you secretly like Air Supply.

15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Sure it's creepy but how does this hurt me? And I really don't want anyone knowing how much I listen to Dylan, people might think I'm weird.

Kyhl likes this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

It is mostly about Bose conveniently not warning its users about these practices. If a consumer is alerted, he/she can make an educated decision as to whether they're OK with those terms and conditions. Right now, there is no info whatsoever in the EULA.

With respect, it's a slippery slope to think this way. Also consider the fact that because you have this viewpoint, it does not mean others will share it.

From the standpoint of being principled, if I pay that much money for a Bose product (and let's not kid ourselves ; they're almost all incredibly overpriced), I should not have to additionally surrender anything to them. If anything, they should PAY me to get access to my personal listening habits and whatever else they track. The fact that consumers are asked to pay after which their data is discreetly piped to Bose behind their backs is appalling.

Runicen and Mark E. Moon. like this.
  17. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Depends on the people that have the information. If the Dr office you regularly attend is a dialysis center and that information is assembled and sold to an HR consultant or potential employer they could use that information to control their health care costs by not hiring you. All because of the headphones you use.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I agree that there should be transparency (If it is happening), people should know it is happening and be able to opt out. I'm advanced level paranoid hippy but I'm not going to worry about my headphones taking me down.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Damn, that is a hell of a pair of headphones.

20. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

they may do if travelling.

21. It's Felix

if you are being serious. That is pretty spooky. camera on your phone I would guess...

tspit74 likes this.
  22. It's Felix

yeah, one accidental Phil Collins search, and that's it for 10 years - every middle aged rock album ever then recommended...

showtaper and Dennis0675 like this.
  23. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

It's big data, not the band. :D

It does amaze me the amount of information people freely share about themselves these days, not realizing the implications.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

If HR finds out about half the stuff I post on this forum I'm toast. Lucky for me I keep my headphones off while I'm doing it.

nm_west and Kyhl like this.
  25. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

Good post. But on your last point, are you sure your phone is really off, just because it's telling you it is? ;)

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.