Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm not sure why I have a soft spot for these guys. Maybe because one of them is ex-Camper Van Beethoven and they did have a few really good radio hits. Plus they have a song that is a tip of the hat to the Band, "If I Could Give All My Love (Richard Manuel Is Dead)." Sometimes a song of theirs comes up on shuffle that is maybe a little bland, but never outright bad. :) I have August..., Recovering The Satellites, Hard Candy, and Saturday Nights....

They were definitely a "Dad Rock" precursor.

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Regina's second album. Only piano and vocals. Beautiful.

c-eling likes this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Ranger Bob here. Just got back from my daily 1h powerwalk in the woods. Saw three hens and this magnificent fellow. It's called Tjäder and the one I spotted was a lot bigger than a regular farm rooster. Maybe they're called Wood Grouse in english?
    Also saw a red woodpecker, what a cool little bird!
    And yesterdays animal sighting was a big Crane, we see them all the time in the spring. Returning from Spain for the mating season.
    Ranger Bob over and out

Back to the music. Exile on main street is playing to celebrate the weekend. It never fails

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I don't like Exile on Main Street, but I love the forest, the birds and the sounds they produce.

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. wavethatflag

It's not your fault that I'm a lightweight. I knew what I was doing, and I enjoyed doing it. I don't often drink beer, but when I do I don't like to stop. This is why BART and Muni were invented. I did the drink a lot of water regime when I got home, apparently I didn't drink enough. :)

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

That term cracks me up, even the thread on it is hilarious Flag, didn't a really old episode of Beavis and Butt-head use the term Cop-Rock once? :laugh:

wavethatflag likes this.
  8. budwhite

Indeed. I'm happy to live just ten minutes from a vast forest where you can walk for days without seeing much civilization.

9. wavethatflag

Dad Rock is sort of an unnessary term, although I take it to mean post-80s acts who rock in the classic vein, I guess?

I have no idea what Cop Rock is. Like B&B I hate music that sucks.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I have no idea either, 'Dad Rock' my first time hearing the term was on this forum

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. budwhite

Bono you fool. The new version of Red Hill mining town is very close to the old one, but with a 30 year older man singing. Why even bother if you're not changing anything really??
    The orginal take has my favorite Bono studio vocals.

It's up on spotify if anyone is curious

wavethatflag likes this.
  12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I recall a scene in the Simpsons:

Marge: "Wow, you can't find this stuff anywhere. Seals and Crofts, Pablo Cruise, Air Supply, oh, Loggins and Oates ... and it's free!"

Lisa: "I've never heard of these bands, Mom, what kind of music do they play?"

Bart: "Crap rock?"

Marge: "No ..."

Homer: "Wuss rock?"

Marge: "That's it!"

My Mom has that record...

FWIW I heard them do a pretty good rendition of Friend of the Devil, I believe it was somewhere on Youtube.

13. wavethatflag

Oh yeah, it's Mom rock alright. As I was saying to @Crispy Rob the other night, my powers to deselect are now on the wane such that almost nothing can escape the black hole that is my music collection. Where I once was only eclectic, I am now almost indiscriminate.

14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I'm not saying I think Counting Crows falls into either of those buckets. Though I wouldn't have said so in 1998, I think they are a pretty good band now. I have no objection at least.

I remember a line in movie where the female lead is falling for some guy in college, and she's kind of going through a 'what do I see in him?,' and one of the negatives is 'he listens to Complaint Rock,' and I think Counting Crows is one of the bands. But I could be misremembering that.

wavethatflag likes this.
  15. wavethatflag

Dylan is definitely Complaint Rock.

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Cop Rock was an incredibly poorly conceived musical/cop TV show that bombed on a major network and was a relatively recent thing back when Beavis and Butthead came out, so more people probably got the reference back then. I swear, this was a real show on a major network, jump to about :50 to see the hilarious transition from regular cop show style to musical:

"Dad rock" was coined in, or at least became a lot more of a well known term after it was used in, a review of Wilco's "Sky Blue Sky", I think in Pitchfork.

wavethatflag likes this.
  17. budwhite

We listened to quite a bit of Counting Crows in the summers of '04-05. I still enjoy their early work but I was always a casual listener and don't know a thing about them except that the singer had dreads....

David Allen Coe and Johnny Paycheck over here. But I might put on the Crows later

wavethatflag likes this.
  18. budwhite

I think I listened everyday for at least 5 months when they came onto the scene. So cool back then for a 16 year old kid who's been "studying" rock n roll history for just about a year

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. budwhite

Which lead me to(by way of almost famous also) VU, Doors, Lou , Bowie, Iggy ,Television, Tom Petty....

I haven't seen this footage before

20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Listening to a recording of Bob's 4.18.17 show from New Orleans.

The Bird Song was outstanding. Kimock is always fantastic ... but Bob is really sounding better than I've heard in years. I'm glad to hear it wasn't just the new album. Bob is doing well, very well.

budwhite and Rne like this.
  21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    A ball of distortion, but I like it.

notesofachord and footlooseman like this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Roxy Music: Country Life

23. wavethatflag

I've been thinking about listening to this one over the last couple weeks. I'll definitely do it soon. Maybe even before I get through the DiP I'm listening to.

24. wavethatflag

This band, I admit, has some good tunes. I have the first album. But, I don't know, I don't think they ever lived up to their initial hype. And even not so initial hype. Jan Wenner was obviously in love with these guys because during their initial 4-5 albums he was praising them and giving them coverage like he was their cheerleader. I'm not sure why. Rolling Stone just gushed over them and I never understood it. Steve Albini said some fairly treacherous things about The Strokes, but I won't go there, because I do respect the musical choices of Mr. Bud White.

I like Kings of Leon better, who are kind of like Lynyrd Skynyrd's son meets the Strokes. But I think Caleb Followil has a cool lead singer voice. It's got a vocal grittiness he and his band in no way deserve.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident