Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

Hear, hear!

2. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

3. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. Dammit. I never pictured that Prince could possibly die so young. I mean besides his hips, his heart, lungs and muscles must have been in tremendous shape. Even if the doctors had said, "Never dance again," you don't need to dance in the studio. He could have had albums into his 80s, or even 90s!

That's the saddest part to me. He took a drug that would have killed even a healthy elephant. He could have just stood there on stage and he would have still been electric.

Boy, the guy sure could radiate a smile.

zebop, MikaelaArsenault and George P like this.
  6. Andrew Nyhus

Andrew Nyhus Well-Known Member

Wearing a purple golf shirt and playing 1999 and Purple Rain at the store today in honor of Prince. :(

Mal, MikaelaArsenault and EVOLVIST like this.
  7. djej

djej Forum Resident

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but for the most part... that wasn't Prince. It was all or nothing.

sekaer likes this.
  8. Yeah, but if you came up to Prince and said, "Okay, if you dance again you'll die sometime in the next 5 years, but if you quit dancing you'll live to be 97." Do you really think he would take the 5 years over the 40 more years of life?

9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Thanks for the link! The last time I listened to their stream online was this time last year when it was just announced he passed and were playing all Prince tunes. They pick some great cuts to play

10. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

An hour of B-sides right now. Some of his best stuff.

11. willmatic

willmatic Forum Resident

R.I.P. Prince

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

13. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

right now on Dutch radio (kx 3fm) there is the Purple 100, as voted by Dutch fans (including myself :) )

14. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

I could write a letter ... but who would I send it to ?

15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It's been great so far, songs picked according to different themes, lot's of deep cuts mixed in with the hits and stuff from almost every album, for example they've played several songs from "The Black Album" and even one from The Truth ("Comeback", fittingly), as well as obscurities like ”F.U.N.K.” and the 2013 remake of "Let's Go Crazy” (I missed those). Right now The Revolution are in the studio picking songs. :thumbsup:

If I know the Dutch "Sometimes It Snows In April" will figure high on the list.:) What did you vote for?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    MikaelaArsenault and Freek999 like this.
  16. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

these were my choices. you could choose from a list they had pre-selected. otherwise Computer Blue surely would have been there and Comeback and........... :)
    • Prince - 1999
    • Prince - The Beautiful Ones
    • Prince - Shockadelica
    • Prince - Lavaux
    • Prince - Forever In My Life
    • Prince - D.M.S.R.
    • Prince - Cindy C.
    • Prince - Head
    • Prince - Dirty Mind
    • Prince - Girls And Boys
    • Prince - Let's Pretend We're Married
    • Prince - If I Was Your Girlfriend
    • Prince - Paisley Park
    • Prince - Dolphin
    • Prince - Rockhard In A Funky Place
    • Prince - Another Lonely Christmas
    • Prince - Empty Room
    • Prince - Delirious
    • Prince - Endorphinemachine
    • Prince - Baltimore

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Which members?

18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

All of them, but it's over now, they picked songs and shared some memories for an hour. They are at Paisley Park for the Celebration that's going on there (and the show is broadcasting from nearby).

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

It is? Darn, can't believe that I just missed it.

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Maybe they'll re-run it later, they'll be playing Prince all weekend it seems. It was cool hearing some of their thoughts on and personal relations to songs. They actually mostly picked pre-Revolution songs, and talked about what they thought of those songs when they first heard them or first played them, etc.

21. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

After mulling over whether or not I should, I gave the "Deliverance" ep a spin today. It was weird... I loved every minute of it. It was that thing we've been spoiled with for decades now: new Prince music. "He's still got it!" I could say to myself...

And pretend...

zen archer likes this.
  22. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

"Deliverance" (the song) is back up for sale (in mp3 and FLAC), but the EP's release is still blocked by a restraining order.

23. djej

djej Forum Resident

The EP was on Tidal this morning around 8 AM EST to stream. Doesn't appear to be there now, though. It's still on my offline content. Not sure when that will go away if it remains to be blocked.

24. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

He may just have played runs, but I love his playing--it's always interesting and then, you know, the whole showmanship thing

25. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I'm gorging on the horde I downloaded that first week, it was like an explosion of material--glad to have it, still sad