Why didn't Paul write and record with George after 1970?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mister President, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Did Paul and George ever wrote a song together during their time with the Beatles?
    'In Spite Of All The Danger' is credited to them but I read somewhere that they actually didn't write it together.

Seltarb likes this.
  2. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Most people I know that are not crazy or very knowledgeable Beatles fans are more interested about George as a person and musician, compared to the Beatles, John or Paul. May be the reason is that the Beatles, John and Paul are perceived as a very popular ancient acts (something monumental but dead, that everyone admire and admits the greatness, but no one is really interested to listen). George, despite of his few big mainstream successes, managed to be still popular (as an ex-Beatle), but somehow is perceived as more "underground" and obscure, hence - more interesting and more appealing to the younger audience and to the people that don't like overly popular and weary oldie music. (Yes, McCartney is very much alive and active, and release all kinds of new interesting music, but for the majority of people he's that ancient Beatle, singing Yesterday, Let it be and Hey Jude, or the one that made super commercial 80's style duets with Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder - a very respected, successful and popular historical person).

Maidenpriest likes this.
  3. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

It was a shame they couldn't work together, but so much happened and continued to happen.
    They were completely different in so many ways, I concur with so much that has been said prior.
    Especially Arnold, who more or less nailed it.

4. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I think it's basically a Paul song, Paul gave him credit for the guitar solo.

tteal, maywitch, vmajewsk and 4 others like this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I doubt many lawyers would have taken that case on a contingency basis as no significant $ were involved at the time. How much do you think that album sold?

Probably made significantly more revenue as part of more recent studio CD and forthcoming (or is it out) LP box sets. Though that is really an accounting fiction as the boxes would have sold about as well with ES omitted.

6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

If I was Bernie Krause I would be glad my name was removed. :laugh:

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Perhaps there's a level of art there that completely escapes me. But to me, plagiarizing that material is like plagiarizing finger painting ... a unnecessary step when you can just take 10 minutes and make a finger painting of your own.

8. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

yeah, that's a good point. and the complications of suing could have given Krause pause. something still seems odd about his account though.

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

George used brushes too: ;)

[​IMG]

theMess, waterface and RayS like this.
  10. Haristar

He could have played it backwards and no one would ever notice. :whistle:;)

theMess and RayS like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Maybe he did... ;)

theMess and Haristar like this.
  12. Arnold Grove

If you play the Electronic Sound LP backward, it says: "Turn Me On Bernie Krause; Turn Me On Bernie Krause; ... " ;)

theMess and Haristar like this.
  13. Haristar

At the end it says "Barbecue sauce" which some people hear as "I buried Krause".

keyXVII, theMess, utopiarun and 2 others like this.
  14. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Because George did his own thing all through the Beatles career, he more or less learned to do things without Paul's involvement. The whole Lennon/McCartney thing was an entity of it's own. When John died, I think Paul went into kind of a tailspin and eventually jockeyed himself into a control figure. His ego was more or less in check when John was alive.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  15. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

And if you put a bit of fluff on the stylus you can hear: 'Chiffons...Chiffons...Chiffons...'

theMess likes this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm not sure what notable distinction you see between enjoying a film and "quite liking" it. Seems about the same to me. His overall tone regarding McCartney in that clip is not one of bitterness or contempt at all. It seems a bit of a reach to read any kind of deep meaning into a casually tossed-off, snarky joke from a guy who tended to be pretty snarky and sarcastic about just about everything. I doubt McCartney took it seriously... I can't imagine he's as defensive as many of his fans seem to be on his behalf.

17. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

That's a pretty fair take on it. I don't know I ever heard any indication that Paul was offended by George in that respect.

Having said that it's pretty clear there were a lot of bad feelings involved when the other three wanted to go with Klein while Paul wanted the Eastmans to take over management. Arguably Paul was right about that (I would say definitely except we really don't know how well the Eastmans would have done), but at the same time him pushing his wife's family did not go over well.

18. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

According to the video, George both "quite liked it" (1:48) and "quite enjoyed it" (2:29).

theMess, Keith V and czeskleba like this.
  19. Haristar

I wonder if Paul enjoyed Shanghai Surprise?

theMess likes this.
  20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

SH.tv Beta Version:

"Like Quite Enjoy +Quote Reply"

theMess likes this.
  21. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

We don't use 'snarky' in England, but I assume you mean something like sarcastic. It sounded sarcastic to me. As for the distinction, you either see it or you don't. I'll take it how you want me to take it, or I won't take it at all. See you down the clubs.

maywitch likes this.
  22. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

And did he only see it once?

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, I guess I'll just get Eric to post with me on this thread in your place. He's not such a headache.

Anyway, "Snarky" means something along the lines of sarcastic, bitchy, irreverent. I'm presuming you see "I quite liked it" as less positive then "I enjoyed it," but I disagree. And as Carrot noted, Harrison used the phrase "I quite enjoyed it" in the second interview on that clip, so he apparently didn't see much of a distinction between those phrases himself.

24. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

Again, if you're English, as George was, 'quite liked it' is more 'meh' than 'really liked it'. [There are so many instances where English/American misunderstandings stem from that very phrase.] As for Eric, whoever he is, I'm quite happy about him.

25. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I think snarky is not quite the same as sarcastic. It implies that what is being said borders on being too much, without necessarily crossing the line. Something short of snide. Sarcasm can by comparison be entirely appropriate depending.

Paulwalrus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.