New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Or The Jam?

xfilian likes this.
  2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I always hated the way the clocks in "Time" just recycled and cleaned up the clocks at the end of "Bike"... should have done something more original...

Same as it ever was.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  3. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

You're right about that, but WDYWFM sounded a lot like Have A cigar, so there you go.

4. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

"Don't you know you couldn't get much higher" - okay, after "funeral pyre", I'm THINKING that was intentional. XD

Zack likes this.
  5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

And how would you denote a ticking bomb, about to go off? So the listener knows that's what's happening?

Rhetorical question as I think it works just fine.

6. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

One slip and down the hole we fall... ;)

7. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

8. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Frank Zappa used to call it "conceptual continuity" and it was seen as brilliant. Waters' output is also one big work as far as I'm concerned, and I seem to remember reading somewhere he feels the same way.

Hymie the Robot and Vaughan like this.
  9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Hence the wink.

10. ScaramangaFran

ScaramangaFran Forum Resident

I really enjoy this new track. What a great way to start the weekend. I dont mind the references to older tracks.

Zeki likes this.
  11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Clearly my sarcasm was poorly worded. :laugh:

rontoon likes this.
  12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Oh! :D

lucan_g likes this.
  13. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Geez, more Roger deep navel gazing, prattling on about world stuff.
    Where is the strippers, the auto tune, the guest verse from Young Thug?
    This ain't gonna sell jack unless Roger spends some serious time with Ryan Seacrest.

That's what you all really wanted, right?

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You said it all here. Couldn't agree more. I guess I've never understood some of the anger directed at Roger. At worst the end of Floyd was the fault of all. Regardless, I think they had ruin their course. Water's music is so damn good, I don't much mind what name is pasted on the spine.

Sytze, dtuck90 and Zeki like this.
  15. Zack

Zack Senior Member

I love it! Best thing from old Rog since I was in college, which was before 1992, if you get my drift. Good for him: that's HIS friggin' cigar and those are HIS dogs anyway. Dave made pots of gold doing the same thing for eons (in the former case with the very same song). And good on Roger for telling his guitarist, "Play like Syd Barrett." No . . . wait.

xfilian, dtuck90 and Zeki like this.
  16. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

It was more to make a point between David's Floyd and Roger having a strange lyrical connection

17. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Not much of a fan of Smell The Roses.......it is very very generic sounding, doesn't seem much of a tune, lyrically predictable......let's hope the rest of the album is more interesting.....

tim185, J_D__ and rontoon like this.
  18. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

Amazing.

And I love Roger trashing his crappy Woodstock generation peers with The Doors quote at the end, haha.

Roger had always set out on a different course from the Woodstock crowd. With Pompeii, he wanted to make an "anti-woodstock" film.

It's the reason why he will forever be better than Neil Young, CSN, The Grateful Dead, and the rest of the dated hippies. He was writing about real ****. His only peer is Bob Dylan and Radiohead.

HumanMedia likes this.
  19. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident

My best guess would be all. Hopefully fallowing "Amused to Death." Hopefully he follows the footsteps of David Gilmour and Steven Wilson...to name two. I would love a Blu-Ray with 24bit 96khz 2 channel and especially a 5.1 mix! Looks like the making of this record was also documented, so hoping that makes it to the Blu-Rau as well. Cheers!

20. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Thanks, so far only standard CD is listed on Amazon.

21. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

No blu-spec CD?

LEONPROFF likes this.
  22. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

Well, apart from the fact that it's motivated by political concerns which is, of course, just what Roger said it would be, you have a pretty good instinct if you knew that a song called "Smell the Roses" was about a bomb factory and would end with an offhand quote of Light My Fire!

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D Uncanny!

24. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident

A saw that as well. With the time and effort spent on this album I can't see them not releasing a deluxe package and/or box set with vinyl, Blu, CD Digital D, Hi-Rez 2 & 5.1 mixes.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  25. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

A new album by Roger Waters........I wonder if there will be any traces of antagonism, sarcasm, resentment towards government, cynicism, or nihilism. Nah, probably not.

Retrovertigo, LarryP and pinkrudy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.