Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Did Oppo send you an email indicating that your 205 had shipped? Just curious as I haven't heard anything yet.

2. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

They did, along with a FedEx Tracking number.

Bill Mac likes this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

4. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

No problem. Sorry yours is delayed :(

5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Was OPPO even a company back when Onkyo released the Integra DPS 9.1, which I bought when it was new? Looks just like OPPO's latest models, in my opinion. I'm sure what's "inside" of the new OPPO will run circles around that old Integra!

Integra DPS-9.1 THX Ultra DVD Video Audio Player w Remote & Manual Excellent | eBay

6. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

but, but... Mediatek chip. Seriously, it is strange that Oppo cannot , or does not want, to get this working.

7. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

Some time ago their was this, "wait until you see the rear". But what is there to get excited about? Looks pretty similar to the 105.

8. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Forum Resident

Im in the market for a good CD/SACD player. Was eyeing on a Marantz SA8005. Would this be a better buy than the marantz?

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If you don't have any desire to play DVD-As or Blu-ray Audio discs then the SA8005 might be the better choice.

bradleyc likes this.
  10. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Forum Resident

Thanks!

11. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Wondering if the 205 still has a variable volume analog output so that it can be plugged directly to an amp with no preamp?

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The 205 still has a variable volume control so it can be plugged directly into an amp.

13. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Thank you Bill. I am not well versed in the details as I am mainly a vinyl guy; could you please tell me if there is any advantage of the 105(D) over the 205 (I would only be interested in playing SACD, CD, possibly Bluray, and hi-res) will you be keeping your 105?

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My pleasure :)! I ordered the 205 on Wednesday but cancelled the order today. I decided to see how the reviews are especially from those with the 105/105D. I don't have a 4k display and probably won't for a year or two. If I eventually do get the 205 I'll probably sell the 105D.

FashionBoy and ti-triodes like this.
  15. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

shipped

Bill Mac likes this.
  16. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Has anyone opened theirs up yet? Mine is waiting for me when I get home from work.

Al Kuenster and Bill Mac like this.
  17. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

Re the HDMI jitter circuitry. As you guys alluded to, there is the probability of interaction with whatever processor you're going to use it with. It's recommended to bypass any processing your receiver/pre does. That includes room correction like Audyssey and the like as well as tone controls. The jitter reduction may make a big difference in your system or it may not and has the possibility of making it sound worse.
    It was also specifically designed to not interact with any video processing so it will never be added to HDMI 1 with a future FW upgrade.

Bill Mac likes this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I cancelled my order so that I could sit back and read some user reviews of how well the 205's HDMI (Audio Only) output performs. I'll probably get one in the future but for now just sit back and see what 205 owners have to say.

Linger63 likes this.
  19. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Well I can't speak for HDMI audio out, but I will say that DSD over analog-out is the way to go. And it's pretty significant. I lose channel balance and timing but ah well. PCM is sibilant and bright. Bass is also much deeper with DSD enabled.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've done countless comparisons of DSD to PCM with the 105D and the Emotiva XMC-1. With stereo SACDs analog was used for DSD and with PCM HDMI (Dirac enabled) was used. In my room my preference is PCM with Dirac being the biggest difference. With Dirac enabled the SQ of stereo music has more clarity with a better separation of instruments. This comparison is a bit of a challenge as one has to go into the Oppo menu to go from DSD to PCM.

I've also done numerous comparisons of DSD and PCM using the balanced outputs with the Reference Stereo mode of the XMC-1. In all honesty I do not notice any obvious differences between DSD and PCM. So my latest comparisons have been analog to HDMI with just PCM and once again my preference is HDMI with Dirac enabled. As with earlier comparisons Dirac is the biggest difference as it removes the "congestion" of the music. I don't fine more bass with DSD but that the bass is much more accurate with PCM and Dirac.

For multichannel music the clear choice is HDMI for all disc formats including SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray Audio. I've tried multichannel SACDs with DSD using the 5.1 analog in past processors and it just didn't sound as good as PCM with HDMI to take advantage of the processors bass management and room correction. I've also tried DSD with HDMI to the XMC-1 but didn't find that sounded nearly as good when Dirac was enabled. With the XMC-1 when a direct DSD signal is input all processing is bypassed.

Of course these are just my preferences in my room and in no way am I saying that they are the "right" ones. Different systems, rooms and preferences in how one likes music to sound can lead to totally different preferences than mine.

21. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

A few questions...

I am not too knowledgeable about using these OPPOs as a music server interface. I have a mac mini w/external hdd as a server feeding a USB DAC to my stereo and use the Apple Remote app. Its been great but its getting long in the tooth (purchase in 2009). I also have a newer Mac in another room with all my music as well. I also have an older Oppo BDP 91 that is about ready for replacement. So....

1) Will this OPPO 205 work well as a music server if I plug an external HDD into it?
    2) Is the Oppo app any good for controlling it remotely?
    3) Or can I feed my newer Mac to it via ethernet?
    4) Can I use the Apple Remote for this control?

All my files are 44.1 ripped from cds. Not really into SACD ripping.
    5) Is Oppo gapless for 44.1 apple lossless files?

22. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

I was going to order a 205 as my first oppo, but as I dont have a 4k display yet I managed to snag a used 105D for £675. Will be interested in how the 205 matures by the time I think about getting a 4k display!

23. Audiocarver

Audiocarver Member

Bob's post of the technical write up of the new processor is great.

However, it does not mention the audio performance of the UDP-205 while playing 4k Dolby Vision video content. After all, some of us have 4k Dolby Vision televisions and we are waiting for a quality 4k Dolby Vision blue ray player!

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

1) It will work, but there are better options
    2) Decent
    3) It can access files on your Mac via SMB support, but this can sometimes be challenging.
    4) No
    5) No

In my experience, if you want to take advantage of the audio performance of the '105/205, you should consider something like Plex, with a client like RasPlex, fed via HDMI (or even optical/coax if you don't care about videos) into the rear of the '205. You can control this with a phone/tablet app, it will be way more robust and user friendly than trying to use the native DLNA support of the OPPOs.

Total cost should be <$50, for a Raspberry Pi running RasPlex, as I think the free version of Plex should support this just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.