Tannoy Revolution XT 6F or Tannoy Revolution XT 8F

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chuck, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck

Chuck Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm thinking about purchasing a new pair of speakers. Does anybody have any experience with or any thoughts about these speakers. I've owned a pair of the smaller Tannoy Revolution Signature DC 6Ts for a couple of years and I really love them. Unfortunately, it's next to impossible to find a showroom where I can actually audition these larger speakers. Based on my experience with the smaller Tannoys, I'm tempted to purchase these larger speakers without actually hearing them!

2. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I think both are well reviewed (and probably very similar) but the 8F are bigger and go down a bit deeper. It probably boils down to the size of your room as much as anything else, since the 8F might be a bit overkill in a smaller room.

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Since it's not my money, buy 'em! Hell, get Canterburies. Enjoy.

Helom likes this.
  4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Room size matters. I'd get a pair of small, but accurate and powerful subs, keeping the 6T that you have. That will effectively create a bi-amped system where the bass response and output can be tuned to room room more precisely without other drawbacks.
    -Bill

5. Matthew Smith

Matthew Smith New Member

I had an older pair of the DC6T in the dark wood finish, and after a room change I looked at both of these last year & settled on the XT 6F.

I wanted the lighter finish, but comparing them sonically there is not a huge change between the DC6T and the XT6F. I know the reviews bang on about how amazing they are, but in my opinion with 50 year old ears they maybe sound a touch better, but no huge upgrade.

However, the XT8F sounded immense in comparison, so much more solidity to the bass & overall presence - I simply had no space to accommodate these in my living room (they are quite a bit larger & more imposing in real life). I would have had the XT8F in a heartbeat if I could have squeezed them in past the watchful gaze of the wife.

I did add in a 12" sub to kind of make up for it, but we only have that in use with TV / Films - for music we just use the normal 2 speaker setup.

Matt

6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

This really comes down to room size.....in a small'ish sized room, the 8F's can (and likely will) overload the room. They really need a bit room to breath.

Both are great speakers.....for what it's worth, I just had a good customer that purchased a pair of 6F's from me last year, swap up to a pair of preowned 8F's I had just traded for. He liked them both (a lot), but in his fairly large/open living room & kitchen combo, he LOVES the 8F's.

Ivand likes this.
  7. GoldprintAudio

What would you be powering these with?

8. Chuck

Chuck Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great comments. Let me give you some more information so you might be able to better tune your advice:

The room is 10' wide X 15' long X 8' high with the speakers at the shorter 10' wall.

I have a separate room/system that I use for stereo CDs and vinyl, so the room containing this system supports home theater and the playing surround sound SACDs.

My current system includes: the Revolution Signature DC6s as the front speakers in my surround sound system (supported by a single REL Serie T9 Subwoofer [10" active driver and passive radiator], a Tannoy Signature DC6 LCR as the center channel, and a couple of no-name speakers as the surrounds.

My new system would have the XT6Fs or XT8Fs as the front speakers, the DC6 LCR as the center channel, and the DC6s as the surrounds. Since I've read that the XTs have a boost in the upper and mid bass (and if this is true), I was thinking of using some foam to to plug up the bottom ports of the XT and change the crossover of the REL to provide better controlled for the bottom end.

My AMP is an older 130W per channel Denon AVR-4306 (circa 2006) which I like and seems to work just fine.

Maybe getting another REL subwoofer for the Signature DC6s, and either Eclipse Minis, Eclipse Ones, or Revolution XT Minis for the surrounds might be the most economical way to go! What do you think?

9. Matthew Smith

Matthew Smith New Member

Ok - your room is a very similar size to mine - I would say that your room (like mine) would be totally dominated by the XT8F. I also block the bass port on the XT6F with a micro fibre cloth bundled up & stuffed in the rear bass port as I am limited in positioning & have to have the speakers quite close to the wall (only about 6 inches away).

DC6 as surrounds feels a bit like overkill (I use a tiny pair of DC4 for mine).

As you have the sub in place allready, I think you would like them, but be aware that the performance is an evolutionary step up from the DC6 rather than a revolution.

Matt

10. stonecold

stonecold Forum Resident

You mention plugs for the bottom ports. There is some kind of material already packed into the bottom of that speaker as I have a pair XT8Fs. The speaker is not hollow down there. I get that boosted bass in my 15x8 room that opens to a dining room on one end and an open concept entryway near the other end. Speakers are on the longer wall. I got these to replace a pair of Monitor Audio RX6s. Huge difference in bass obviously. What sounded thin on the RX6s sounds awesome on the XT8Fs, but what sounded really full on the RX6s is now unlistenable on the XT8Fs. Its the room in my case. Really dont want to have to dump these or set up a fourth media room to listen to material overpowered by these speakers. Good luck with your choice.

11. Matthew Smith

Matthew Smith New Member

Yeh, I know what you mean - there is some packing inside the speaker cavity, but what I mean is the round hole on the back of the speaker that acts as a 'bass port'.

If you plug that port with a piece of foam (or stuff it with a micro fibre cloth like I did) it restrains the bass response a bit, and if the speakers are placed too close to the wall then it helps to reduce boominess.

If you are finding the bass a bit heavy on the XT8F (I did this on the XT6F), try stuffing the port & it will tighten the bass up a touch, you might prefer it that way. It's a 2 minute thing to try & can be reversed just as quick if you are not happy.

Matt

Rayzilla88 likes this.
  12. GoldprintAudio

Good advice above..... in that size room, I would for sure lean towards the 6F's. I think you would likely find the 8's to be a little overpowering.

13. stonecold

stonecold Forum Resident

14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Get a set of the XT Mini and another Rel Sub.
    -Bill

15. Matthew Smith

Matthew Smith New Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  16. stonecold

stonecold Forum Resident

Right..sorry guess I was splitting hairs ;)

17. Auksjonariussen

Auksjonariussen New Member

Old thread, I know. But I'm thinking about changing my old Tannoy Sixes(613)for the XT6 or XT8.
    Can I use my Yamaha RX-V767 to power these speakers? Both?
    My room is 7x6,50 meters plus an open kitchen and an open hall in the back.
    Big ones or small ones? With the Yamaha.

18. Auksjonariussen

Auksjonariussen New Member

A quiet place

19. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

Are there any "standards" for room size? For instance, looks like op's room (10x15/8) would be considered small. At what point do we call a room medium, and large. This would help me in deciding on my next speakers. Thanks,

20. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

I found the XT8Fs could be a little boomy in my room so I added a plug to the bass port. I estimate it dropped the bass by 3db. I purchased a foam football, cut the ends off, removed the tips, trimmed to length and covered it with a sock. The plug fits quite snug and blocks the port without looking like a complete mess. You need to get the length just right because removing the plug if it is too long can be quite an ordeal. I decided to leave enough material on the back so that I could rotate the plug around and have something to grip if I wanted to remove the plug.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ignominious likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.