Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If anyone wants the two Bob Wills sets for $80 each, call Stereo Jacks in Cambridge Mass. He has them, plus the Louvin Bros and Marvin Rainwater. Excellent prices. They were there one hour ago. He is open Sunday too

GodBlessTinyTim and Mr. H like this.
  2. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Largely agreed. To me, my records and player are like a classic car: I'll be sure take it out for a spin on weekends, but it's not for everyday use. With some of those RWA vinyl releases like Frankie Miller and Billy Mize, I suppose there's so little material that a CD version would be considered preposterously short.

3. Howstean

Howstean Well-Known Member

Svein, is the George Jones on this THE George Jones ? I believe I read somewhere it wasn't.

Thanks
    howstean

4. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Here is the site i found out this:Read update for april 15:
    JIM REEVES FAN CLUB WEBSITE
    :tiphat:

5. Svein Arne

Here is a short cd made by Bear Family.But with stars like these on the cd people will buy it anyway:
    Various Artists - 5000 Miles Away From Home, Nashville Stars in Germany, 1957 - Amazon.com Music

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Is that Larry Jordan? I would not consider dealing with that offensive bootlegger

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Unfortunately, I learned that Jack does not ship box sets. Walk-ins only.

8. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

That's the same situation with their release many years ago of THE NASHVILLE ALL-STARS "Live After The Riot At Newport". This was a RCA lp from 1960 with Chet Atkins, Hank Garland, Floyd Cramer, Gary Burton, and a couple others. It's a fun cd. Short, but fun.

9. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

That's too bad. That price for the 2 Bob Wills set is worth driving to Boston for. Great sets.

10. Svein Arne

This is not Larry Jordans site.:disgust:
    It is Arie Den Dulk from Holland.
    He has been helping Bear Family on every release with Jim Reeves.Look more on the site many interesting things to read about.

:righton:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    melstapler likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Boston may be the number one Bear Family town in the USA. That seems strange in a way, but I am pretty sure it is true. Definitely much more here over many years than in New York. I have definitely seen way more BF for sale here (used and new) than I ever saw in Nashville

melstapler and Lucretius like this.
  12. GodBlessTinyTim

I believe the shortest CD Bear Family ever issued was Tommy Hill - Get Ready Baby -- Ten previously-unreleased songs totalling less than 19 minutes. Very much worth tracking down, but it's too bad they didn't include the other twenty-odd songs Hill recorded in the 50's.

Svein Arne, melstapler and The Killer like this.
  13. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Sounds great, just snapped up a copy for less than £4, thanks!

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  14. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Quite a line up of musicians on the Tommy Hill CD:

Kenny Hill (sorry don't know...)
    D J Fontana
    Hank Garland
    Leo Jackson
    Floyd Cramer
    Ace Cannon

Here's Leo Jackson doing his thang...

15. Svein Arne

This is in norway

Kkfan and melstapler like this.
  16. Svein Arne

Plus interview.

melstapler likes this.
  17. GodBlessTinyTim

Just won an auction for A Shot in the Dark: Tennessee Jive - Country Music on Nashville's Independent Labels, 1945-1955. Cost me nearly twice as much as an in-print box of similar size, but I only slightly exceeded the amount I promised myself not to exceed. I'm just elated to have finally tracked down a copy. Early Leon Payne, Lattie Moore's landmark "Juke Joint Boogie", the million-selling "Down Yonder" by female country-rag pianist Del Wood, and so many other rare gems.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Congratulations. Go make an expensive reservation at a 5 star resort hotel, and then cancel it the next day. Sleep in your own bed and enjoy that purchase as a completely free gift from the God of Rationalizing Your Passions. If the hotel room cost even more than the box set, go out and buy even more music, free of charge.

19. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Great. That's about at the top of my list for BF things to get but can't afford it now. I did get the sister R&B volume a couple years ago when it became available again for a short period. I got it through Ernie B's so it was a good price too.

Happy listening! Turn it up loud.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  20. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

thanks for the tip, but no luck

21. Svein Arne

Will there be a record/vinyl released with all the 70s recordings complete by George Strait?
    This one is from the 70s.

:cheers::tiphat:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  22. GodBlessTinyTim

That would make for an interesting release. His four first singles with the Ace in the Hole Band are included Bear Family's The Complete D Singles Collection Volume 6, and it's the only place you can find most of them.

melstapler and Svein Arne like this.
  23. Svein Arne

2 songs are released for the first time on that cd set.Would be a great 10 inch LP with many pictures in it.
    Ace In The Hole vocal George Strait - Honky Tonk Downstairs

melstapler likes this.
  24. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I had thought that 48 tracks might maybe be a little more than I really needed by Jimmy Work, the writer of 'Making Believe' and 'Tennessee Border', but I'm finding his Bear Family 2CD to be a great listen - well worth tracking down
    Making Believe (2-CD) | Bear Family Records

25. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.