Radio Shack store closing discounts

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by SimonSaysCake, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimonSaysCake

SimonSaysCake Senior Member Thread Starter

This is music related.

Our Radio Shack is one of the many that are closing in the face of their second bankruptcy. Prices 30-60% off.

I noticed they had new 90 minute Maxcell blank cassette tapes $1.50 each. Lots of headphones on sale. Also audio cables and connectors.

Post your finds here.

-s1m0n-

2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Yeah thought there was already a Thread going...

Probably check out some cables while they are still open!

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Here's how these store closings work:

Merchandise in all stores is sold, in place, to a third party liquidation firm (this has already happened).

The liquidation firm is well funded and has this down to a science. They are not desperate and they are there to eek every penny they can out of the carcass.

The liquidator will usually bring in merchandise that never sold in the stores before. They may also remove high value easily salable merchandise before the sale, or before the discounts become large.

All merchandise will be marked up to full retail. Everything--including stuff that NEVER sold at full retail in the past.

Then they "mark down" everything in the store from X to Y%. Initially the values will be something like 10-30 or 10-40%. The higher value will be for specific types of less desirable merchandise that NEVER sells for anything close to full retail. The lower number will apply to desirable merchandise.

Each week or so, they will increase the discounts. But by the time the discounts are substantial and offer a real deal, little of value will be left.

The suckers will flock in on the first days of the sale and buy stuff for more than it sold for before the store closing started. You should not be be a sucker.

4. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

I've been to at least 2 RS stores that eventually closed down and in both instances, I was expecting a substantial discount on everything on the last day. This was not the case with those 2 stores (unless they were marked down further in the last hour they were in business). I was eyeing a universal AC adapter for a few days but the most it went down was about 50%. I still got it because I needed it.

I was lucky enough to get some alligator clips and stereo mini plugs at 90% off about a week before the last day. I will miss Radio Shack for small items like that.

JohnBeas and longdist01 like this.
  5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

The one near me is already closed, when I went in a week ahead they'd dropped stuff to between 30-80% off of their list price, which is just about where they would have to be to match online prices for little junk. I asked if they were going down any more and they said that's it, everything left will get trucked out.

6. SimonSaysCake

SimonSaysCake Senior Member Thread Starter

Adam, I think you probably nailed it. Not that aren't still some good deals in store here and there - I was happy with the few items I picked up - but I was surprised at how much stuff was still "left". This store has had the going out of biz sign up for weeks now. I'll probably check back in one more time near the "end".

-s1m0n-

AdamChanSiuLung likes this.
  7. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

You just also accurately described the "going out of business" sales at FYE a few years back.

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Damn, it's such a tragedy that it's not only a sham for the shoppers, but it's a proven successful business model.

"My brother lost his small local shop because of the big-box-store business, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It's only a sham and successful if you allow yourself to fall prey to it.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Right. This is the way just about EVERY significant store closing is carried out now. And it is the same handful of outfits who run all of them, outfits like Tiger Capital, Hilco, and Gordon Brothers. These liquidation firms are unpleasant and ruthless--but they pay cash.

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, I did bring home a Whirlpool electric dryer home from HH Gregg a couple weeks ago...still convinced I got a good deal on it...

12. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Went by the other RS in my area that hasn't closed yet (and wasn't supposed to but that changed I guess), they had markdowns up to 70%. Picked up a 100ft. roll of 2-conductor 18-gauge brown speaker wire for $8.10, and two six-foot dual RCA stereo audio cables for $7.92.

Had a nice conversation with the owner who has been with RS for 37 years.

longdist01, azjvm05 and black sheriff like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.