‘Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim’ Expanded 50th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Feb 22, 2017.

1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

iTunes is also selling the 2009 digital version of this album. I need a good digital copy, and it's only $8 there. Is the 2009 version good or terrible?

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

I believe it's sourced from the UMG CD (same as the 1998 Reprise EOTC version), which is available uncompressed for not much more. Amazon links in post #281.

CBackley likes this.
  3. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Thanks! Is there a way to verify whether this is the same source as the 1998 EOTC version? If it is, I'll buy it right away. I need a good digital version. All I have is the Concord expanded set.

I listened to my mono original pressing today. It showed up in the mail yesterday. Holy cow! It was SUBLIME.

4. Bob F

I only know that all of the ex-Reprise Sinatra albums on iTunes which are not Mastered for iTunes (which this is not) are derived from the UMG CDs, and those in turn are nearly all digital duplicates of the earlier 1986-98 Reprise CDs (EOTC versions where applicable) except for occasional missing bonus tracks.

5. Bob F

These are the US Apple and Amazon links...

Apple Music:

℗ 2009: Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
    ℗ 2010: Sinatra/Jobim: The Complete Reprise Recordings
    ℗ 2017: Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim (50th Anniversary Edition)

iTunes Store:

℗ 2017: Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim (50th Anniversary Edition)

Amazon MP3:

CBackley likes this.
  6. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I can confirm that the 180 g anniversary vinyl has the new mix, complete with ching-chings and vocal overload on "Ipanema". It somehow lacks the subtlety this album is so famous for. I think it also has some NR, apparent when massed strings come in.

7. Bob F

Beaneydave and MLutthans like this.
  8. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

How does it compare to the KG mastered Rhino?

9. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

:shake:

10. Bob, the Frank Sinatra Estate should seriously be paying you big money for all of your input on websites like this. You're more enthusiastic than his own daughters. I, for one, am grateful for all of your knowledge. Thanks!

Squad 701, mikrt17, ggjjr and 5 others like this.
  11. Bob F

My pleasure, but @Matt Lutthans is the one they should be paying.

12. jerseypaul

jerseypaul Forum Resident

If only money was spent on a competent recording engineer.

Chris C and MarkusGermany like this.
  13. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Just played Side 1 of the Kevin Gray mastered LP. What a beauty! Probably the best string tone of all editions I've heard. But I must say my two 1980s pressings are close contenders (I'd give the nod to the Specialty pressing). There seems to be a little more compression on Frank's voice, but it really blends gently into the mix. I also like the Mono, but I am not convinced that my pressing stems from a dedicated mix. The german 180 g pressing from 2004 which I played immediately after the KG pressing sounds very similar, but with a slight touch of glare - I could be wrong, but I think it was mastered from a digital copy of the safety Kevin Gray used to cut the Rhino LP.

14. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Looking at the covers side-by-side reveals that the "50th Anniversary" cover is an abysmal job - at least for an overhyped release like this one. The photograph on the back looks like a copy of a copy of the original. The Rhino LP has the original cover.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  15. The times I've said exactly that. I could have made a killing too!

McLover likes this.
  16. My blue vinyl copy has just arrived and I was looking forward to hearing it but after reading so much negative comment here, I think I might just drop it in the bin on the way out. :shake:

Beaneydave likes this.
  17. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Snap! Mines just arrived too. No download with it which is a shame as we miss the bonus tracks but boy is it Blue alright!
    Gonna play it now.

Peace and love✌

SteveM likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Play it and enjoy it.

19. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Well it sounds nice to me the vinyl is very quite and flat and sounds nice. There's nothing on the cover , not even a sticker , to tell you it's blue vinyl or limited and it's nice to sit & read Mr Cornyn's notes again..

Peace and love✌

Daveymoore, SteveM and Bob F like this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

He was a great writer, puts you right there in the studio!

paulmock and Beaneydave like this.
  21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

"Underwood". How did Mr. S come up with these nicknames for people?

22. Steve Hoffman

Probably had his portable Underwood typewriter with him at all times.

23. I'd go one step further than that: on Steve's advice I, of course, resisted the temptation to throw it and played it through last night. On my system it sounds incredible, full of subtle nuances and detail I hadn't picked up from playing the 1998 digital remaster of the remix (via the 2010 reissue) but crucially to my ears, it has a depth and richness the CD appears to lack slightly. It doesn't sound remotely hard, aggressive or compressed to my untrained ears. I really like the new LP and it will be my go-to copy from now on. The mix is more centred but again, I have no issue with that: it's more monophonic that way. ;)

If anyone is on the fence about the new reissue I'd suggest buying it and hearing it for yourself. Let's be honest here, this reissue isn't for people who have grown up with this album for the past 50 years and who may know it inside out. If you are lucky enough to own a clean quiet original pressing then you don't need it and you won't buy it. For the rest of us "kids" who weren't even born when it was originally released this latest version isn't going to strike any of us as offensive or a misjudged revisionist take on the officially signed off original.

As Beaneydave says, the vinyl is dead silent all the way through - in fact no MFSL or Analogue Productions LP's I have can match this record for the absence of noise - it is a sheer pleasure to play an LP through and forget you're not playing a CD. Few used copies will match this and you'll need a mortgage to buy a clean original outside the States too.

I unreservedly recommend it and pat UMe / FSE on the back.

gss, mikrt17, Beaneydave and 3 others like this.
  24. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Thanks SteveM, my blue vinyl arrived yesterday and I played it last night and really enjoyed it. Having read some previous reviews I assumed that I must now be tone deaf!

Beaneydave and SteveM like this.
  25. Hey, if you're tone deaf, then WE need to form a club! ;)

paulmock likes this.