The Waterboys: OUT OF ALL THIS BLUE - New Album due September 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by InStepWithTheStars, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you Thread Starter

I have my previous Waterboys thread, but I thought I'd make a separate one for the new album.

Mike Scott on Twitter
    Mike Scott on Twitter

It's a double album, but initial CD pressings will come with a bonus disc. The album is named after a song that didn't make the final track listing - perhaps we'll get to hear that one on the bonus disc! So far, there's no mention of a possible LP release, although he did mention here that the album proper is 96 minutes long - with concerns for sound quality, this might push an LP release into three discs, but we don't know for sure yet. Steve Wickham, David Hood, and Paul Brown are back on this one - I'm excited.

I'll keep updating this thread with new information as it comes out.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    quicksrt, GodShifter, kellys and 8 others like this.
  2. InStepWithTheStars

Too late to go back and edit, but I did find confirmation that there will be a vinyl release.

Mike Scott on Twitter

3. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Great band, I've been on board the 'Strange Boat' since it first set sail.

PDK and InStepWithTheStars like this.
  4. InStepWithTheStars

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Any tour planned?

6. InStepWithTheStars

They're on tour in the UK and Europe right now, but as far as I'm aware there are no announced US tour dates yet.

mikescottwaterboys.com

Arnold Grove likes this.
  7. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Yes. I'll be seeing them in Amsterdam in November. So I guess that North America is also on the schedule sometime.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Thanks for posting the link. What size crowds do the Waterboys typically get in Europe? In the States, they are a fairly small concert draw, although they of course have their diehard fans.

9. InStepWithTheStars

I don't think a "casual Waterboys fan" exists. They're polarizing in an "apathetic vs obsessive" kind of way, in my experience. I've no idea the crowds they normally draw, but you can watch initially mildly interested Glastonbury festival-goers in 2015 undergo some sort of spiritual transformation in this video. Anyone who can remain unconvinced in the face of Brother Paul's "Long Strange Golden Road" closing solo is not from this planet, I tell ya.

Nick Brook, Crazyhorse11, mds and 7 others like this.
  10. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Here in the Netherlands they attract a theater-sized crowd. When they play here later in the year they're playing a small arena though (AFAS Live, capacity ~5,000 seats). Not sure if that one will sell out though.

11. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

They can still sell out a 3,000-5,000 theatre in the UK. In fact 5,000 is the largest crowd I`ve been in watching The Waterboys (Mossley Folk Festival 2-3 years ago). The smallest crowd was at The Gallery, a club in Manchester (UK) in the early 80`s. It was the first time I`d seen The Waterboys, there were about 250 people there (the place was very full), the band were magnificent. If you get the chance @Arnold Grove, go see them.

12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

But how much gets cut out on the vinyl? Two CDs do not typically fit on two vinyl these days...

13. Arnold Grove

Thanks!

14. InStepWithTheStars

Oh. That's a good point. I can't do math. 16 times 4 is not 96. Unless they want to cram 24 minutes per side - and we all know that the sound quality becomes unlistenable after 7 or 8 minutes :rolleyes: - looks like the LP version will take a hit in terms of content. I'm hoping that Jim DeMain returns for the CD mastering - or, at the very least, that the mastering remains in line with Modern Blues.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  15. Uisce Buachaill

Uisce Buachaill New Member

I created and I am the web author of this fan site... I have posted some new album info
    on the News Page ( courtesy of Mojo)

Home

16. InStepWithTheStars

Love your site! There's a lot of stuff, mostly singles, I wouldn't have learned of if not for your page. Thanks for adding to this thread!

Do you know if the little image to the right of that Mojo article (with Mike's "WOW!" sign) is the album cover, or just a placeholder image?

17. Uisce Buachaill

That pic is from Mikes home.. The 'Wow' sign was a permanent fixture on stage during the Modern Blues Tour..
    I don't think it is Album Art...but who knows? It might be.
    Thanks for your kind words about the site...Most of the band have contributed to it and Mike has tweeted out the link on his personal twitter
    a few times.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  18. Uisce Buachaill

I wrote a piece on Steve's new solo album here.. It features a host of guests including Mike on the 'Stopping by Woods' (Robert Frost) track.

News

19. Uisce Buachaill

I'll probably see Mike this Thursday.. I'll ask him about the vinyl version.

20. Uisce Buachaill

The site is also listed on the official site.. i tried to create something that was not a duplicate of the excellent official site.
    So that is why there are Road Photos pages, Set Lists Page,and the Album & CD singles pages (all of which are my own collection).
    And I'm very grateful to everyone who sent me stuff to add in...It is growing all the time!

21. windfall

windfall Senior Member

They played my pretty small student union hall (St Andrews University, Scotland) on the Fisherman's Blues tour. Unforgettable gig.

22. InStepWithTheStars

I discovered the site a month or so ago when Mike tweeted it out. There's a lot of great stuff I didn't know about. I think I probably started collecting too late for Sunflowers and Lion of Love... I don't know how many of those there are, but whoever has them doesn't want to let them go!

Definitely excited for the new album, at any rate. Apart from the Japanese editions of Weary Land and Modern Blues, is this the first time Mike's put out a standard and deluxe edition of the same album at the same time?

Uisce Buachaill likes this.
  23. Uisce Buachaill

The Book of Lightning album had a wonderful one hour DVD of home movies that was only available
    with the initial release.
    Also worth seeking out are the US versions of Too Close To Heaven album, it was a two CD version in the States and called 'Fisherman's Blues Part Two'
    And the US version of Still Burning by Mike has several extra songs.
    Full details are on the albums page...

Albums

PDK likes this.
  24. InStepWithTheStars

I have all three of those! I don't have the other versions, though - no Book of Lightning standalone CD, no original Still Burning, no Too Close To Heaven. Even though they'd be redundant, I still plan on picking them all up for a thorough collection. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't have the essential Karma To Burn or Secret Life of the Waterboys yet - I've listened to them and I want them very badly, but I haven't had the opportunity to buy them yet. I've got all thirteen studio albums and about ten or eleven more CDs, but my collection is far from complete. All I need is a deep wallet and a lot of patience!

While I have the opportunity to ask, are any of the tracks on the rare Open To Spirit CD different from the versions that can be found on the studio albums and compilations? If there's any CD that probably won't find a place in my collection, it will probably be that one, for obvious reasons. I want to make sure I'm not missing anything exclusive. Judging from the track list, the tracks all appear to be previously released (although "Good News" is presented with an alternate title).

Uisce Buachaill likes this.
  25. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Can't wait for the new one. Modern Blues was a wonderful record and thats a killer band.

kellys and InStepWithTheStars like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.