The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 29, 2013.

1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    $60 garage sale find. Luxman PX-100. Threw a Ortofon RED on it. Fully auto. Plays damn sweet. FYI: You don't need to break the bank. You do need to do a bit of research, so you can recognize an audio gear "Score" when you came across one.

hanzo, GuildX700, Manimal and 11 others like this.
  2. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I really envy you Americans, with your 'Thrift Stores" and "Garage Sales" - you seem to get some real gems at bargain prices.

Here in the UK we have "Charity Shops" which, whilst once may have had the odd bargain, now only sell utter garbage. And perhaps the closest thing you'll find to garage sales are "Car Boot Sales" (where numerous people gather to sell stuff) at which you'd be really lucky to find anything good for cheap.

Recently I've setup alerts on Gumtree (both local and UK-wide) for vintage turntables but all you ever get are quite basic, less desirable models being way overpriced.

3. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

My Thorens TD 160, in a new plinth I made a few months back,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Archguy, IanL, Dan Steele and 50 others like this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

For me, I start with absolute focus on the music and no other distractions, especially lights glaring in my eyes. I know McIntosh is great equipment, but too many components do not allow you to turn their lights off

PhilBiker likes this.
  5. libertycaps

UK folks don't have divorces and family passing away? I reckon that's how most "Scores" happen. Ex- wives/survivors selling things off w/o a clue what they are actually worth.

One doesn't need to break the bank. One does need to do a bit of research in order to recognize audio "Scores" when they present themselves. I'd say at least half my gear falls into that category.

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

You just have to find the right boot sale and get up very, very early, although depending on what you are looking for South Wales may not be the best location, I got my 301 last year although it did cost proper money and I have been looking for one for 30+ years, I also picked up a TD-160 or 166 for £3, it was in need of some work, I let my friend have it for the £3, otherwise lots of Duals, Pioneers and lesser decks, I'd say boot sales are better for amps and speakers, I see tons of good speakers, TDLs, Tannoys, Kefs, JPWs, Wharfedales etc., I've even managed to pick up two separate pairs of B & Ws and the matching centre channel for my brother, it took about 18 months to get the five, but five B & Ws for around £100 can't be bad. The only thing is you have to be really on the ball and early otherwise the eBay flippers and Hi Fi dealers will beat you to it and for every bit I found I know of something equally good I missed.

norliss likes this.
  7. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My two VPI TNTs. One a Mk-3, one a MK-6. I'm very happy with both.

Mad shadows likes this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I once saw some very expensive Neumann microphones at a garage sale. I asked, with surprise, "Are these for sale?" and the woman said. "Those are my boyfriend's, and he has not shown up for three years. $5"

9. Mikeybc

Mikeybc Listener

10. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

11. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Speaking of thrift shops. $15 in immaculate condition with a Shure 91-ED cartridge. (Haven't had a chance to take pics yet. This pic is googled.)

[​IMG]

Bhob, Johnny Vinyl, andybeau and 5 others like this.
  12. libertycaps

[​IMG]

Music first. Always. The killer vintage, oh so f&%king sexy, gear is second place. Always.

13. Nihil Sleighride

Nihil Sleighride Forum Resident

Swapped out the AT-150MLX for a Music Maker Classic on my 1210

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Moody shot of my bedroom system...

[​IMG]

15. irender

irender Forum Resident

NICE. I love the classic McIntosh look.

PhilBiker likes this.
  16. morris_minor

morris_minor Vinyl addict

How do you like the Audiomods arm?

17. AndrewArnott

AndrewArnott Member

Out with the old
    [​IMG]
    in with the new
    [​IMG]
    Turntable : Rega RSD17
    Cartridge : Ortofon 2m red
    Av Receiver : Pioneer VSX - 529
    Pre Amp : Cambridge Audio CP 1
    Speakers : Cambridge Audio SX - 50

18. Nihil Sleighride

Nihil Sleighride Forum Resident

After the ease of set up and convenience of a the standard arm it was a bit of a culture shock. Before the 1210 my previous experience of arms was RB300's on a Planner 3 and a Funk Firm Vector.

The Audiomod's V takes some setting up but sounds sublime once you've taken the time to do so. I went for the V over an SME as it just drops in to the 1210, has on the fly vta adjustment and the value for money ratio is so high

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  19. Andrew Nyhus

Andrew Nyhus Well-Known Member

20. action pact

21. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident

Solid wood or veneered?

22. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

In this case, might've been better to leave it as a link since it's such a huge picture at 4.3 megabytes.

23. action pact

It shows in my browser (Chrome) at the same width as any other image and with the same loading speed. Did it cause any problems on your end? 4.3MB isn't that huge.

I'm not sure what the issue is.

andybeau and BlackPearl like this.
  24. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Solid American oak, really happy how it turned out.

andybeau likes this.
  25. Andrew Nyhus

Andrew Nyhus Well-Known Member

So how did you do that? I'm trying to figure out how to post some pictures.