Kraftwerk 2004 The Catalogue Sound quality compared to original Cd's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ....Well finally found time to listen to my German Sanyo Japan pressed Die Mensch Maschine CD tonight. There is NO drop out at 2.12-2.14 on Spacelab on my CD.

Have to say what a fine sounding CD this is ! Remember feeling slightly disappointed by the sound compared to vinyl back in 1986 when I bought the disc. However, at the time I was using a Phillips 14 Bit CD player. Now from a Raspberry Pi Wolfson Audio Card playing FLAC via SqueezePlug into a Beresford Caiman SEG DAC via a highly modified Musical Fidelity X10D tube buffer it sounds superb. The disc and all inlays in it's original Jewel Case is in entirely Mint Condition - just like the day I bought it over 30 years ago !

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Yost and Front 242 Addict like this.
  2. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Thank you Theadmans for sharing your impression regarding the sound and regarding the glitch.
    musically it's a fantastic album, I love all the tracks on the album but Neon lights it's my favorite track, such an amazing song , listen to the song it's like swimming in a pool of mesmerizing / beautiful sounds , the sounds in the song are just gorgeous and glorious.

wolfram likes this.
  3. ..well yes Front 242 Addict - you are totally right - Neon Lights (originally issued in Luminous Green Vinyl) sounds so "Luminous" here on this CD it kills me every time! I think this is yet another example of how early CDs sounded superb all along - but were hampered by the quality of CD Players at the time. Today with modern equipment they often sound better than todays remasters.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  4. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

A few months ago, @The_Windmill suggested to start a new "Kraftwerk All Albums Comparison Thread" here. Maybe something like the Genesis - Early CD versions thread?
    I am happy to take up the challenge (as mentioned here). It seems there's already a lot of information to process from this thread, but if you have more data please let me know :)

5. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

New thread available: Kraftwerk – Early CD versions thread (pre-2009 remasters)

The_Windmill likes this.
  6. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Does anybody know if the Japanese CP21 also has the glitches mentioned earlier in this thread?

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  7. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I am also curious to know the answer for that.

8. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

@Yost

Is your 1987 disc made in the UK with matrix AR @ 2 or @ 1

Ones I have heard with glitches are all pressed in the Netherlands with @ 3

9. Yost

Mine is an @2.

Mbe likes this.
  10. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

There is a video on youtube which seems to play without the Spacelab glitch (also I do not see them in the waveform) and images appear to show the disc Made in the UK with AR @ 2 ?

Link To the vid, see / hear what you think;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6zbxZftGF4

Any other glitches may be the upload or youtube :)

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  11. Yost

Yep, strange. I have a Made in UK disc too. Really the only difference is that the disc on the video looks like a "@ 2 +6 + 7+" and mine is a "@ 2 +6 +22+". So mine is probably a bit younger. Mine definitely has the glitches, I checked by listening to the disc itself, instead of to the rips like I did before.

Mbe likes this.
  12. Yost

I almost would have been able to check it myself as I bid on an CP21 on eBay. Luckily someone else overbid me. Afterwards I was thinking, "do I really need a different disc because of 3 glitches?". :help:

13. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

If the price was right who wouldn’t take a chance, although...

There is a Youtube upload of a 1985 Japanese Vinyl Reissue of The Man Machine which has the glitches.

Timings approx 8.28mins for the main Spacelab glitch and 20.50mins for The Model glitch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOuZkQjypEM

14. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Since virtually every Kraftwerk thread discussing The Mix has been closed, I thought I'd pose the question here - not completely related to the 2004 promo box, but more to do with the original CD vs the 2009 remaster.

"Dentaku" on The Mix seems to have a glitch at 3:05 - this is specific to the 2009 remaster. I don't hear this skip/glitch on the 1991 original. Does anyone else hear this?

15. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Quick question: How can I tell which CDs I have. They only say Man Machine (0777 7 46039 2 8), 1978, and Computer World (CD 3549) 1981.

Thanks.

16. Yost

Research on Discogs.com and check matrix numbers and other identifiers on your discs.

Electric likes this.
  17. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

18. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

I have the first Computer World (old enough to be one of those being too eager going from LP to CD). So I have the first CD, EMI CDP 564-7-46130-2, and it is record breaking DR 16. Meaning in plain text I can turn it loud and enjoy it without my neighbours complaining about bass slamming.

19. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

If it's the same as the US, it's not going to sound as good as the German target.
    The US sounded sour to me. I can't explain why, but I hated it the first time I played it.
    Got the German target, and it was superb.

sathvyre likes this.
  20. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I am thinking of buying the 2004 promo box set, but I'm hesitating because the discs are copy-controlled. With some cd's in my collection that have copy-control I'm experiencing difficulty with playback. They do play, but with clicks or other unwanted noise. Anyone who had the box having playback problems with it?

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It depends on your player, really.

Sytze likes this.
  22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Are you talking anout the slip-cases by any chances? The covers inside are the same

The_Windmill likes this.
  23. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Would this promo set give problems with ripping?
    I remember that I had issues with Tour de France, as it was protected. It played flawlessly but no way I could rip that one.

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have no idea, I never had problems ripping copy-protected CDs with EAC or CueTools.
    I had problems with playing some of them in a CD player, but in another player they play perfectly.

albertop likes this.
  25. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.