50 Years of Love & Arthur Lee "Da Capo" "Forever Changes" "Love" & more: Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WilliamWes, Mar 11, 2016.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Interesting comments from MSW, thanks.
    I wish they'd compile the various studio tracks Arthur did with Baby Lemonade on an album. They are impossible to find.
    Glastonbury...meh. How many live performances of FC do we really need? I'm happy with The Forever Changes concert and a dozen boots from 1996-2003 I never listen to.

2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Yer welcome. More is always better---Baby Lem tracks would be welcome indeed.

Have to disagree about Glastonbury--that one is special. Always grateful for the live DVD bootleg I got from good friend Dukie.. The festival vibe is quite different from the magic of the indoor concert at Royal Albert Hall--the official Forever Changes Concert. The Glastonbury outdoor festival atmosphere is wonderful, so if we get a well mixed soundboard on an audiophile quality CD I would call that a completist's dream.

The only thing left would be a long lost soundboard of Love, anytime between 1966 & 1968....anything from Bido Lito's to their stand at the Whiskey (maybe some Don Conka?!!). Not gonna happen, as Arthur was pretty adamant about protecting his music from any recording. Too bad! Love and the Birds are two bands that we have ZERO live material from their heyday at Ciro's, Bido Lito's or the Whisky. Columbia wanted to record the Byrds live at Ciro's during the best live stand of their career...but no, Byrds' guiding force Jim Dickson was afraid to have one or two bad tracks on a live set and wanted complete control over what Columbia would put on vinyl, so no deal. Dickson has said that he has regretted that decision many times over the years. The Byrd's were magic it is said by all who had the luck to attend those shows. Darn!

zobalob, tedhead and Dukie like this.
  3. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I came on for info on the Glastonbury CD/DVD, which I got in abundance. Thanks to all concerned.

I have to agree with @lemonade kid & @The Freedom Man about `Forever Changes`. I have stated many times on various threads that I consider `Forever Changes` to be the greatest album of all time. I only wish `Forever Changes` was to receive the same treatment as `Sgt. Pepper` is deservedly getting on it`s 50th Anniversary.

Dukie and The Freedom Man like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

[​IMG]
    What's a "Liquor drive In"?

bekayne and DTK like this.
  5. old school

old school Senior Member

I love Michael's drumming on Forever Changes but Ken Forssi's bass playing is sublime and one of my favorite bass players of that period 1965-1967.

DTK and lemonade kid like this.
  6. lemonade kid

Kenny of Love & Bruce Palmer of Buffalo Springfield were two of the most influential and rather unheralded, except by their peers, bass players of their day. Yes, "old school", Kenny played some of the most beautiful, and as you as put it so well, sublime bass lines ever. And Chris Hillman's bass playing on Younger Than Yesterday are amazing too--up there with Sgt. Peppers. Three of the best bassists ever--oh, and McCartney mustn't be forgotten.

Springfield, Love, Beatles and Byrds had the best, elite, bass/drum rhythm sections in rock. Rarified air.

tedhead, DTK and old school like this.
  7. The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man The Freedom Man

Anyone got the Forever Changes Live release? I see it's on Amazon, but cd only.

8. The Freedom Man

Anyone got the Forever Changes Live release? I see it's on Amazon, but cd only.

9. lemonade kid

Ed...from what Steve said, it will only be released on CD. You may need to make a rare break from your vinyl only stance...

:tiphat:

DTK likes this.
  10. The Freedom Man

I can't, Scott, I can't...

Dan is looking at your account by the way, I couldn't find anything why you can't log in over at the, well you know Forum..

lemonade kid likes this.
  11. lemonade kid

Thanks. I'll try again.

12. Dukie

Dukie Well-Known Member

Just had a response from the record company and it is a 1 cd release with 13 tracks, which is a bit of a let-down to me.

13. Dukie

Dukie Well-Known Member

It looks like this is a 13 track cd-only release.

14. lemonade kid

Yep, a lost opportunity for a rare Love release that is not just a remastered reissue. I guess the last really exciting release was the Forever Changes deluxe box with the alternate sessions tracks/outtakes of the full album--a decade ago?

But still, when it comes to Love, we'll take just about anything "new".

Cheers to you Dukie!

:tiphat:

15. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Arthur Lee and Love - Complete Forever Changes Live - Amazon.com Music

Vinyl $34.99

• Vinyl (May 19, 2017)
    • Number of Discs: 2
    • Format: Live
    • Label: Rockbeat Records
    • ASIN: B06WLKW7CZ

16. lemonade kid

Kevin55 likes this.
  17. lemonade kid

Crazy, huh! Get yer liquor fast!

18. Dukie

Dukie Well-Known Member

The release date mentioned above has been put back.I have been told that the single cd will have 13 tracks.

19. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Tempted by the new release, but on the other hand I already have the Forever Changes live album and DVD from a while back.

DTK likes this.
  20. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means Thread Starter

I received the new Love release from Amazon and I'll be reviewing it soon.

DTK likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Electric kool aid acid test.

22. lemonade kid

Now we're going back... in the way-back machine....

:edthumbs:

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Looking forward to the review! Won't pick this up though....The FC Concert is enough.

24. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Rhino is releasing a 50th anniversary mono version of Love on vinyl for their "summer of love exclusive" release series.

Love - Love

Love
    Love
    50th Anniversary Edition

SUMMER OF LOVE EXCLUSIVE
    LP
    ROCK
    ELEKTRA CATALOG GROUP 4001
    UPC: 081227937911
    Release Date: 7/11/2017
    $19.97 New

LIST PRICE: $21.98 (you save $2.01)

tedhead likes this.
  25. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

I have both brilliant issues on SACD....play them often. yesterday in fact...Wonderful sounding discs...better than the previous cd's I had by quite a bit.. much clearer.