Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I'm so pleased that I'm not the only one who puts 'Something's Goin' On' up at the pinnacle of Cliff albums, up there with 'I'm Nearly Famous'. I would place it above, as you say, and perhaps if it had been 15 years earlier, with three big hits on it (well, bigger than they ended up being in 2004), it would be considered by everyone to be THE career peak.

Jarleboy, StephenB and mark ab like this.
  2. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

There are some similarities, yes. (But I doubt that Cliff has a "MOODY BLUE" or a "WAY DOWN" in him... Wouldn´t mind if he did.) :righton:

mark ab likes this.
  3. Jarleboy

I agree - it´s one of his best album, ever. It´s perhaps a bit more bland than some of his peak albums - 1976-1982 - but I could easily include "SOMETHING´S GOING ON" in my Top Ten favourites.

Today my Top Ten albums would be:
    1. "ROCK´N´ROLL JUVENILE" - always the greatest for me!
    2. "I´M NO HERO" - a bit samey, but with a lot of energy.
    3. "GREEN LIGHT" - a bit uneven, but with some great top tracks.
    4. "I´M NEARLY FAMOUS" - a great comeback album with many highlights.
    5. "WIRED FOR SOUND" - used to be my No. 1 album, but I see it differently now, Still great!
    6. "SMALL CORNERS" - his best religiously themed album, and great production work from Cliff!
    7. "EVERY FACE TELLS A STORY" - contains my all-time Cliff favourite, "WHEN TWO WORLDS DRIFT APART".
    8. "STRONGER" - one of his last great pop albums.
    9. "SOMETHING´S GOING ON" - another great comeback album.
    10. "SONGS FROM HEATHCLIFF" - a solid album, perhaps lacking a killer single. (Though two of them come close.)

My choices would probably be different tomorrow, but that would mainly be the relative ranking of these albums. I love these albums, and wish I could find space for "NOW YOU SEE ME, NOW YOU DON´T" on the list. Perhaps that´s for tomorrow.

Anyway - a lot of great music here!

RonBaker, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  4. Jarleboy

Perhaps. It is a solid album, very strong. and Cliff sounds as if he cares about these songs, unlike on the previous two albums. (And - still fighting hopeless causes - I think the only track from those two albums that would sit comfortably among the SGO tracks would be the title track of "REAL AS I WANNA BE". I know... But I do love it. And it sounds as if Cliff also does.)

mark ab likes this.
  5. CheshireCat

A top 10 album list. Hmm, difficult. Of course it's subject to change according to the mood....
    1. SOMETHING'S GOIN' ON
    2. ALWAYS GUARANTEED
    3. EVERY FACE TELLS A STORY
    4. I'M NEARLY FAMOUS
    5. ROCK 'N' ROLL JUVENILE
    6. I'M NO HERO
    7. GREEN LIGHT
    8. WIRED FOR SOUND
    9. STRONGER
    10. THE 31ST OF FEBRUARY STREET

running hatter and Jarleboy like this.
  6. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

Okay, I'm going to wade in with my top ten now....

1) Something's Going On;
    2) I'm Nearly Famous;
    3) 31st February Street;
    4) Every Face Tells A Story;
    5) Me and My Shadows;
    6) Soulicious;
    7) Small Corners;
    8) The Event;
    9) Sincerely;
    10) I'm No Hero.

There you go, may change tomorrow, who knows? lol!

CheshireCat, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  7. Jarleboy

Yes, it´s difficult. And it does keep changing from day to day. I see we many of the same choices, although relative ranking is different. I see that "SMALL CORNERS" is an album that keeps growing for me, even though I´m very much an atheist. Strange. I think it´s because I sense Cliff´s passion for the songs.

And yes, "THE 31ST OF FEBRUARY STREET" does have many great songs - and also some lacklustre ones. ("LONG LONG TIME", "THE SINGER"). But definitely one of his great albums.

Loved reading your list - makes me want to play those albums all over again - for the umpteenth time.

CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  8. Jarleboy

Same here - my list changes every day! We have quite a few albums in common. I think "SINCERELY" is good, but a bit patchy. From the earlier part of his career, ME AND MY SHADOWS" is definitely a warm and lovely highlight. Glad to see you included "SMALL CORNERS" - I ahve grown steadily more fond of it while writing for this thread.

Many great selections!

9. CheshireCat

Nice to see the love for 31st OF FEBRUARY STREET. I really should have placed it higher, but didn't feel like re-doing the list! It's the album I've been listening to in the car today, so it's climbed into my top 5 today.
    I also thought about ME AND MY SHADOWS, SINCERELY, and TRACKS AND GROOVES, but I don't play them very often. Maybe I should. If SMALL CORNERS wasn't religious, there's a chance it could have been in the top 10 too... And then I thought about the German LP POWER TO ALL OUR FRIENDS, but decided it wasn't eligible...
    Decisions, decisions...

Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  10. Jarleboy

The good thing is that there are many good albums to choose from. That´s good news!

I feel the main reason I don´t list albums like "TRACKS´N´GROOVES", "SINCERELY" etc. is that they have a great deal of excellent tracks, but also a lot of filler. The production also lets some of the songs down - they come across as old-fashioned and bland. I love some of them, though, like Cliff´s version of "BANG BANG", and the mysterious "AS I WALK INTO THE MORNING OF YOUR LIFE".

Agree about "SMALL CORNERS" - it´s one of his very best albums. Once I got past the religious aspect of it, I can appreciate it for what it really is: A well-chosen and -produced album with songs that gel, and that Cliff sings with more passion than usual. It´s a grower. (And I´m an atheist! Must have lost my card...)

While on the subject... I have always been a sucker for the underdogs of this life, and I think that showed when I presented the "TAKE ME HIGH" album. I love most of the tracks on that - the best songs there equal the ones on "THE 31ST OF FEBRUARY STREET". Imagine a "hybrid" album, using the best tracks from both... No, they are too different to really work, but there are some great songs on both.

A similar album is the 1967 album "CINDERELLA". It contains some very strong album cuts - "PEACE & QUIET", "HEY, DOCTOR MAN" and "THE KINGS PLACE". Some of those songs are rather silly, but others show that Cliff was less square back then than you might think.

mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  11. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

My Top 10:
    1) Green Light
    2) Me and My Shadows
    3) I'm No Hero
    4) Every Face Tells a Story
    5) I'm Nearly Famous
    6) The 31st of February Street
    7) Finders Keepers
    8) Small Corners
    9) Silver
    10) Heathcliff

If I could put in compilations, I would put in "20 Rock n Roll Hits" and The Best of Cliff Volume Two (and One).

mark ab, CheshireCat and Jarleboy like this.
  12. Jarleboy

Yep, those are some of his best albums. I was particularly happy to see that you include "BEST OF CLIFF, VOL. 2", as I thought - or feared - that I might be the only person in the world who loves this album. I like vol. 1, but I LOVE vol. 2.

Also happy too see the late 70s/early 80s albums doing well. Again: It proves that there are many gems to be found in Cliff´s catalogue. As this thread tries to show: There´s more to Cliff than hit singles. (Some would say (s)hit singles, but I don´t agree. :righton:)

13. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Totally agree with you as far as Volume Two goes.

mark ab, CheshireCat and Jarleboy like this.
  14. Jarleboy

It covers an unloved period in Cliff´s career, but I like them all. I guess even more than Cliff does.

mark ab, CheshireCat and RonBaker like this.
  15. CheshireCat

'Volume 2' is great, that and the German 'Power to all our friends' make good companions.
    I also think that if 'Take me high' didn't have the silly numbers, (Brumburger Duet and the one with Anthony Andrews for example) it'd be quite a strong, maybe 12 track album.

Jarleboy, RonBaker and mark ab like this.
  16. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

"The Brumburger Duet" is disposable, but I like the Anthony Andrews duet. The instrumentals are quite good too.

Jarleboy, mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  17. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

The Brumburger Duet is a great, silly fun song!

CheshireCat, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  18. Jarleboy

I agree with you about the two compilation albums.

And yes, those two "TAKE ME HIGH" numbers are silly, but I love them! They wouldn´t fit on an ordinary studio album, so I think you´re right in that they would have to go. Love them as I do.

19. Jarleboy

We´re on the some page. "The biggest load of bull they´ll ever get"... Not quite the thing for a run-of-the-mill Cliff album, but they\re great for what they are.

mark ab likes this.
  20. Jarleboy

"Why" is a fun little thing, and I like the interplay between the two voices. Silly, yes, but very enjoyable.

21. Jarleboy

Single No. 137: 2006 December 11— UK — EMI EMI CLIFFX 217
    A-side: "21st CENTURY CHRISTMAS" (Written by Paul Brady & Ralph Murphy)
    A-side: "MOVE IT!" (Written by Ian Ralph Samwell)

Produced by Chris Porter, "MOVE IT!" by Brian Bennett & Brian May

NB! I am aware that I have skipped one single. The track "YESTERDAY ONCE MORE" was released as a download single only, and didn´t make the charts. Since it had no extra tracks, I shall cover it when we get to the track on the main album. If it were memorable in any other sense than being awful, I would have dropped a few lines about it. I don´t think it deserves that much attention, though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robert Porter:
    Move It
    (Ian Ralph Samwell)
    Running Time: 4:07
    This is the same as on the Two's Company: The Duets album.

21st Century Christmas
    (Paul Brady & Ralph Murphy)
    Running Time: 4:00
    This is an original A-side.

This single was considered a double A-side. Although no side is considered more important than the other, typically double A-sides have some sort of order as determined by it's promotion, chart placing, etc. Curiously, while this single is typically referred to as 21st Century Christmas/Move It with 21st Century Christmas getting top billing on the CD and download singles as well as in the chart listing, for the 7" single, Move It is given top billing and the single is given a distinct cover from the other releases. The promo CD single, although using the same artwork as the standard CD single, also swaps the order of the songs.

"This Christmas, I do have a new single being released on 11th December called 21st Century Christmas. I very much hope it will be my third Christmas No. 1. It's gone down very well on my current UK tour, so I'm hopeful!"
    Cliff Richard (December 1 2006 - PRNewswire interview)
    "...I like his bit [Move It] with Brian and me [from the night or recording] best of course !! (not on the DVD, but hopefully to be seen non-stop on our TV's this Christmas ! Along with Cliff's Christmas song ... 21st Century Christmas .... which is the other half of the Double-A .... I was going to say "on the other side" ...but that's a give-away about how far back I go !"
    Brian May (December 1 2006 - BRIANMAY.COM || THE OFFICIAL BRIAN MAY WEBSITE )

"And, yes, Cliff has a yule time song, it's called 21st Century Christmas. Good lyrics, catchy tune. Could it be poised to follow his Mistletoe and Wine into the No.1 spot on December 25?"
    Eddie McIlwaine (2006 December 5 - Belfast Telegraph)

"I don't do a Christmas single every year and I have actually only had four Christmas number ones, which is not a lot in 38 years! The first was with the Shadows, I Love You, which was not really a Christmas song at all, then Mistletoe and Wine in 1988. Saviour's Day got to number one in 1990 and Millenium Prayer [sic] in 1999. I wasn't specifically thinking of doing a Christmas song this year but when I heard 21st Century Christmas, I just couldn't resist it. I love the idea of satellites tracking Santa and texting him your Christmas list."
    Cliff Richard (December 14, 2006 - The Telegraph)

"21st Century Christmas is his first Top 40 hit since May last year and his first seasonal release since I Cannot Give You My Love two years ago. Don't ask me how, but this new single somehow straddles the line between cheesy and appealing in a way no single of his for years has managed and duly charges into the chart at Number 2, coming agonisingly close to giving him what would be a sensational Number One hit. Nonetheless, even while falling short it becomes his biggest hit since December 1999's The Millennium Prayer topped the charts and only his third Top 10 hit of the decade. The single appears as a double a-side, with a brand new recording of his very first hit single Move It also listed."
    James Masterton (December 17, 2006 - dotmusic.com chart review)

"The singer who was in the charts before the advent of The Beatles is touching pole position again with his latest single, 21st Century Christmas, which charted at Number 2 on Sunday. His official website is urging fans to 'buy copies for family and friends - let's all do our best to help him achieve that No 1 in the sixth decade!' When Sir Cliff, 66, had his first UK Number One with Living Doll in 1959, it would be another 10 years before man walked on the moon. He had 13 more Number Ones including Summer Holiday (1963), We Don't Talk Anymore (1979), Mistletoe & Wine (1988) and The Millennium Prayer (1999). Until this week, his highest charting single this decade was Santa's List in 2003 which peaked at fifth place. Once touted as Britain's answer to Elvis Presley, Sir Cliff since the late 1980s has been regarded more as a national treasure - albeit one sometimes mocked because of his knack with the Christmas-themed song. He has reached the No 1 position four times around Christmas. The first, in 1960 – I Love You - with the Shadows, and the most recent with The Millennium Prayer, which sold more than a million copies. Now there is an air of excitement at EMI, his record company, as Sir Cliff again rides on the wave of popularity. A spokesman for the company put it bluntly, last night, saying: "He is after the elusive Number One." Sir Cliff appears to have touched a cord with his latest song, which alludes to the world's modern inventions including mobile phones, fax machines, satellites and microwaves. But what really matters, he says, is love. 'The truth is, I don't think about hits anymore,' Sir Cliff told The Telegraph in an interview last week with Neil McCormick. 'I just look for great songs and put them out there and see what happens. I wasn't specifically thinking of doing a Christmas song this year but when I heard 21st Century Christmas, I just couldn't resist it. I love the idea of satellites tracking Santa and texting him your Christmas list, but it returns to the essential message of Christmas when I sing We thank Bethlehem and bless the Lord for love again. Fashions change, but Christmas will always be special.' [...] Sir Cliff faces stiff competition from Leona Lewis - the winner of TV talent contest The X Factor - whose single A Moment Like This is tipped to take the top spot."
    Stephanie Condron (December 19, 2006 - The Telegraph)

"British crooner Sir Cliff Richard's chances of scoring a Christmas number one this year (06) look bleak, because he believes his fans are too old to download the song. The Wired For Sound hitmaker is aiming to create history by scoring a number one for the sixth decade in a row with 21st Century Christmas. But despite reaching number two last Sunday (17DEC06), he fears music technology has passed his older fans by in time to for him to score a Christmas number one in this week's British chart (24DEC06). He says, 'What I love is I'm still allowed to compete and if my fans can learn how to download you never know, there might still be a number one in store. Believe me, I'm up for it.'"
    Author Unknown (December 19, 2006 - contactmusic.com news)

"It was a shame that I didn't quite make the No 1 slot in the week leading up to Christmas but I think the 'opposition' was just too great. Interestingly, over-the-counter sales of 21st Century Christmas were almost half as many again as Take That's, but they beat me hollow on downloads - about 14,000 to my 700-odd! However, thank you so much for all your efforts to get me my sixth-decade No 1 - I really appreciate your enthusiastic support. And, to be honest, a Top 3 position in six decades isn't to be sneezed at - especially as I'm apparently the only artist ever to have achieved it!"
    Cliff Richard (December 19, 2006 - Facebook posting)

"So far [Cliff's] biggest hit in the present decade has peaked at No 2; it was, appropriately enough, a re-recording of Move It, coupled with a new song, 21st Century Christmas."
    Richard Williams (September 2008 - liner notes for 50th Anniversary Album album)

Running Time: 4:00
    Record Date: 2006
    Record Location: Stanley House Studios, London
    Written By: Paul Brady & Ralph Murphy
    Produced By: Chris Porter
    Engineered By: Chris Porter
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Phil Palmer (guitars), Gavin Harrison (drums), Richard Cardwell (keyboards), Jakko Jaczyk (backing vocals)

This single peaked at No. 2 in the UK charts, and even managed to make a showing in the Danish charts, peaking at No. 18.

This is one of his sprightlier attempts at a modern Christmas song, and I think it´s one of his better tracks since 2000. It seems to have been largely forgotten about now, but that might be down to the Christmas connection. But I like it.

NB! Can anyone confirm or deny that this song was co-written by Paul Brady, the great Irish singer-songwriter?

22. Jarleboy

We all know "MOVE IT", and the many versions of it, live and studio. If we only count the studio ones, he recorded the original in 1958, and an in-studio live version was recorded for the "CLIFF" album in 1959. A radically reworked version was recorded for the 1967 album "DON´T STOP ME NOW", and a "Thunder" version was released on the "ROCK´N´ROLL SILVER" album in 1983. He has also recorded a version together with Hank Marvin.

This is a version recorded with two other members of the UK rock´n´roll royalty. Brian Bennett, of course, was a member of The Shadows, where he was the drummer. He has since scored films and TV-shows, like the hit crime show "NEW TRICKS", together with his son Warren. (Love this show, by the way!) Cliff has also contributed to one of his solo albums.

The guitarist Brian May, who wrote many of his band Queen´s biggest hits, and played his trademark self-built guitar on lots of other songs, is the other guest. This recording was included on the album "TWO´S COMPANY". (Being a collection of duets, the other A-side was not included.)

Robert Porter:
    The music video for this version of Move It was filmed shortly after a Here And Now concert performance on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 (the same night the concert of the DVD was filmed). The concert audience was encouraged to stay and Cliff and the two Brians came on stage and performed a couple of mimed performances for the music video.
    "Gotta mention ..... have been working on a great project with Cliff Richard ... Now if you have just reeled in shock and horror, I must put you straight. Cliff was a hero to us all when we were kids .... perhaps most of all to Freddie ...who, in his first band, the Hectics somewhere way over there ... played Cliff songs ..like Please Don't Tease, Move it, Livin' Doll ...... I know, because Freddie used to talk of it proudly, and when he finally got to meet Cliff he was thrilled. They became very good friends. Well, one day last month I was surprised (very suprised!) to get a phone call from Cliff, asking me if I would be interested in conributing to his forthcoming Duets album. He said he had always regarded Move It as a duet in a sense, because there is a kind of response thing going on between the vocal and guitar. He asked if I'd like to duet with him on a new version of Move It. My mind started racing immediately ... with lots of ideas about jow it could be done ... I said yes of course .... how could anyone refuse a challenge like that ? And that was that. It has become a really stimulating project. Brian Bennett, the legendary drummer of the Shadows for most of their hits, with and without Cliff, is an old friend of mine, and a great drummer indeed ....a great influence on Roger, Roger has always told me .... he has real 'chops,' says Roger, and is rare in that generation of Drum Owners in that he was, and is, a hard hitter. He has many other talents too, however - is an experienced producer, and has has written and produced many orchestral scores for TV and film. Brian B was already involved in producing material for this Cliff album, and we resolved to do it together. The thing is ... Cliff is enormous - a phenomenon - and if he appears anywhere around here he is guranteed to cause a stampede for tickets. But among the young, there is not a great awareness ...or if people are aware, they often regard Cliff's music as something their parents might like but they don't. And in the USA, there is a similar gulf ... folks simply do not see Cliff as an act that is relevant to them. Now to us, he is the man who used to come on Jack Good's Oh Boy TV show and Rock the house - he was the heaviest thing around ... much more serious and incisive than the music that was around until then. He was, to England, a lot of what Elvis was for the States. Unfortunately this tends to go against him in some people's estimation, because they feel he is merely an Elvis imitator. This is a gross underestimation of Cliff Richard as an artist. We all have influences - we were certainly influenced by The Who, Zeppelin, Cream - but that doesn't make us imitators ...we went on to define ourselves uniquely by our output. Well, so did Cliff. He has got to be the the most consistent hit-maker in the history of the British charts .... and has never repeated himself of become slap-dash. Many of his later records are too MOR to appeal to the Rock fans, but to us, he is still that smouldering firework we want to see ignite again ... This is the nature of the challenge as I see it. I became taken over by the idea that Cliff should once again be recognised as a force in Rock - it seems so odd that, for instance, Tom Jones should be invited to represent 'rock' at the Palace a couple of years ago, but not Cliff. (nothing against Tom, by the way - he is a superb talent). Well, we went on the studio last week, and had an intense, and immensely enjoyable session. The session was in Abbey Road 2 - the exact place where the original version of Move It was made in 1958. And also of course, later, frequented by that other English phenomenon, The Beatles. Cliff sang. Mo Foster played bass - a mighty force in himself. I played guitar, Brian Bennett drummed, and ...we had a blast as a four-piece all day. The result will be two separate new versions of the song. They are both in production now. Brian and I spent a 16-hour day on Thursday, tidying up, sculpting and mixing one of the versions .... but with a firm commitment to keeping it raw and real, as the day had been. Cliff was in great voice .. and really went for it ... I strongly feel this stuff will turn heads. ...for me it was a historic day .... the kind of day you want to tell your Dad about ... My Dad would have been so damn proud ... the day his son played guitar for Cliff Richard ... how did I get so lucky ? ... so many dreams coming true"
    Brian May (2006 July 9 - Bri's Soapbox (Brian May's personal blog))

"I was in a video edit suite tonight doing some polishing on the video we shot for Cliff Richard's single Move It - featuring legendary SHADOWS drummer Brian Bennett and myself, and produced for Cliff by us. We shot it at the end of Cliff's Wembley show last week - in front of a large crowd of his very appreciative fans. I think the video has come out very well indeed, directed by Brian Klein and edited with us by Paul Richmond. Our Protools ace Kris Fredriksson kindly came along too, to lend his amazing eye for sync to further polish the final result. It's great ! We look like we are having fun - which is good, cos we were !! [...] ...I like his bit with Brian and me [from the night or recording] best of course !! (not on the DVD, but hopefully to be seen non-stop on our TV's this Christmas ! Along with Cliff's Christmas song ... 21st Century Christmas .... which is the other half of the Double-A .... I was going to say 'on the other side' ...but that's a give-away about how far back I go !"
    Brian May (December 1 2006 - BRIANMAY.COM || THE OFFICIAL BRIAN MAY WEBSITE )

"Stop Press ! I just got this message from Brian Bennett, my pal (I'm honoured to say!) from the Shadows. As you may know, Brian and I produced a new version of Cliff Richard's classic Move It for a single release, and it's out this week. This is the message ! 'Just heard Move It is No 6 in the mid-week charts. If enough people buy it this Thursday, Friday and Saturday, we could be No 1 next week, for Xmas!' So, though far be it from me to be suggestive, IT'S A THOUGHT !!! Maybe if we all demand our Cliff Richard in our local record shops (there's a 21st Century Christmas song on the 'other side' ), the Cliffer will be put back at the top where he belongs !! There's some pretty dirty guitar playing on it, I hear !"
    Brian May (December 6 2006 - BRIANMAY.COM || THE OFFICIAL BRIAN MAY WEBSITE )

"The [21st Century Christmas] single appears as a double a-side, with a brand new recording of his very first hit single Move It also listed. Originally a hit on his debut in 1958, the track is used by Cliff as part of his public campaign to extend the 50 year copyright period on music recordings, pointing out that his earliest works are on the verge of becoming public domain. This isn't the first time that Move It has appeared as the b-side of a more contemporary track, the original version having been also paired with The Best Of Me back in 1989 to mark the occasion of his 100th single release. What was Cliff's last single to peak at Number 2? You guessed it...""
    James Masterton (December 17, 2006 - dotmusic.com chart review)

"So far [Cliff's] biggest hit in the present decade has peaked at No 2; it was, appropriately enough, a re-recording of Move It, coupled with a new song, 21st Century Christmas. Given such an omen, who would bet against there being more to come?"
    Richard Williams (September 2008 - liner notes for 50th Anniversary Album album)

Running Time: 4:07
    Record Date: June 27, 2006
    Record Location: Abbey Road Studios 2, London
    Written By: Ian Ralph Samwell
    Produced By: Brian Bennett & Brian May
    Engineered By: Justin Shirley Smith
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Brian May (guitar), Brian Bennett (drums), Mo Foster (bass)

Any version of "MOVE IT!" is welcome, though it´s not my favourite Cliff song. It´s a good´un, though. :righton:

NB! This version includes the extra verses written by Ian Samwell in the 90s.

This is a live version, as you can see and hear.

23. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I bought the single, but haven't played it but once. I don't think the original recording of "Move It" from the 50s has been beat no matter how many times he's done it. This is my least favorite version. Tempo drags and it loses everything that was special about in the first place.

CheshireCat, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  24. Jarleboy

I sort of agree with you that the original has yet to be bested. Cliff´s youthful energy, the pace, the energy... again. But I do like all the different version, especially the 1983 version. The 1967 version is a bit weird. Interesting, but weird.

The other side of the single is good, though, and if the lyrics had been about another subject, it could have been another Cliff evergreen. (Though the lyrics are charming, for what they are.) IMO, of course.

25. CheshireCat

Great to hear such positive things from Brian May.

Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.