Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by whaiyun, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Okay, I just saw it. "Immigrant Song" was not in the movie, although it was definitely in the Marvel trailer they showed *before* the movie.

Murph likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was looking pretty closely and Kurt Russell's jawline, nose, and face size were altered for the younger version. This wasn't just wrinkle-smoothing... it was a ton of work. I agree, I think the studio is downplaying how much work was done. In truth, you only get about 10 really good looks at his 1980 face -- the rest is done in wide shots.

I'll say this: Kurt's acting was terrific, and he does a very, very good job in the role. His voice is just about unchanged from the way it was 30 years ago, so that sounds fine. I've been told he's a genuinely nice person to work with.

budwhite, GeoffC, Solaris and 5 others like this.
  3. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Thanks. I saw the movie last night and I didn't recall hearing the LZ tune in the movie. I really enjoyed the movie. They could've just rehashed the first one but they didn't. There were some twists and some surprises. Agreed the soundtrack not as good as the first one but still good. I can't recall a movie series where the music plays such an integral part of the movie. I loved that the writer could have easily used an IPOD in a certain scene but didn't. I laughed out loud!

GeoffC and longdist01 like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Soundtrack: best tune used
    Mr Blue Sky.

GeoffC, forthlin and whaiyun like this.
  5. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

The Kurt Russell character was.... disturbing.

mdm08033 likes this.
  6. alexpop

Giving StarLord's mom cancer, el sicko.

Murph and jeffrey walsh like this.
  7. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I saw the movie today, was a ton of fun! Almost as good as the first.

Another LZ song ('Babe I'm Gonna Leave You') was used in preview before, 'King Arthur'.
    That movie looks like an absolute mess! (Though I'm sure Jude Law does his best, a great actor).

8. alexpop

Guy Ritchie should do another London gangster film.

EddieMann likes this.
  9. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

^^ I thought the same thing when his name popped up at the end of that trailer! 'Lock Stock.....' and 'Snatch' are two of my favourite movies!

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Hellen Mirren was a surprise, looked twenty years younger than her age.

11. alexpop

Should use Mark Strong to do his Robert De Niro styled hitman ..ala Revolution.

12. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

For the next week or so, please try to use spoiler tags for big plot points not already revealed in the trailers.

Thanks!

Murph and jriems like this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Banking those "Units".....

This time, the spoils belong to James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which debuted to $145 million from 4,347 theaters over the weekend — more than 54 percent ahead of the first film — for an early global total of $427.6 million. Males fueled the movie (56 percent), while 40 percent of ticket buyers were under the age of 25.

In its second weekend of play overseas, the quirky superhero sequel earned another $124 million from 55 markets for an early foreign total of $282.6 million. Among new territories, China led with $48 million, followed by South Korea ($13.3 million) and Russia ($11.6 million).

Weekend Box Office: 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Zooms to $145M Debut

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

A very personal message from James Gunn, shockingly open.

‘Guardians 2’ Director James Gunn Thanks Fans, Reveals Past Suicidal Thoughts

“I’ve spent the past two and a half years making a film – probably a good 95% of my non-sleeping life during that time – and sometimes it seems it all comes down to these few weeks of release in theaters. Let me tell you, it’s harrowing.

The movie is doing incredibly all over the world – up nearly fifty percent over the first film in most territories, and a breakout hit in countries where it didn’t do as well the first time around (hi, Korea!)

I’m exceptionally proud of how well it’s doing in the countries I’ve visited and where I’ve made many friends the past few years – Thailand, Brazil, Colombia, Russia, the UK. You’ve all welcomed me into your countries and I’m a better person for my interactions with you.

So, as we open up around the world, I would be lying if I said I don’t get distracted by the numbers. The first thing I do in the morning is roll over in bed and check my phone for the morning box office reports.

But, in the end, it’s not what matters to me. I write this now to let you know, but also to remind myself. Because I’m human and I sometimes forget.

When I was young I felt utterly alone, at times to the point of suicidal thoughts. I never felt like I belonged, had an incredibly difficult time connecting to other people and, despite having love around me, I had an impossible time experiencing it, or taking it in.

But I found my respite in popular entertainment – Marvel comics, science fiction and horror films, the music of The Sex Pistols, The Replacements, and Queen. Suddenly I could see past the bland suburbs where I lived into a more magical world, a world more aligned with what I imagined. Sometimes these works were simply escapist fantasies that distracted me from the difficulties of my internal life. But other times, in the strongest moments – maybe through the words of Alice Cooper or Freddie Mercury, through Cronenberg films, or even in Chewbacca’s growl, I experienced something deeper – the realization that I wasn’t completely alone. Someone out there was as weird and strange and whacked out as I was.

So this morning, as the internet discusses box office and its many theories around what that means (zzzzzzzz), I’d like to remember that that’s truly all nonsense and noise. The only meaning the money holds for me is that I can pay my mortgage, feed my dog and cat, and continue making movies. I haven’t worked two and a half years just to watch a string of numbers getting higher.

I work because I like telling stories. I work because I love the relationships I have with my collaborators. And I do it because I like connecting with people, and the easiest way I know how to do that is through filmmaking. I do it so that some kid in Thailand, or England, or Colombia, or Brazil, or Japan, or Russia, or anywhere, can hear the frequency of his or her own heart bouncing back off the Guardians.

They’re a group of heartbroken misfits whose lives have been bereft of tenderness and connection and who have a nearly impossible time trusting themselves or others. But they’re learning, one step at a time.

They are me. They are you. We are Groot.

And no matter how much world leaders are telling you we aren’t in this together, we are. You are not alone.

Thank you so much, my Facebook friends, for supporting me over the past two and a half years, and thank you for all the messages letting us know we’ve keyed into the frequency of your hearts. I love you all, and I’ll continue being here with you over the next three years as we create “Vol. 3.”

GeoffC, Vidiot, longdist01 and 3 others like this.
  16. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

While many critics are saying this isn't as good as the first one, I liked it just as much. :righton:

17. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Me too.

The Hud, Deuce66, Murph and 2 others like this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's far more character driven, darker in tone overall which I didn't expect.

19. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I guess. The main difference for me is I think the first one I laughed the most at Rocket, whereas this time it was Drax.

Vidiot and longdist01 like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

"Immigrant Song" is definitely in the movie and I sang along with it. Seriously.

Note that they did this in about 10 days, which is pretty extraordinary. I think it's a slam dunk this movie's going to go north of $800M, possibly a billion.

Here's a good industry discussion on the reasons why they believe Guardians 2 is doing so well:

5 Reasons 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2' Blasted into the $100+ Million Opening Club

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Saw quite a few 'tie-in' commercials before this came out (Dairy Queen, Geico)...
    How much do those types of things tie-in to how much it cost to actually promote the movie?

22. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Just got back. I thought the first was going to be lame but was surprised and enjoyed it. This one lived up to what I thought the first was gointgto be. Thought it was lame and pretty boring.
    Did enjoy Immigrant Song.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think every deal is different and it depends on the length of the ad campaign, how many spots they guarantee will get on the air, what countries are involved, and so on. I would guess the deals would be a minimum of a million bucks and go up from there. And let's not even get into the toy merchandising... I heard the Halloween costume licensing alone was north of $5 million.

24. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Went to see it last night.

Enjoyed it but felt I didnt enjoy it as much as the first one. HOWEVER....I think that may be due to the the fact I had less than zero expectations for the first one and was very pleasantly surprised that it worked so well. So I think that might be the problem. I wasn't as 'surprised' as last time.

I did think one or two bits could have been trimmed to pick up the pace a little but overall it's a solid movie and testament to not having 23 script writers.

It's just a shame that they have to cross over into the Avenger's universe soon which means we'll just get a total mess and 12 characters getting very little to do while Tony Stark and Capt. America get to slam people into walls and the ground for two hours.

The Hud, andybeau and Deuce66 like this.
  25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I saw it yesterday in Cinemark XD.

I liked it but not as much as the first one. Baby Groot was the best. This one wasn't quite as funny as the first one.

Well worth seeing for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.