Kids listening to old music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by head_unit, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

It is the same with me. My 21 year old daughter does not like music. Most of the people in my extended family stopped listening to music years ago.

Xabby, pig bodine and Strat-Mangler like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That's only because Louis Prima was the coolest human being ever to walk the face of the Earth.

I've been saying this for years - we should envy them. The entire history of recorded music is available to them in a way that it never was to us.

I wish I could find this one article I saw a few years back, where the magazine writer said that he had one of the best and deepest conversations about music in his entire life with a 15 year cousin at a wedding. This kid had dug into genres as deeply as any music critic he'd ever met.

I shot four concerts last weekend. At one of them, a 15 year old introduced a song originally sung by Lemmy by mentioning that he'd worked as a roadie for Keith Emerson - this 15 year old is the biggest ELP fan I've ever met.

3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

For sure. I'm just saying anecdotal evidence is not the way to go to prove either side of the debate. I agree sales data is a much better indicator.

4. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

I'm 16, and I'm definitely not the norm in this case - I listen to lots and lots of old stuff, collect CDs and vinyl, etc. I have successfully introduced quite a few of my friends to good music - I've made 4 Johnny Cash fans, 3 Beatles fans, a Rush fan, etc. out of some of them! I find kids nowadays (my friends anyway) at least open to old music once they have a basis in it; the problem is that they're (for the most part) totally unaware of its merit, and dismiss it outright until they're made more familiar with it. Then there was the family with three kids who were at my house. Over dinner, in one sentence, they managed to criticize the entirety of music made before 2010!!! :shrug: I didn't dare tell them about my record collection! :laugh:

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I teach high school. You cannot believe how many kids know the music that so many of us listened to as teenagers ourselves. It's quite amazing actually. When I was a teenager I was listening to music from the previous decade, sure, but not the music from half a century before!

6. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Me as well--my wife and son couldn't care less about music, my brother and sister and their kids and spouses as well. My daughter, at least likes some music, although not the same that I like.

I started listening to jazz when I was 16, and, while I mostly listened to 50's - 70's albums at the time (this was 1979-80) I did have some older material from Armstrong, Ellington and Parker.

7. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Interesting replies. I'm a millennial and rarely recall anyone in the late 90s to early 00s listening to much music from the 80s and further back unless it was a greatest hits or staple album from a big name such as Metallica, Pink Floyd, or The Misfits.

8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Old music? like Collins & Harlan?

irid likes this.
  9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

So many young fellas today tell me they'd have killed to live this or that moment in music I lived myself, and their despise for today's music quality, and how lucky I've been in that respect. They listen to my anecdotes in awe. It's really weird, but kinda flattering.

10. Hot Ptah

This has never happened to me even once.

11. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

No bout adout it. If you're a kid these days there's more easy exposure to a wide variety of music than ever before. It's no wonder Classic Rock is still so popular. It helps that a lot of today's pop music is...mediocre.

Wombat Reynolds and The Pinhead like this.
  12. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

In a way pop music is right back where it was before Elvis and again before the Beatles... it became all about a marketable fashion model type human with the music part being grafted on to that, the plastic teen idol thing. When there is something halfway real musically today I think people respond to the artist and find them in spite of a lack of the big media push, or even in spite of the big plastic marketing thing in some cases.

13. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

buncha squares... kids are not supposed to like their parents' music, or their grandparents' for that matter

Double D likes this.
  14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Gangsta rap is now around 30 years old; you'd think that would be at least parents' music if not grandparents' music now!

Chris DeVoe and Hot Ptah like this.
  15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Cool! I got raised on 60's/70's radio since birth (1974) and also the music of my older brothers and sisters.
    I must've been 10 when discovering my brother's copies of Queen's Sheer Heart Attack and A Night At The Opera. That sealed the deal.

16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I thought about this the other day hearing some guys in their late teens or early twenties talking about The Doors and how cool they were. I know when I was their age I definitely was not listening nor know about music from 50 years prior. Maybe in the late 70's I started to go back to the late 50's and early 60's for blues and jazz but that was about it. Maybe the music from the 60's and 70's is just that good to withstand the proverbial "test of time" or just available as it never was before or both.

17. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

There are no record execs anymore, nothing is selling in the billions, and there's no mass audience. Except for Adele. Everything kids listen to these days they pick up from YouTube, Spotify, or their friends. They have more freedom to discover what they like and less dependance on middlemen -- whether they be DJs or Dick Clark or Artie Fufkin -- than at any time since the dawn of recorded popular music.

Chris DeVoe, Hot Ptah and BZync like this.
  18. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I dont know if its heredity or environment or what.

My mother played piano and she told me I expressed interest in a very early age, so I started piano lessons at about age 5 or 6. I've been playing at least some kind of instrument, ever since.

My sister however, was never interested...and her and her husband have a gigantic house... and not a single music player in it. They never listen... to any music. Not interested.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Baffles the mind, honestly.

Seems most people put music on for background noise but very few seem to pay attention to it in a serious and appreciative manner. It's like having the Mona Lisa on display in your living room but barely sneaking in a glance once in a while. It's a crying shame.

snowman872 and Yost like this.
  20. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

My son picked up a ton of old music from video games. For example, he has music from the 40s on his phone, as a result of playing Call of Duty. Who said video games don't teach you anything? :cool:

My daughter picked up a lot of old music from Glee, back when she watched it. However much people hated on that show, it did a good job of broadening the music that kids/teens listened to.

head_unit and Yost like this.
  21. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

It's very hard to judge or generalize entire generations without communicating with many many people from various generations and just using a personal example or two. One reason I really like coming here is because I can talk and ask about music to any aged person and learn something.

We always speak of generations and generation gaps but we're all alive here right now in this generation. I don't believe we all have our own generation but that we are alive and relevant in many. The disconnect of communication amongst generations is what makes people think they are part of just one generation. Life doesn't end after 20 years, we all continue through each generation and can make a mark on any generation at any time.

So a younger person uses a cell phone and plays video games. So an older person used a television and played board games. Everyone has had their pastimes and hobbies whatever they are and I accept everyone can do what they like with their life when it comes to music appreciation.

22. Splungeworthy

My emphasis added. Adele is a once in a generation artist, someone who will withstand the test of time, and it is heartening that she has such a huge audience. I am not normally a fan of this kind of music, but I bought it.

23. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

very true.

however I always keep in mind that opinions from here, may not reflect those in the mass population, or, the much wider market for music etc.

A lot of people here, dont fit the mold or stereotype of the targets of these kinds of discussions.

You can say there is no definable mold or even slightly realistic stereotype, but, trends disagree with that.

I know thats an ugly statement to a lot of people. Certainly what I have found here, is a huge wide range of opinions that often seem to differ from the opinions I get from a lot of other people in society who do not value music as much as those here do.

24. Splungeworthy

Well I guess I qualify as an aged person. (I know what you meant-just my pedantry rearing it's ugly head).
    It is true that you get a wide variety of opinions here. It's not always automatically skewed to the classic rock mindset. I have actually found quite a bit of new music here that I probably wouldn't have elsewhere-and by new I don't only mean chronologically. I mean new to me. It's because I respect the members here more than any other on the interwebs-they've proven to be right way more than wrong. And I love that there are young members joining all the time. I will agree that we care a lot more about music than the average person, and I also think it's true that, in general, younger people these days don't get into music nearly as much as we did back in the day. It may ironically have to do with the fact that there is so much choice out there that it's hard to focus in on one genre or artist-the bombardment of music can be numbing.

25. Hot Ptah

The discussion on this thread is missing the huge contemporary country audience. Its millions of fans, many of them young, are passionate about the music, buy a ton of albums, regularly fill arenas and stadiums for concerts, and are just as detail oriented about their favorite artists, as the classic rock audience was in the 1970s.

Without taking the immense country fan base into account, one is missing a very significant portion of today's music audience.

Any cursory observation of today's country radio, or the scene at an arena or stadium country concert of today, reveals that today's country audience does not care about older country. The audience will go back to the early 1990s, to the time when Garth Brooks first became a big star, and no further back. In concert, a country star of today may try to astonish his or her audience by going as far back as a cover of a song by an AM country star of the mid-1980s, as if that is an eternity ago and no one should expect such a deep historical look into music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.