The MP3 is officially dead according to its creators.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Classicrock, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Due to its flexibility I see FLAC emerging as the lossless successor to MP3, with MP3 remaining the "go to" for lossy codecs.

Grant likes this.
  2. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

My company's stock just plummeted.

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Ah, those Napster swooshy artifiacts. Bring back 96kbps!

4. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I don't have ready access to wi-fi so streaming is not an option for me. I prefer to carry my music with me on my device rather than relying on a wireless connection.

The main reason I convert from FLAC to MP3 is that some of my devices (like my iPod Classic) don't support FLAC. Auto conversion is an easy option but it does sometimes take a while to load the files on my player (it took 8 hours to load my iPod Classic with files auto converted from FLAC to MP3). Due to this, its easier to just convert the file ahead of time so that the conversion only needs to be done once.

Grant, Damien DiAngelo and Gaslight like this.
  5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I see what you did :)

6. MP3 never bothered "me" getting music because of other format options.
    Did feel bad for the kids listening to MPEG-1 [as well as some subsequent variations] w/free earbuds tho. Felt they didn't get the chance to hear what real music sounded like.

Only bothered me, when DJ's use it [to this day/heard some this month]. PA's can sound pretty 'crunchy' [hey it gets the kids excited]; then you add a 'crunchy' MP3 source, ugh! Really makes it tough to dance to. Over the last year or two stop by the DJ booth after a MP3 is played & call them out. Some admit it; some deny it. Doesn't matter if DJ denies it; the pain is unmistakable. Got one manager to stop the DJ from playing a "live" self-recorded MP3 cut that he luv'd. Worse sound i've ever heard in over 3 1/2 decades of going to 'Discos'.
    Double ugh!!
    MP3 ugh!!!

Grant likes this.
  7. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Formats don't depend on patents in order to thrive. By that logic, vinyl would have declined decades ago.

The technical standard of CD is exactly the same as in 1983. Nothing has changed.

Grant and Crimson jon like this.
  8. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

My first portable player in the early 00's had 32mb of storage (or maybe it was 64mb). To get two albums on there, I would rip the CDs at 64k wma. And even then I sometimes I had to leave some songs off.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Gaslight likes this.
  9. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Yeah okay well then let me just go delete all my mp3 files because someone said the format is passe. Gotta keep up with the times right? I'll just walk past all my 8-tracks and reel tapes to my computer so I can put them all in the recycle bin.

DiabloG and William Smart like this.
  10. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

It's pretty remarkable how well -V0 mp3s can sound despite how compact the container. I'd imagine many would have a lot of trouble distinguishing a well encoded mp3 from a FLAC file under double blind test conditions.

11. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

I certainly can not tell the difference between a 320 mp3 and a V0 mp3. Then again, isn't that the whole point?

Billy Infinity, bamaaudio and krisbee like this.
  12. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Something cannot be dead if it was never alive, and it certainly wasn't in my home. And yet the CD keeps on going, as it should be!

andrewskyDE and melstapler like this.
  13. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I so prefer the sound of LAME mp3 to AAC. That goes for -V 2 and -V 0.

DiabloG and ShallowMemory like this.
  14. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Let me no?

15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It's lossy talk. Some stuff gets trimmed, but the main point still comes thru.

16. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I tried doing an A/B with a WAV and a 320-bit CBR MP3 of "Sympathy for the Devil" which is a high quality recording and I could not tell the difference.

I think all the MP3 hate out there is from hearing very low bit rate versions encoded at like 128 kbps.

At 256 kbps I start noticing the degradation though.

Grant and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

This is excellent news - if they're dead than I'll start looking for mp3's in the cutout bins!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

19. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

I'm sure it'll be a long time before my computer, phone, car receiver, and portable MP3 player won't play my CD rips.

20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Well, given that hip hop and Madonna seem to be new to some people, I guess MP3 might equal 128kbps Napster files for them also.

Grant and bamaaudio like this.
  21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

[​IMG]

22. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Businesses can now call them MPfree.

23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Me too. I rip at 224 VBR highest quality settings, and it sounds very musical. Occasionally not the SAME as the CD if I really A/B, but standalone quite enjoyable which is what I really care about.

RoyalScam likes this.
  24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Do tell more, that sounds very interesting.

25. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

If you have an Android phone you can get the app, it's like $3 for pro which you need. Install the program also on your local PC, and off you go. Great program, constant updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.