"The Orville," sci-fi comedy series from Seth MacFarlane.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 15, 2017.

1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

The only thing I laughed at was who their Admrial was. But I'll still give it a couple views.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Looks like a fun parody on all things Trek. Could be good if it's skit based and relatively short running time. Under those conditions, MacFarlane can be hilariously funny, but his long-form projects like feature movies, are often very saggy for much of the time.

I totally laughed at the corridor scene where he steps over a blob creature (a dig at TOS). :)

Edit: Just found out that season 1 directors include names such as Brannon Braga, James L. Conway, Jonathan Frakes, Robert Duncan McNeil and Seth MacFarlane himself, so the Trek connection is quite strong.

Also, the ships look better than what we've seen in ST Discovery! :)

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

It could be all Wright ...

Edit: Well, the trailer was very funny!

5. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

if its "adventure of the week sort of stuff" -Im in - maybe it just seems like a lot of hokey jokes because they are all condensed into this trailer - sounds better than that Star Trek series they have been working on....

6. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Looks expensive. It will have to be much funnier than that trailer if it hopes to survive.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The only thing I laughed at was the final gag, where MacFarlane tells the alien commander to take a few steps to the right to get into frame. That was hysterically funny. The rest... not so much. But I'll watch it. It's like Galaxy Quest, only without "actors."

Lightworker likes this.
  8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Let's hope it's a keeper..
    could be Seth's last hurrah, if he can;'t make it work.

9. Looks kinda meh, but will give it a shot. Given all the talent involved one would think it should be at least OK...

pocofan likes this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I saw Galaxy Quest and I don't need Seth's version of that. Pass...

rebellovw and audiomixer like this.
  11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'm in. Looks hysterical! I wonder if this will be a comedy with some hard sci-fi elements. I'm not sure if that's been done before. Naturally, the comedic moments make it into the trailer, but it would be interesting if they offered up a balance. It would be an original take on the sci-fi/comedy, a genre that, itself, isn't all that common.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Can't he just be happy sitting back and collecting his Family Guy money?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I dig the idea of MacFarlane just being a behind-the-scenes guy bankrolling passion projects or other projects he wants to support (e.g. "Cosmos"), but I tend to stay away from stuff that he stars in. That western he did looked awful, and I don't know how I'll ever not think of the guy as being a bit self-important and pretentious after recording that album a few years ago.

cleandan likes this.
  14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Creative person creates work using one of their talents, gets branded self-important and pretentious.

Good precedent there.

15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Who is the guy with the mustache? He looks familiar.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, there is that... :sigh:

I was horrified by how bad A Million Ways to Die in the West was. I really expected that movie to have... I dunno, maybe a dozen or two laughs. I think there were two laughs in the entire film, one of which (the falling ice block) was featured heavily in the trailer. "That went South so fast!" Haaaaaaaarible.

What's baffling to me is that they've been working on this show for six months already! It's got Jon Favreau behind it... and the good news is this is the guy who directed the first two Iron Man movies and also Jungle Book... but it's also the guy who did Cowboys & Aliens. I'll watch it, but the danger is that it could be another Quark (a forgotten 1970s sci-fi spoof of Star Wars).

showtaper likes this.
  17. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

The older guy?

He was in a few episodes of Seinfeld and plays Raj's dad on The Big Bang Theory.

old4mat and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I just found out that the episodes will be an hour long, with a season order of 13 eps. That's an awful lot of time for 'pure' comedy. It will have to be plot oriented (as opposed to skit oriented), which worries me, because MacFarlane isn't great at long story narratives. So, I expect the humor to be relatively sparse over the hour's running time.

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well, there is the fact that Seth bank-rolled that "Cosmos" series...
    He's got all that 'space-effect stuff' that's just sitting somewhere.

20. Looking forward to giving this show a chance. I love the bits of Star Trek spoofing he's included in Family Guy episodes.

21. MikaelaArsenault

Thank you.

22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

And was also a Star Trek guest alumni, playing Doctor Bashir's father in an episode of Deep Space Nine.
    Brian George
    Nice choice for first guest :D

23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It's a bit late in the day to be spoofing Star Trek, isn't it?

24. MikaelaArsenault

I knew he looked familiar!

25. Still a bunch of us Boomers and GenXers who will enjoy this satire if done well.