War for the Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lord Summerisle, Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

It's not lousy copy. It's their decision - quite right, IMHO - to avoid cliche or being too on-the-nose.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

GDTATH!

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

New trailer.

Voodoo Child and Mazzy like this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Absolutely... I'm not even sure it was a good idea to have Roddy McDowall's Caesar spout out "Tonight we have seen the birth of the planet of the apes" at the end of "CONQUEST"...

And as far as awkward AND lame lines in a movie, the forced "Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape" line in "RISE" was totally unnecessary... Talk about embarassing and cringeworthy: That took the cake in that film...

5. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I remember the original series with Roddy McDowell, and Charlton Heston, good stuff.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] gotta love the nucular fallout people.....

6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Planet of the Apes" (1968) and "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" are two of my favorite films *ever*... As a matter of fact, "Planet" is my favorite film of any I've seen, ever...

This rebooted franchise isn't bad, but to me, it'll never hold a candle to the originals... And as far as people saying this rebooted franchise is prequels to the classic films: I don't think so...

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Here's another one.

Wayne Hubbard and Manimal like this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The final trailer, have to say the CGI is impressive to say the least, WETA continues to push forward.

FVDnz likes this.
  9. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to a possible reimagining of the original 1968 film, which would tie in more closely with the current trilogy of films. It's inevitable I suppose, as I'm sure they must have been thinking about it at some point. :p

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  10. I'm in. Are they still all living in Mill Valley...Muir Woods ? :tiphat:

11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I'm in

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  12. I've been very pleasantly surprised by this entire new reboot series -- maybe the single (and only? great) reboot of any beloved 60's or 70's franchise movie or TV franchise. Very much looking forward to it. Not saying the two movies so far have been perfect, but they've both been MUCH better than I had been expecting. So, like, the glass is 90% full on them -- as it were. Both exceeded expectations, which is a lot to say in this day and age.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Awesome.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Double feature of this and The Big Sick this weekend. Can't wait! :goodie:

15. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I saw this today and enjoyed it very much. It even gives a nod or two to the original Planet of the Apes (very obvious when you see a particular scene or two.)

Yep. There are many nods given to Apocalypse Now in this movie and Woody's character is the main one (There are a couple other scenes too that are nods to it also.)

Don't read the following spoiler if you want to be surprised by one major nod to the original:

One major nod to the original movie is Nova, a mute little girl.

Joey The Lemur likes this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

17. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

The remake is getting top reviews.

18. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

Very much looking forward to seeing this.
    I really enjoyed the previous two installments.
    Both delivered far more then I was expecting, exspecially 'Dawn'.

I'm a 'Apes' fan...so next week is going to be a treat when I get to see this new chapter.
    Looking forward to other viewers thoughts / reviews.
    Hoping for another great film!

-

19. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i liked the first reboot. i thought the 2nd one was just so so. judging by the trailers, this one looks to slide even further. hoping i'm wrong...

20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I'm way out.

Gavinyl likes this.
  21. Read two more great reviews. looking forward

22. From the NY Times :
    “War for the Planet of the Apes,” directed by Matt Reeves, is the grimmest episode so far, and also the strongest, a superb example — rare in this era of sloppily constructed, commercially hedged cinematic universes — of clear thinking wedded to inventive technique in popular filmmaking. The distinction of this run of “Planet of the Apes” movies has been its commitment to the venerable belief that science fiction belongs to the literature of ideas, and its willingness to risk seeming to take itself too seriously. Each episode has pursued a stark ethical or political problem, and each has shifted the moral ground from human to ape.

23. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Hate to tell you, you are not wrong.

I loved the originals, hated the reboots.

Gavinyl likes this.
  24. I only like the first film of the original series. A grr classic. The rest were schlocky. These new films are a wonderful upgrade. The Tim Burton film was a joke although it was fun to watch.

GodShifter and Joey The Lemur like this.
  25. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I was bicycling in Queens, New York several years back and looking at some of the overgrown remnants of the 1964 World's Fair. The first thing I thought of was Beneath the Planet of the Apes and the scenes where James Franciscus was wandering around in the remains of the subway. I just had to watch the film again!

Here's a picture with Franciscus in front of (perhaps not coincidentally) a subway wall that reads "Queensboro Plaza".

[​IMG]

andybeau and Gavinyl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.