Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by whaiyun, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

He talked about "taking a form..." Peter would find pleasing, or something like that, at the same time he showed himself as Hasselhoff. So I think he was just trying to appear as what Peter would expect his father to look like.

2. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Best tune not used: Sweet's 'Fox On The Run'. Why? Why?? It worked perfectly on the trailer. Should have made the film proper.

Vidiot and agentalbert like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Oh yeah forgot about that.
    Didn't like Vol 2 soundtrack
    too bland for my taste.

vince likes this.
  4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Saw it last Friday with my wife. We both really enjoyed Guardians 1, and we equally enjoyed Guardians 2. As has already been mentioned, the music wasn't as good in this one, but the Mr. Blue Sky opening and Brandy Kurt Russell sequence made up for it.

There were a few more forced-humor moments than I would have liked - which elicited crickets chirping in our co-viewing audience - but other than that it had the right mix of humor and pathos. A couple very touching, sincere scenes.

I agree with the de-aged Kurt Russell scenes looking A-MAZ-ING. He seemed a tad chunky in the face, but it did better match his aged appearance later, so I'm not going to split hairs.

Drax's additional screen time was a mixed bag - some responsible for those cricket moments - but the ones that resonated were pretty darned funny. I also like the new character, Mantis, and her scenes with Drax.

If you liked Guardians 1, I just don't see how you wouldn't like Guardians 2.

5. alexpop

Vol 2 ?
    A case of too many cooks.

6. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Saw it last night in 2D with my son (aged 31) in a half-empty cinema. We laughed all the way through. Loved it. Follow-ups are always a mixed bag but this one was no let down. Can't wait for the dvd release. I've dropped enough hints so I reckon I'll get the cd for my birthday next month. If there's a downer - and it's only a minor point - it's that poor ol' Karen Gillan has so much make-up on you can't see how pretty she is, bless her. She must be peeved about that......but I suppose all the money helps.

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think I must have been in the bathroom during that scene!

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

She will be the main reason I go see the Jumanji movie when it is released late in the year. She was my favorite Doctor Who companion too.

Chris DeVoe and davenav like this.
  9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yeah there was a little bit of that "lol isn't this awkward" humor mixed in but nothing that distracted from the story. The exchange of also getting more character depth was welcomed.

10. agentalbert

I thought the only thing odd was his chin. It was almost Leno-esque. Kurt's natural chin isn't really like that, is it? Maybe the facial hair keeps me from noticing.

alexpop likes this.
  11. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I finally saw it today and it did not disappoint!

Great character development for everyone, and is it funny? Oh, yeah!

As a Marvel fan, I was so glad to see Ego the living planet, and a great Kurt Russell reading of the role.

Baby Groot is a highlight, Drax is even better than in Vol. 1, Quill and Gamora are excellent.

And, yes... Karen Gillian kills it as Nebula!

Go. Just go!

Wounded Land likes this.
  12. alexpop

The thing I found so off putting was David Hasselhoff connection, not funny ..more hideous.

13. davenav

Oh, come on!

It was funny, as were the other culture references.

Wounded Land likes this.
  14. I thought it was terrific. It was more ambitious but, honestly, it lived up to those ambitions.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's amazing to me that "Brandy" is in the film twice and Kurt Russell even recites and explains some of the lyrics.

I thought it was fantastic work by Lola FX -- really, really good VFX. Just about flawless. Here's a short article that provides some clues on how they made Russell look so good. Hint: they also had a 30-year-old stand-in for him on some shots.

How Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 Actually Made Kurt Russell Look Young, According To James Gunn - Lola Visual Effects

Lola VFX also did all the work creating teenage Robert Downey Jr. for his Iron Man appearance a year or so ago, and they made Chris Evans look like a 90-lb. weakling in the first Captain America movie. All amazing pieces of work, totally believable.

Director James Gunn has said they were initially going to use the ELO hit "Living Thing" in the previous movie, but then he changed his mind at the last minute, which apparently perturbed Jeff Lynne (who owns all the publishing rights). Lynne reportedly was very difficult on licensing "Mr. Blue Sky" for the second film, but I think Disney twisted his arm and gave him a huge chunk o' cash to convince him. I bet that opening shot -- which is one continuous shot of "dancing Baby Groot" for 3 minutes -- cost millions of dollars to create, because of the sheer number of visual effects.

BTW, I mentioned to a pal of mine who worked on the film that I thought Rocket Raccoon was good enough that he should get his own movie. He laughed and said that actually, the Raccoon gets more total screen time than any other character in the movie, which surprised me.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    budwhite, kouzie, Pete Puma and 2 others like this.
  16. alexpop

Knight Rider dude?
    I could have lived without.

Only Drax had the funny lines in vol 2.

17. agentalbert

How in the world does Vin Diesel manage to get a paycheck for what he does in these movies? I don't anything distinctive in the appearance or movements of Groot that would let you know who the actor allegedly is. There's only one line, and the voice is so manipulated it could be anybody who recorded it.

18. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I thought the dancing baby Groot was very entertaining as were a few other bits... But half way through the movie my mind was wandering and I thought "what exactly is the plot of of this movie?". Other than "Peter Quill meets his dad" I have no idea. If I were to rank the Marvel movies that I've seen I'd put this in the bottom half easily.

19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Star-Lord meets his god-like father and is forced to fight to destroy him when realizing the true intent of being reunited.

That's a plot.

20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Finally saw this. I delayed, as I wanted to see it with my wife. We both enjoyed it - and loved some of the preview characters like Michelle Yeoh. We'll be there for 3, definitely.

21. agentalbert

So are the Sovereigns supposed to be villains in the next one? They really weren't established as being very villainous. After all, they did only come after the guardians because Rocket stole from them.

22. alexpop

Yeah he was more skinny in that period more Micky Dolenz.

23. Drew

Drew Senior Member

puny god and a puny plot.

alexpop likes this.
  24. davenav

I took the Sovereigns as a metaphor for America.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

On the previous film, Diesel explained that he also personally looped "I Am Groot" in something like 30 other languages, and performed it a hundred different ways each time and worked over a week on it. Granted, it's just saying one sentence thousands of times, but he gave the filmmakers what they wanted.

Well, you also have the plot of the two sisters who hate each other and eventually reconcile; you have Star Lord eventually realizing that his adopted father actually saved him and did care for him; we learned much more about Drax and Rocket; we found out how and why Star Lord's mother died. So it's not quite as simple as you put it.

Guardians 2 is up to about $659 million worldwide and is already well past the $632M gross of the first film. And the studio has greenlit a third film, to be released in 3 years (summer 2020). There's a pretty good chance that Sylvestor Stallone will have a much bigger part in that one.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.