Stacking question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 575maranello, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is it ok to put a PS Audio phono stage on top of a PS Audio regenerator?

2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

IMO, phono stages should be kept away from absolutely everything, but maybe that's just me. Then again, so many hum and noise problems that arise between TT and preamp are solved by keeping the phono stage at least a couple of feet from all other components and cables that it's worthwhile considering.

The PS Audio Regenerator is shielded. Position the phono stage on top of it and see what happens. If you can't hear any problems when you do so, then there aren't any problems in your setup when you do so. Trying it won't hurt anything.

SandAndGlass, Dennis0675 and Mike-48 like this.
  3. I agree completly

4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Agreed, if you don't hear a problem, there isn't one.

With that said, I'm not a fan of stacking gear. I think isolation and air circulation are good things for equipment. Sometimes you have to work with the space you have rather that the space you want. I don't think those two pieces of quipment throw out much heat or vibration, shouldn't be a problem.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  5. 575maranello

Ok thanks guys....Ill experiment
    I do have some isolation feet I could use....

6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I'd say be careful which isolation feet you use. Vibrapods, Isobearing, Isoacoutics and many others use synthetic rubber and other sorts of energy absorbing, flexible plastics that sometimes interact with metal finishes on components and sometimes also with the finishes on wood and synthetic veneers. The soft footer materials can leave stain marks on both black and silver/grey component surfaces.

I mainly use Stillpoints Ultra-Minis as fancy looking spacers between components to provide enough separation for good air circulation. I have no faith whatsoever in any other benefit touted by Stillpoints or any other similar maker except for the turntable isolator makers. I use Stillpoints because they're made of stainless steel, so they can't stain anything. They can scratch if they're dragged across another surface though, so I have a couple of different, medium size hole punches that I use to cut perfect, self-adhesive felt circles to attach to the bottom of Stillpoints. The same thing can be done for the bottom of Vibrapods and Isobearings.

Whatever those oils or other chemicals that leach out of Vibrapod and Isobearing materials actually are, they're impossible to clean off. I no longer use or own any Vibrapod or Isobearing products because unless their contact surfaces are covered by felt, they can too often cause staining of anodized, powder coated, painted, urethaned and oil finishes. I tried the products repeatedly for their alleged audio improvements, never heard any benefit whether they were in or out of various systems, became aggravated because of occasional staining, and simply dumped the products.

I'm getting ready to file a proper complain to a couple of these companies. Isobearings is exempt, IMO, because the company states clearly in its product instructions that care has to be taken to protect component and furniture surfaces because staining is a very real possibility. The feet on Isoacoustics stands are generally inert, but I recently set up an 'older' (the company is only a few years old to begin with) pair of stands that very quickly stained the top of a finished wood surface. The other Isoacoustic stands I've got (four other pair, including one of the newer Aperta models and three older pairs) seem perfect though on a variety of surfaces.

Eventually, a lot of components are traded in or sold or placed on consignment. Stains don't help resale value.

7. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

This is great information to know. Thanks!

I am not stacking my phono pre on my speed box, but I have them side by side. One thing I do use is a very small bamboo cutting board from Bed Bath and Beyond underneath my phono pre because without it, there is a cyclic "clicking" that I can hear when it is turned up and no LP on. If you do stack, this might be something to consider if you have noise issues... but then it is another thing to stack, so it may be another issue in terms of airflow.

8. 575maranello

Thanks good points!

9. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

What about stacking a Jolida JD9 phono stage and an Oppo 93? Any harm there and does it matter which is on top?

10. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Imho, a decent support system/rack should be considered as part of the system. Don't stack your boxes if you want to get the best out of them.....especially the phono stage:unhunh:. A good rack will also allow dressing the cables easier and prevent the rat's nest of wires which absolutely effects the end result.
    Just my .02.....

The Pinhead and quicksilverbudie like this.
  11. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I NEVER stack components, especially a preamp or phono stage. I don't know your rack situation, but try to avoid stacking if you can.

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I have 2 choices with a new AV rack I'm assembling this week. Build it with one shelf that keeps my TV at the same height and requires me to stack bdp and phono stage (as they are now) or with two shelves that will raise the the TV 9 " but give me more room to spread components out.

I would prefer one shelf/stacked as long as it's not hurting the sound of the phono stage. Wonder if there is something I can put between the phono stage and bdp to isolate them?

The rack does have 4 decent sized cable routing holes which should help my biggest problem as it's a rat's nest right now.

13. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

tried to put a Cassette Deck under my M3A and had very bad results...took the life out of everything> went back to Pre- on the shelf with Herbies footers under on a Adona shelf/stand.

sean

tyinkc likes this.
  14. Kristofa

I concur with not stacking anything in the turntable chain. My experience is that the sensitivity of these components is too high.

That said, my stand forces me to stack my Oppo BDP-93 on top of my Denon CD player. There is enough clearance to place thin sheets of sorbothane underneath each feet, but I don't have any of that stuff to work with and am not convinced I would hear a difference anyway. There isn't any heating issues I have noticed with stacking my optical players.

15. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Would it help if I turned off or unplugged the Oppo when I'm playing vinyl or would the proximity of the cables excetera still interfere?

16. Kristofa

It definitely couldn't hurt to turn it off, but unplugging seems extreme to me--unless you hear audible noise while it is in standby.

Try playing an LP you know really well while the Oppo is spinning a CD using your remote. Then while the album is playing, stop the CD. While it is still playing, turn the Oppo off. If you hear differences, then do it.

I can hear something while a disc is spinning in my Oppo sometimes, but not while it is just turned on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.