Beach Boys - Wild Honey LP in Stereo - 'Sunshine Tomorrow' 2Cds + live digital release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrsharko

Mrsharko Forum Resident

I was actually hoping for a Lei'd in Hawaii stand alone set. I know the shows are pretty sloppy, but i love the sparse arrangements and the haunting organ drone. I think those arrangements would have seemed pretty trippy at Monterey. Id also like to someday see them take all the bonus songs from the 2fer cds and put them on a single LP.
    I can't wait to hear these unreleased tracks though.

2. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I am very excited! Love the fact that there's some Smiley Smile stuff on there too. I would have been happy with them putting the remixed stereo version of that on there as well.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

**** THE BEATLES!!!

4. Daniel Plainview

If this sells well enough can they go back and issue the 1964 Keep An Eye On Summer set on physical CDs? PLEASE!?!?

Will Harris, FJFP, izgoblin and 6 others like this.
  5. Calico

Calico Senior Member

...and expand with another such set covering 1970-71 !
    It's great to be a Beatles and a Beach Boys fan in 2017 !

Yorick, FJFP, Dark Horse 77 and 5 others like this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

No no no.....one year per set! We need maximum unreleased material!

giantleech, FJFP, Hep Alien and 5 others like this.
  7. Wata

Wata Poller

Hi, I'm Watamushi. This seems to be my first 'proper' post here.

This is not only fantastic news to us all, but also shows the beginning of 'new' way of releasing Beach Boys stuff- instead of selling a great amount of compilations with almost the same tracklist, they've decided to open the can in the vaults and let us hear the stuff inside officially!

I hope they will go on releasing this kind of stuff until 2028- Possibly we could get expanded/remixed 15 Big Ones and Love You and Adult/Child.

8. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

I have a feeling that Lei'd in Hawaii and all the other heavily bootlegged 1967 shows will probably be dumped on the market around Christmas, like all the other copyright extension live releases (I'm not sad they're missing here). Really glad this is getting a separate release in advance - hopefully it will help draw attention to a very underrated period of the Beach Boys.

9. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Who wants to bet Mike had a hand in naming the title of this set? (Not that I'm complaining... :angel:)

10. Daniel Plainview

Hmm...I don't see references to "vibrations", "getting around", or "fun" so I say he had no hand in it. No hand.

;)

11. grillo

grillo Forum Resident

Wow! Especially looking forward to a stereo Aren't You Glad One of my absolute fave BB tunes. The whole set looks awesome (though the live Lei'd stuff is pretty, uh, shakey at best)

FJFP, Sammy Banderas and GetHappy!! like this.
  12. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

Yeah, but Mike did write the lyric. Though, "Bees Make Honey" is a more befitting title.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

It's interesting that they were attempting to revive older songs like this. "Thinkin' About You Baby" became "Darlin'", of course, Mayhap "Hide Go Seek" would have gotten updated lyrics slapped on it and became a whole new thing. Assuming of course that the "Hide Go Seek" listed on "Sunshine Tomorrow" is the same song (and how the hell could it not be?).

14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

No Mama Says remix?

15. Wata

Wata Poller

Mike's best time as a lyricist was around 1967-1970 IMO. He wrote some incredibly good lyrics- including Aren't You Glad, Let Him Run Wild, and later All I Wanna Do, Add Some Music, etc. Seems the lyrics on this album is totally better than the ones on Friends, even the music is probably not.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

Maybe it was beyond their extraction capabilities.

17. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Why does that sound dirty?? :eek:

18. Wata

Wata Poller

I guess they tried to be hip or get out of the chaos around them by re-making old songs (as you said) and covering the latest hits by various artists: The Letter, I Was Made to Love Her, Bluebirds Over the Mountain, With a Little Help (it's not exactly a hit, but it's the song after the opener on the album that is usually regarded as 'the greatest album of all the time')
    Finally they could only make two songs on Wild Honey this way, though.

Mr. Explorer and Hep Alien like this.
  19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I haven't read the credits in years, but it sounds like a Bruce song, to me.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

A 1970/71 set could easily be 4 discs :)

21. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I hate to be a Debbie Downer here, but is it true that the studio versions of The Letter and With A Little Help From My Friends are NOT a part of this set?? I'm hoping that the "live" versions (included here in both mono and stereo mixes) are actually the studio takes we've had since the 'Rarities' album.

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I am so damn excited for this. One of my favorite albums ever! I think both releases are going to be amazing. :)

Sammy Banderas and Mr. Explorer like this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

As far as I know there are no "live" versions of "Little Help" so it's probably the same version as from "Rarities". Probably just an error in the tracklisting.

24. Daniel Plainview

Too good for Bruce. Money on Brian.

ScienceFriction and GetHappy!! like this.
  25. Listening to the Sea of Tunes Smiley sessions, it seems obvious that Brian was heavily involved and mostly running the show.

longaway and trumpet sounds like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.