Anyone else see the new McIntosh TT? $2500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

clhboa, 4xoddic and beowulf like this.
  2. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

It's hard to tell from the photo. What's the plinth made of?

3. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

It certainly is pretty. Hopefully they come out with a few more faceplate-less offerings too. Maybe something like the MT-10. Might be right up my alley.

How difficult is it to change the tonearm on any of the clearaudio manufactured models (if it's even possible?)

4. McGuy

The plinth almost looks like walnut from the pic with a glass top plate, but it's really hard to tell. it's sooooooo perty...

5. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

Not absolutely sure with the MT-2 but MT10 and MT5 were made from a silicon acrylic (12 pounds & 2.5 inches thick on MT10), resting on a magnetically air dampened suspended ceramic bearing. Made according to McIntosh specs (w/close coordination with CA). CA makes all the tables/ and some cartridges and ships them to McIntosh in Binghamton, NY where the MT10/MT5 faceplate (glass) is attached & I believe rear stenciling. Re-boxed and sent out to reps. The MT10 did come with a Talisman and the MT5 Sumiko BP2.

I bought a MT10 in February 2008, installed a CA Stradivari and it was superb. Never had any issue with the unit -- other than it took McIntosh sometime to get the specs posted in their manuals. Called CA several times for mass, etc., & forwarded to Ron C. at McIntosh.

Best sir,

Bob

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  6. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

Someone has posted elsewhere on the net, w/photos showing how he mounted an SME V on a MT10. Probably possible to mount something else if desired on a MT5 and this Mt2. To find out the absolute feasibility of doing so, especially with another CA arm, would be to speak to Martin at CA in Germany.

Let me correct the post prior -- time ran out for me to edit it -- the MT10 comes with a McIntosh MCC10 MC cartridge -- but, everyone practically admits it's a CA Talisman.

Best Sir,

Bob

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Long Live Analog and MrRom92 like this.
  7. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I'm interested. My Mac preamp needs to get married. He's been single for too long. Maybe I can play matchmaker since this MT2 is closer to my budget for a turntable than the MT5 & 10. I was looking at the Clearaudio Concept and new Shinola Runwell.

8. McGuy

I have the Shinola Runwell, love it! I wear it more than my Rolex lately. And I get more compliments.

9. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I was chatting with a turntable guru who seemed to know a lot about the McIntosh turntables as a Clearaudio dealer. He stated the new MT 2 is based on a Clearaudio table not released in the USA at a lower price point than the Concept models. The MT5 and MT10 were also based on discontinued tables not released in the USA that were less than half the price, but had a few upgrades. They all had significant premiums in cost under the McIntosh branding.

10. McGuy

makes sense. and get the runwell off ebay! i bought 2 that way. saved a lot and still brand new in the box.

11. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Yeah, you probably have to figure that, with both Clearaudio and McIntosh getting their cuts, the Mac TTs are going to be a bit pricey for what they are.

But still... sooooooo... pretty..... :drool:
    .[/color

McLover likes this.
  12. McGuy

I'd buy the Mac for the looks if I had the dough. But since I added LEDs to my acrylic pro-ject, I get the similar look for a lot less...like $20!

13. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

any news?

14. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I have an MT5 and LOVE it. This model is using the glass top look that they use on their RS1000 speaker, which should look beautiful. I worry about dust, especially since word on the street (for whatever that is worth) is that it will not include a dust cover. And you can bet a McIntosh cover will be $300-$500, LOL!! Just something to keep in mind, I guess.

Really looking forward to reviews when someone here finally gets one!

15. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

A little video I found off YouTube, not directly related to the MT2, but it is shown in the video. It looks like a typical well built Mac product!

Does anyone think that it might have a removable headshell on the tone arm? (about 47 seconds into the video there is a nice close up)

I think this will be out sometime in November of this year ...

16. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I like how they show it with a cartridge that will NEVER come with it, LOL. I get WHY, but it is kind of funny. Supposedly this will cost $2500. We shall see. It is a nice looking product.

17. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

'Buy an amp from an amp company. Buy a turntable from a turntable company.'

18. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I get the sentiment, but countless McIntosh turntable owners, myself included, would claim we DID buy a turntable from a turntable company: Clearaudio. We paid extra for "mods" by McIntosh. Same as many folks do with other devices. If you feel those mods do not justify the price increase, I get that, too! Couldn't even argue it, tbh. BUT, the MT-5 I own, coupled with my Soundsmith MIMC Star cart, is an exceptional performer. Value prop, be damned ;)

AmericanHIFI and beowulf like this.
  19. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

Bad news for anyone, like myself, holding out for this table. I spoke to McIntosh it's launching in October for $4,500. The advertised price from the Munich show was incorrect

20. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Wow, that's a huge pricing mistake! What's the MT5 going for?

21. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

$6500 and it's about $3000 in performance. Sorry, all MT5 owners, I've set up about 4 of them and was not impressed. One came out of the box NOT QC!
    That's MAC for you, if you drank the Kool aid they got your bank account!

22. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

That's outrageous.

dchang81 and James Bennett like this.
  23. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

Yes I agree I was very disappointed to hear that

dchang81 likes this.
  24. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

That’s rubbish. I was considering a savings account for one; no longer.

25. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I too have an MT-5. Initially, I hated it due to the unnecessary and ill-advised inclusion of the horrible (IMHO) Sumiko Blu-Point 2 cartridge with it.

Since disposing of the Sumiko, I've tried 3 different cartridges with it and play it through the McIntosh MP-100 phono preamp->McIntosh MX-121 surround sound preamp->MC-275 tube amp->McIntosh XLS 340 speakers

1) Shure V15 Type III G -- Conical stylus -- tracks beautifully, very rich and lush sound on early '60's stereo and mono records. When I use the elliptical stylus for this cartridge, the sound becomes unpleasantly "sharper" but does reduce surface noise on '60's era classical LP's.
    2) Denon 103R -- Sounds okay but nothing stands out particularly well. Limited stereo image and less dynamic range than the McIntosh MT-10 cartridge.
    3) McIntosh MT-10 cartridge (really is a "hand-selected" ClearAudio Talismann 2 cartridge with the McIntosh name on it) -- Precise sound on vocals, wide soundstage, sometimes exaggerates sibilance on records that are mastered poorly (such as the Toshiba Sgt. Peppers from the 1979 Japanese Beatles box set). On symphonic RCA Living Stereo LP's this cartridge really comes into its own giving the lushest sound that I've ever heard coming from my stereo. This one also tracks (according to the HiFi News Test Record) the best (it even "passes" track 9 on side 1 -- the anti-skating torture test which none of the other cartridges that I've tried could do). These cartridges can be found as brand new OEM "replacement parts" on E-Bay/Audiogon for about $700.

beowulf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.