Old TV Shows that don't suck (revisited)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fr in sc, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Sorry about your Mom. I hope she recovered fully from whatever ailed her. It is a bit surprising to me the repeated mentions of Emergency as I didn't think it was much remembered anymore. I am into it because of my Julie London mania.

2. Pneumonia, she fully recovered, thanks. I remember Emergency because I used to work nights back in the pre-Internet days and Emergency repeats ran on a local station at about 3 in the morning when nothing else was on.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can tell you that Selleck is a really, really tall guy. When he supervised the 2-hour show finale, he came in and had no mustache -- he had worn one for 7 or 8 years and was glad to be rid of it. I wasn't part of the shoot in Hawaii, I was only part of the post crew who worked for the Universal producers (Don Bellasario & Glen Larson). They were good people and said that Selleck was a prince on the set. I think Selleck enjoyed doing the show, but I can imagine he was bitter over losing out on the role of Indiana Jones for Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Magnum
    is an example of a show that I never would have watched had I not worked on it, but as a mass-market entertaining detective show, it was OK. There's far worse out there. At this same time, we also did Murder She Wrote, Miami Vice, Quantum Leap, Equalizer, and a bunch of other Universal shows -- it was a real grind, tons of work. All of these shows had a reasonable level of quality, but (except for Vice) they kind of had that "Universal look" that all their shows had in the 1970s and 1980s. This started to radically change in the 1990s, particularly as they got into digital editing and eventually started shooting on HD.

4. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I heard about the "battle" for Raiders, Tom would have been great. Tom without a moustache that would be different. lol, Say, didn't Glen Larson do Battle star Galactica? I love those cylons! Didn't Glen also do Night rider. What young feller didn't have a poster of Kit. I'm impressed Vidiot!

5. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis is still charming and feels somewhat modern in tone.

The Good Life and Fawlty Towers occupy a formative place in my brain, so I'm not sure I can comment on them with any objectivity.

Monty Python's Flying Circus is so absurd I don't think it'll really ever age (some wardrobe notwithstanding).

I used to love The Dick Van Dyke Show, and some of them still hold up, but others I can't get through anymore.

Twilight Zone is still brilliant, and while I admit the original Star Trek skews toward camp at times, it's like comfort food.

I recently re-watched the first fours seasons of Rockford Files and it's still a lot of fun.

6. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not sure why, but I never think of Monty Python's Flying Circus or Fawlty Towers as old TV shows.

7. Johnny Rocker

Ester says [​IMG] Lol!:righton:

8. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

That's what Dick Van Dyke said 55 years ago.

Lecture on Comedy From The Dick Van Dyke Show

Chad

9. Johnny Rocker

Here's another[​IMG] [​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and Grand_Ennui like this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Redd once sold cotton!

11. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Eerie, Indiana

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

When you realize how Kafka-esque "Green Acres" really is, you'll find it really hilarious. "Newhart" had some of that, but "Green Acres" was really mean.

MikaelaArsenault and fr in sc like this.
  13. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I really like absurdist TV. Green Acres, The Monkees, Andy Richter Controls the Universe and Man Seeking Woman are four good ones. I'm not including shows with merely an absurd premise, like Mister Ed, My Mother the Car, Bewitched, etc.

Green Acres was unique in that no one except the lead character thought anything was out of the ordinary, including a TV-watching pig (the Ziffel's "son" who apparently went to school and was even drafted at one point) whom everyone could converse with (except the lead character, of course).

14. fr in sc

Sad how things ended for him, after The Twilight Zone, Seven Days in May, Night Gallery, to end up on a game show which name escapes me now. If he hadn't been so intense with high blood pressure he could've done some more great stuff. I always wished Spielberg could've hired him to work on the scripts for Jaws and Close Encounters, at the very least.

15. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Men Into Space
    . It was quite realistic. It's also the first TV show I can remember. One season ... 1959! I don't think it's ever been syndicated but you can watch it on YouTube.

16. fr in sc

Remember when TV Guide every year used to do an April Fool's section of the TV Listings when April 1st came around? I remember as a kid one year under Green Acres the show synopsis read "Oliver calls Arnold a pig." Cracked me up then and still does now. No accounting for taste, I guess.

17. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

I know it's a mini series so not sure if it counts but last year I watch North & South with Patrick Swayze and loved it as much as when I watched it the first time around.

18. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

The Rifleman is one I always go back to.

19. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

shouldn't this thread be "New shows that are Good"

20. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Is it actually any good? I've never seen it, but I'm familiar with the original British version Steptoe & Son.

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Cheers was phenomenal.

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I watched the entire series run a few years ago. Hits and misses. There are some great moments and anything with LaWanda Page and Red Foxx is gold IMO.

I got to watch Steptoe & Son when I lived in England. Guess you had to be there are the time.

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I love the show. First three seasons are fantastic. Fourth was quite good overall, though a bit different with Redd Foxx having the producers changed. Fifth was the weakest overall, with the sixth a bit better, though neither as good as the other years, but each have their moments.

Benno123 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I've been watching Three's Company. Such a great show.

Benno123 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Dobie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.