Old TV Shows that don't suck (revisited)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fr in sc, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonnyKidd

JonnyKidd Forum Resident

Gilligan's Island.
    Get Smart.

Those two spring to mind pretty much immediately.

Jimbo912 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

A couple of years ago I decided to do a run through of the entire series purely for nostalgic reasons. Once I put aside the usually jokes e.g. this episode is where they have a misunderstanding, etc I found I liked a lot more than I thought I would. Of course I liked it when I watched it as a kid but I was watching with grown up eyes this time around. It has some really good moments and although the story lines can be a bit corny I thought the acting and timing (comedic wise) really worked.

3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

5. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

For me, an 'old' TV show is one originally broadcast in black and white. I enjoy many of those, but lately I got a kick out of watching 'Decoy,' a police drama starring Beverly Garland.

6. greenhorn

greenhorn Forum Resident

You Bet Your Life w Groucho Marx. It may look old but it was funny then and it's still funny now. It's funny because he was a character and he was able to naturally interact with the guests and George. And while not blatant the humor could be grown up at times.

Jazzmonkie, fr in sc and Alan G. like this.
  7. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

It can be hard to tell sometimes if an old TV show really sucks, or if it appears to suck, but is actually brilliant. "Laverne & Shirley" falls into this limbo.

8. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

It's not really "old" but Northern Exposure was a show that was way ahead of it's time. I have some of it in DVD and it's really very well written.

Ethan B and kevywevy like this.
  9. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Were those two perfect for the roles or what? Matthau and Lemmon were good in the movie, but I always thought Klugman and Randall nailed those characters for all time once the TV series debuted.

MMM and sberger like this.
  10. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident Thread Starter

And all Groucho needed was a look, a raise of his eyebrows and/or a pregnant pause to make the humor grow up!

11. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Never cared for it. One joke show, repeated for 7 years.

12. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I haven't watch Green Acres in a long time but, it always makes me laugh when I do especially the ones with Arnold the pig lol what a witty but funny show a good break from everyday TV. :laugh: I was able to get it on Netflix last year then it was unavailable.

Michael and Sternodox like this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Man, I would just love to see an updated version of Coronet Blue...the title alone is such a cool name.

14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Alias Smith & Jones was fantastic until Pete Duel killed himself and Roger Davis failed in their attempt to keep the character going.

BlackStrat_Fan likes this.
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

You don't say! I purchased the first season's worth (1979-80, one of the only two released) of KL, and boy, was that ever a waste of money-- not even Larry Hagman could help it!

16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

A recently discovered old series has been fascinating me in my slow watch of it: THE LONER. This was the last black & white series to be introduced on CBS and it only ran for one season. It was a Rod Serling creation, so it sort of fits in the TWILIGHT ZONE idiom in that regard. Rod wrote most of the episodes and you can hear his style of words and phrases in the dialog. The series follows a man after his turn in the Civil War, riding through the west in search of finding out who he is and where he wants to go. Lloyd Bridges is "the Loner" of the title, proficient with a gun and solving problems he runs into, and it was a series I barely remember from its original run. It aired just before GUNSMOKE on Saturday nights and it's great to be able to watch now on DVD.

Early episodes feature some narration in the opening credits, done by no other than the "Control Voice" of THE OUTER LIMITS, Vic Perrin, and the DVDs from Shout Factory still have the sponsor images on the closing credits. The episodes are not greatly remastered or anything, but they look acceptable from probable non-use over all of these years.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This was a show that should be more fondly remembered - it doesn't suck!

beccabear67, bmasters9 and Dr. Pepper like this.
  17. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

I watched that show as a kid and enjoyed it. Recently found it on Hulu and it holds up pretty well.

18. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I second Rod Serling's The Loner being an awesome find and one I have wanted released for years! It's under $10 now from Amazon and a ridiculous value at that price about 25 cents an episode!

beccabear67 likes this.
  19. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

I've been enjoying several B/Ws lately, two of them being Westerns, one a detective/cop series, and one a legal series.

The Westerns are Have Gun, Will Travel w/the late Richard Boone, and Wanted: Dead or Alive w/the late Steve McQueen (both on CBS; one from 1957-63 [I have three full seasons of that one, and the first parts of the fourth and fifth; have seen through the first two seasons' worth, working on the third], and the other from 1958-61 [I have all of that one, and have seen it all]).

The detective/cop series is M Squad w/the late Lee Marvin, on NBC from 1957-60 (I have all of that one, and have seen it all).

The legal series is Perry Mason w/the late Raymond Burr (I have 7 seasons' worth [1957-64] of the original PM CBS series, and have seen through all of them; I also have the all-in-one of all the NBC movies, but IMO, the CBS B/W series holds up much better than the 80s and 90s NBC movies).

And BTW, one more that, to me, doesn't come anywhere near sucking (this one in color): Petrocelli (1974-76 NBC legal series w/Barry Newman, Susan Howard, and the late Albert Salmi). I have seen all of this one through from the VEI/CBS DVD full release (available on Amazon); there is also a very well-written book about Petrocelli by Sandra Grabman that is also on Amazon.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  20. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

US network shows (old and newer) I revisit, in whole or in smaller doses (some didn't last):

"The Honeymooners"
    "I Love Lucy"
    "The Twilight Zone"
    "The Addams Family"
    "The Carol Burnett Show"
    "Hogan's Heroes"
    "Star Trek"
    "Twin Peaks"
    "Police Squad"
    "Frank's Place"
    "Cop Rock" (every now and then, I get the urge... truly one of the most off-the-wall ideas for network TV.)

British shows:
    "Fawlty Towers"
    "Are You Being Served?"
    "Keeping Up Appearances"

21. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree, although I disliked the ending with Jack suddenly falling in love with Vicky. I wish Jack and Janet had ended up together (in the last season slowly moving from friends to something more...), even if the series didn't continue.

MMM and Benno123 like this.
  22. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

MIAMI.
    VICE.

du-du-du-du-DUDUDUM :cool::cool::cool::uhhuh:

23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I tolerated Threes Company for about one season before I'd had enough. I remember liking Ritter's next series Hooperman but since I haven't seen it in 30 some odd years, I can't speak to it's suckage.

bmasters9 likes this.
  24. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

It's out on DVD, so you can quite easily revisit it-- both seasons' worth of that 1987-89 ABC police/detective series have been released from Olive Films, and are on Amazon.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the list is huge for me...too many to list. HUGE fan of 60's TV!there wasn't many I didn't like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.