Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by whaiyun, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

Saw this movie last week and liked it very much, although not as much as the first. I suppose that's because I didn't know what to expect from the first movie and everything was new. Loved the visuals, characters, and had a lot of laughs...a great continuation of the vibe and spirit of the first movie.

Ahhhh yea, I was instantly engaged in the movie when I heard "Brandy" (one of my all time favourite pop songs) and also noted that it figured so much throughout. Good choice for sure...

Vidiot likes this.
  2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Also true. I was just responding to someone who didn't seem to remember what the plot was at all, so :p

3. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I saw this with my 10 year old son over the weekend. It was better than I thought it would be, considering that I never saw Volume 1 and had absolutely no knowledge about anything concerning this franchise. Some decent humor and the juxtaposition of state-of-the-art CGI with Brandy and My Sweet Lord was quite entertaining.

4. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

My kids love it. Their mom ordered the soundtrack from a Amazon. I on the other hand had about seven tracks in my iTunes drive. Then I tortured the local library to track down four more songs on various compilations courtesy of the New Jersey inter-library loan system. The only two I couldn't find were Lake Shore Drive and Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang.

PS, I had 8 out of 11 tracks from Awsome Mix Vol. 1. I had to buy the soundtrack track for The Rasperries, Rupert Holmes and The Runaways.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  5. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Saw this today. Liked it quite a bit. First impression is that it's not as good as the first but still a pretty good sequel. Have to watch it a few more times when it comes out on Blu-ray.

6. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

Saw this today at the theater and loved it. I thought it was better than the first one.

7. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Michael Rooker's storyline was handled very well. Overall a terrific sequel that built on the success of the first.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm glad that the truth is finally coming out about the VFX work on Guardians 2:

Despite What He Says, Kurt Russell's De-Aging Effect in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Was Mostly VFX

[​IMG]

“I wouldn’t say he used mostly makeup,” Townsend told the website. “It was mostly makeup, plus about three months, per shot, of several artists working on each shot!”

The veteran vfx supe further explained that they re-shot Russell’s performance with Schwartz to serve as a guide for Lola, the vfx company that handled the sequence. He compares the process to “digital plastic surgery,” such as smoothing out the skin and reducing the size of pores, but “where you can’t take the original photography and manipulate it, you then have to go back to the picture double and literally skin-graft parts of his face onto the main actor.”

Yep, that's more like it. Three months of work per shot. Lola VFX is also the company that did a lot of the de-aging/face-replacement work on Brad Pitt in The Strange Case of Benjamin Button, as well as the de-aging work on Robert Downey in the last Captain America movie.

Russell is a fine actor and does great work, but hey... he's 66, and the character looks like he's maybe 30 in the movie.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just saw it. I think more writers would have been better. It was one step away from a fart joke movie. really dumb jokes. If he's trying to do the fun parts of Star Wars, fine, but these films have never earned a sense of awe from me. Mythology light. Mostly too silly for me. Like 9-years olds were the intended audience.

10. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I must be six nine year olds...

11. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Exactly the same here. never heard the song before watching the movie. Love it.
    A lot of artists have subsequently "borrowed" the piano bridge for their own songs.
    For example Housemartins "Build" is a slowed sown version of the riff.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And for those into the film, here's a remarkable VFX breakdown showing how some of the more complex effects shots were done in Guardians 2:

The details on how Rocket Raccoon was literally constructed from bone to muscle to skin to fur was absolutely mind-boggling. This is really, really extraordinary work -- and it pays off, since I think Rocket is one of the best (and most believable) characters in the entire show.

I was doubly surprised that they featured "Brandy" several times in the film and had Kurt Russell recite some of the lyrics, and they reflected on how the words described his own existence. (Though Russell's character twisted them in a positive way, kind of ignoring his own secrets.)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Deuce66, mikeyt and Simon A like this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I rewatched this thinking I might change my mind, but this time around I realized this movie has almost zero plot. It's a bunch of scenes of characters having mini-epiphanies that aren't really related to the story as a whole, and if it wasn't for the endless stream "I'm so stupid jokes" there''d be nothing at all to make it worth watching -- least of all a story. There's absolutely no thrust to the movie, it just kind of meanders around while we supposedly pity and fall in love with it's characters. Well, for some of us, it didn't happen.

Drifter likes this.
  14. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Is it available as a rental yet?

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think a lot of movie fans think that CGI is "easy", a cop out of sorts, I disagree, when it's done well you have to appreciate the hours that go into it and the tech advancements that are sometimes required to render these characters and make them come alive for the audience. Rocket is very well done and quite believable.

[​IMG]

Vidiot and David Campbell like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naaa, I don't agree. The movie has a plot, actually a fairly complicated one:

The Guardians of the Galaxy are on a mission to do an errand for the Sovereigns, a privileged alien race of great race. Rocket Raccoon steals a valuable object from the Sovereigns, setting off an all-out war. The Guardians are temporarily rescued by a man who calls himself "Ego," who turns out to be Peter Quill's long-missing father. Over time, we realize that he's a giant creature of energy who has taken human form in order to procreate... a process that took millions of years, where he killed thousands of his offspring who didn't inherit his important powers. In the meantime, Ego's servant, Mantis, reveals to the other Guardians that Ego is hiding secrets; Gamora is reunited with her sister, who wants to kill her but ultimately joins her in the fight against Ego; Rocket and longtime foe Yondu join forces to help rescue the Guardians on Ego's planet. Ego's plan is to essentially take over the entire universe with son Peter's powers amplifying his own. Together, the Guardians are able to narrowly defeat Ego, which means removing Peter's powers; Yondu sacrifices himself in the battle, proving himself to be the real father that Ego never was. The entire story revolves around the ersatz family that the Guardians have, while reminding them that despite the flaws with their actual birth families, they can trust and get along with each other enough to form a different kind of family.

And that's the simplified version. You can say the movie is hokey or silly or even predictable, but it's not a film that lacks a story. It's got one, plus it's a fairly complicated story with characters that go through quite a few changes -- particularly Rocket Raccoon and Groot.

82% on RottenTomatoes, top-rated by the Washington Post and USA Today, and made $863 million (before home video). I wouldn't exactly say this is a bad movie with no plot; it's a comic book movie with a lot of action and some stereotypical situations, but I wouldn't criticize it more than that. Guardians 2 is currently the #3 most successful film in America of 2017, just under Beauty & The Beast and Wonder Woman.

[​IMG]

bru87tr, Jim B., Stormrider77 and 4 others like this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

WOW!!!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOVED IT!

bru87tr, Deuce66 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  19. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Me too!

I bought the Blu-ray a while ago. The trailer did nothing for me and the reviews swayed me. Watched it this past weekend and for a long movie it didn't feel like it. Loved it!

It has a plot and is very funny.

Vidiot and Michael like this.
  20. Michael

Could not find anything wrong with this. : ) just cements my case as to never trust anyone but yourself when it comes to picking movies and music!

bru87tr likes this.
  21. Michael

VUDU may have it...

22. Michael

Bradley Cooper is absolutely perfect as Rocket...

Vidiot likes this.
  23. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Best role he's played so far.

Michael likes this.
  24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

They should put THAT on the box!:righton:

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I never saw this. Found a bluray for cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.