Beach Boys - Wild Honey LP in Stereo - 'Sunshine Tomorrow' 2Cds + live digital release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

indeed--one more reason to be excited about this whole thing (as if additional reasons were required--it's actually coming out!!!), and to hope for more of the same in coming years.

smitquest

2. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I was simply referencing that they've presented "With a Little Help...." on this new set as part of the "Lei'd In Hawaii" album. It's of course a studio track, and it wasn't apparently particularly known by fans until now that "With a Little Help..." was actually slated for the "Lei'd" album, where it presumably would have been sweetened with crowd noise, etc. as the other tracks would have been.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  3. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Now listed on Amazon.ca at $20.65 Canadian, which is a mere $15.34 U.S. based on today's exchange.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

How can they sell something with so much stuff packed onto it so cheaply? No excuse for anyone not to grab this and give a listen. That era BB's is truly fascinating. Hard to go wrong at that nice price.

5. Overdubbed crowd noise on With A Little Help From My Friends? What an original idea!

Also, while it's highly unlikely to ever happen, does anyone else think this release should retail with a hype sticker mentioning the prominent use of Darlin' in an episode of The Big Bang Theory?

6. Braulio Acosta

Braulio Acosta Forum Resident

Let's just hope the package isn't crap.

7. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

I liked the aggression of the Susie Cincinnati remix, and the extra vocals near the end of the song. It's my go-to version. Same with the longer version of Rock 'n Roll Music. The Sail Plane Song creation here creates a cool surround effect in my headphones.

8. Joel1963

Hope you ultimately like the new Wild Honey stereo mix.

9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Right? Very interesting era, I always find a groups transitional times to be where they are most interesting. Fantastic value set.

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I don't think "Little Help" was ever going to be part of the original Lei'd album. I think only the first 6 tracks listed in that section of "Lei'd" on the new set is from the actual mixed down mono reel. We were always told they got 6 songs into it before abandoning the project, and this totally fits the bill when looking at the tracklisting. I think the actual assembled album ends at "Sloop". The recording up to this point resembles the setlist of the actual shows. After that it gets a little strange. Me thinks the compilers have attempted to complete the live album themselves using the material available. I could be wrong. They'll probably include a photo of the reel box and that will put me in my place. But a live album without "Barbara Ann"? I don't buy it.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  11. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

You're in for a surprise - besides disc one track 23 (A Thing or Two backing track and vocals), disc two maybe tracks 4 and 5 (Wind Chimes alt tag and Wonderful backing track), none of this was on Sea of Tunes. The live 67 shows were released on "A Vocal Element" on Hang Ten and the DC show from 11/19 (California Girls, Graduation Day on disc 2) was also on Hello Surfing Goodby God on Vigotone. I think the live Aren't You glad on disc 2 comes from the Big Sur concert but curiously the track list just says 1970 unknown location.

Mr. Explorer, Tristero and mbrownp1 like this.
  12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I don't like that at all. It was a dumb decision.

13. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Took me ages to find the track listing for this baby, so I thought I would bump it up. Looks great.

Shawn and marmalade166 like this.
  14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Content-wise, I think he's great, but mixing-wise, he can be hit or miss. You just cherry-picked the exact best work Linett has done with the Beach Boys in regards to mixing, as far as I'm concerned.

Mr. Explorer and FJFP like this.
  15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:laugh:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Do the Internet, social media, forums such as this one, etc. make it easier now for labels to target niche sets such as this one to their audience; and does that make it more cost-effective, etc?

E.g. I assume there's less pressure to ship X number of units to record stores across the country, set up posters or displays, etc. in order to move the desired amount of product. Nowadays, every serious BB fan knows about this well in advance of its release, has likely already ordered it online and so on. All the label has to do it send out a press release and cover art and their audience is primed to purchase.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Joel1963

If this is in reference to Help You Rhonda, not sure I understand the decision to change that either. Maybe it was the smoke in the air. :nyah:

supermd likes this.
  18. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Yes, I REFUSE to buy this amazing release if the packaging is crap.

19. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

And Alan Boyd.

ShardEnder likes this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I hear the packaging for the digital download is exquisite.

21. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I think that would be kinda tacky and probably not that fruitful. I'm not a stick in the mud; I'm happy to see their music cross-promoted up the wazoo if it helps. But that episode aired some time back, and the song got its little spike in online sales. A stereo mix of the song was already available at that time as well via "50 Big Ones" and "Made in California."

So I think shopping BB material to shows like that is a good idea. But I don't think a high-end, quality archival project like this needs a "As Seen on TV!" sticker.

supermd likes this.
  22. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Yeah, I don't think we know for sure. The press release wording, coupled with the header at the front of that "Lei'd" group of songs on the tracklisting, and the listing itself seems to suggest it did all come from one "assembled" mono mixdown reel. They've stuck "Little Help" in the middle of the songs, which suggests at the very least they found some indication it was meant to be on the "live" album. The press release mentions that they "completed and mixed" all of the songs, and had only yet to add the canned audience to it.

As for "Barbara Ann", I don't think that tells us much one way or the other. This was presumably going to be a single album of 10-12 songs or so, and was already slated to include possibly 2-3 semi-unreleased cover versions. I think it's quite possible in the midst of what was clearly a scatter-brained concept from the outset (a fake live album with weird cover versions), they could have easily not planned "Barbara Ann" for the album.

I don't think the compilers had any need to fake presenting that grouping of songs as "the" album. If they were just throwing a grouping of songs together, I don't think they would have put that "Lei'd in Hawaii 'Live' Album" header over that grouping of songs.

Mr. Explorer, The Beave and supermd like this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

A jewel case with a cardboard slip cover? Give me a break. I'll take my business elsewhere! Pah!

24. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Regarding packaging, I don't think they've done any BB releases of recent times in particularly bizarre or poor packaging. The "Party" 2-CD archival set simply came in a standard slim 2-CD jewel case. I would imagine either that or some sort digipak foldout packaging is likely for this new '67 set.

Mr. Explorer and supermd like this.
  25. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

I believe that Bruce has stated that the song was never going to be used for any release. That the speed differences used in recording were experimental. Basically, that they were just messing around in the studio when they recorded it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.