Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Considering that this is a modern surround mix of a 35 year old album, chances are pretty good that the original take was lost or damaged. It's not the first time something like this has happened with surround mixes... tapes go missing, unfortunately.

2. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

It was completely remixed in 5.1 from the ground up. Not just remastered. Rich Chycki did the remixes for sectors and just thought it would be fun to use different takes. The 2112 remix is great; it sounds faithful yet expanded. Signals sounds incredibly dry, particularly with vocals.

Plan9 and Brian9229 like this.
  3. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Limelight sounds very different on the DVD verses the CD. You can hear the separations of the guitars (especially the chorus effect). Even at the end you can hear the multiple guitars clearer.

Brian9229 likes this.
  4. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

You know though, I really feel that's just plain wrong on many levels. These guys(Rush)put all the hard work in to create these exceptional albums, including take after take after take of vocals, or whatever it may be, to get it just so, and they do this for months on end usually. I'm all for experimenting with sound mixes, as long as the end result consists of the exact performance originally released. Oh jeez, I'm sorry, I definitely didn't mean to come off pushy, or abrasive in any way, I was honestly shocked anyone would mess with performance takes.

5. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

I find it quite interesting that people here are praising the remixes by Steve Wilson and others critical of the Signals remix.

Steve Wilson remixed Sparkle In The Rain by Simple Minds and did a revisionist hack job on it due to his indifference to the original 80's production.

Chycki did the same thing here, for different reasons I'm sure. His remixes of One Little Victory and Earthshine were lackluster too.

Sometimes its just better improve on things rather than redoing the whole thing thinking everyone will like your tastes.

Oh I forgot to mention that remix of Vapor Trails with the Ride Cymbal barely audible in most of the tracks, what a tragedy!

6. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

For Going For The One the AF won my shootout. For Drama the 1st Japan AMCY is the only good mastering of that album, it is in fact a unique mastering, and sounds great. I'm happy with both of those, so for me it's cool. I wish he would do the first 2 Yes albums however. Maybe Geoff needs a hug from the Buggles guy.

7. 32XD Japan1

So it's an absolute, no way, done deal on Wilson getting his hands on the Rush catalog? If that's the case he's done some stuff for Virgin like the King Crimson catalog, maybe he can tackle the Genesis stuff next. He's a big prog guy so that would be a great match. Maybe even Philly would be cool with it, if he can drag himself away from counting his money. As for Rush, I guess it's 16 bit. I have some really nice sounding old cd pressings, but the flats would be the ultimate in 24/192.

8. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I haven't heard that remix, but what you've described is not the Steven Wilson I'm familiar with. Based on numerious remixes I've heard from him, he is, if anything, too respectful to the original mix.

SW has his own album coming out in a couple months with tour(s) coming, so I believe the guy has his plate full for the near future.

His 5.1 remix of Marillion's Misplaced Childhood is about to be released, and he has stated that he has the master tapes to do a surround mix the Brave album down the road... but sadly can't commit to further Marillion remix projects because of his schedule.

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

A lot of classic Rush albums have been remixed in 5.1 recently. I guess Steven would like to do some of them but I don't see Rush doing yet another set of remixes in the near future.

SW won't do any Genesis remixes because he is not that a fan: Steve Wilson "never much of a fan of Genesis"

The 2015 Rush Hi-Res downloads done by Sean Magee are arguably the best Rush has ever sounded for most of the albums. You should look into them; available in 192/24, 96/24 and 48/24.

10. Russell Weston

This! Very dynamic and neither overly compressed, nor EQ'd to death. Signals could use a tad more top end and the cymbals sound slightly harsh (when compared to MFSL), but other than that, it's a great sounding catalog.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  11. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Unfortunately, all the ones up through A Show of Hands are audibly watermarked, thanks to Universal's stupidity. The Atlantic albums that follow are not watermarked, however, and Magee's masters of those are sublime, especially for Feedback and Snakes & Arrows. The only way to get these is to buy the vinyl releases, though, which include download cards/codes for the hi-res, and these supposedly expired at the end of last year. Has anyone tested them to see if they're still good, despite the expiration date?

12. Russell Weston

The only watermarking I've heard is the reverb at the beginning of Mystic Rhythms

marblesmike likes this.
  13. IMHO, the "ride cymbal complaint" is completely bogus. It was mixed out of the intro of ONE song as a creative decision. Big whoop. The entire kit is audible in every other song. One person made the inaccurate "ride cymbal complaint" and then it spread like wildfire across the internet. It's as if no one has actually listened to the remix.

JediJoker and marblesmike like this.
  14. 32XD Japan1

I'm more of a 2 channel guy so the 5.1 stuff really isn't of much interest. I have up to 2112 of the HD tracks, and didn't go further because I found I liked my old 16 bit versions of WG Atomics, Canadian Anthems and 2nd Japan pressings better. But that's just me. I remember preferring the EQ on the 16 bit versions more. Surprised to hear Wilson doesn't like Genesis. I'm sure Philly is all broken up about it.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Of the downloads I have (most of the 70s and up to PW, + S&A), only Power Windows is audibly watermarked. I heard HYF and it was watermarked too. I guess not all downloads everywhere were watermarked.

16. JediJoker

Some of us have. It would almost be bearable and better than the original mix if not for the wimpy, beater-forward kick drum sound. As it is, for me, the best way to hear Vapor Trails is the Andy VanDette remaster of the original mix. (I hold out hope for Magee masters of the original and/or the remix; there must be more dynamics in there.)
    I do believe they all are, worldwide, but it's not equally easy to hear the watermark on every album/track. I have the 24/96 download of Magee's Fly By Night from the Blu-ray, and the first time I listened to it, I didn't notice. In subsequent listens, however, I have spotted the "warble" and it does spoil the otherwise great experience slightly. As for the panning/channel balance issue, if it is there, it's quite slight to me, even on headphones.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  17. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

My version of Moving Pictures is watermarked. I hear it in the drums during the intro to Tom Sawyer.

JediJoker likes this.
  18. 32XD Japan1

Pardon my ignorance but what is a watermark.? I have a couple of these albums in HD format but never gave them a super critical listening.

19. JediJoker

Are you ready to go down the rabbit hole?

Frost15 likes this.
  20. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

So, the actual bluray content is the 2013 Van Dette re-master, but, the download code is for the 2015 Magee re-master?

21. JediJoker

Yes.

oneway23 likes this.
  22. 32XD Japan1

Ok thanks, so it's some kind of anti piracy scheme, but after reading a bit about it, I'm not sure how Universal is going to bring pirates to justice with these watermarks, and if it's vandalism from cyberspace corrupting their files, then that's a useless battle, considering the US gov can't keep hackers from getting into classified material. So here again, I cannot understand what purpose this watermarking serves Universal other than selling defective product to paying customers.

Rockin' Robby and JediJoker like this.
  23. JediJoker

Welcome.

24. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

And none of the MP releases (Blu-ray/DVD or new downloads) are hi-res. They are upsampled from the original 16/44.1 mixdown.

The multi-tracks are analog, though, and have been digitized at 24/96 (for the surround mix), so if there is just _one_ Rush album that SW tackles, I'd love it to be this one, to get at least a hi-res stereo mix. (Even better would be a all-analog remix but, sadly, I can't foresee that ever being financially viable.)

rcsrich likes this.
  25. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Yes I realize it it's upconverted, it's still how I describe the stereo mix.